HybridZ

What is your Top Speed. On or Off Track.

DSCF0130.sized.jpg

In my neon. cf of drag is .29 or .30, and yes, a rear surfboard spoiler on a fwd car does work at that speed. Mopar performance ecu, no speed governor. 5600rpm in 5th shown, speedo only goes to 120. I've had it at 6100rpm in 5th, calculated out to ~135mph. final ratio: 3.94:1, 5th is .81.

On my YZF600R, 155mph indicated. Bike kept pulling, but I decided I didn't want to get somewhere my brain couldn't arrive at before the bike did.

In my Z with stock L24, poorly tuned running rich webers, 5 speed and 3.7 gearing, 115 indicated. I've attempted 110 in a stock Z without the airdam, and I didn't like the loose front end with slight feeling of lift.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Deluded

?Fact: A stock bodied 280ZX lowered several inches has hit 226MPH at Bonneville without flipping or spinning?

uh, what class was that in? i looked through the scta record book for blown and unblown gt, but there are a lot of other classes. z car bodies are limited mostly to gt though. and the L28 is F engine size. we just set the f/b-gt record last month at bonneville. at 224+mph in a z32 (old record was owned by Dandy Tanaka's z32). car was a MAJOR handfull for the driver from 200mph-up. car has about 1500# of ballast added for handling and traction...wot couldn't be applied until very top of 3rd gear and even into 4th.

Guest bastaad525

I did a top speed run up the very deserted 210 freeway here in SoCal... this freeway is usually dead empty late at night... I did this at about 3am. Anyways, with my 240z, lowered, front lip spoiler, a 2.9L N/A SU'd engine, late 70's 5 speed and 3.9 gear, the speedo read 145 when I let off, it was still pulling ever so slightly. I later found out my speed gear was wrong, and used the transmission calculator to figure real speed, it was just shy of 130mph. The car did not feel floaty at all... i was actually surprised how stable it was at the time. That motor put 160hp to the wheels

I've been VERY curious to see how fast my current turbo motor could go... I'd guess at least 140mph... but with the Z's crappy aerodynamics I can't even pretend to guess how much more speed the extra 70hp is worth (asking around here has given me very mixed opinions there!). I also would not trust my motor not to melt down from holding it on boost that long... even with a good I/C and plenty of fuel, I just have this bad feeling any top speed run would be that motors last. Any way that someone could allay that fear for me?

Either way... I dont think I'll ever have the nuts to try it.

on my blue Z using the stock 77 5-speed, stock rear end with just the turbo motor at 10 or 12psi i had the speedo showing 140mph before i shut down. still pulling, but it sorta felt i was running out of gear... ???? werid.

has a air dam and i know that helped big time, but the car felt pretty good at those speeds..

The LT1 Camaro didnt know what hit him :)

mike

I've hit redline (6,000 rpm) in 4th which is 120 mph. Running 3.70:1 differential with 215/55-16's. Theoretically 5th would reach 160 and 6th 240 mph but 365 flywheel hp won't get it there.

I have either run out of road or nerve in each situation where the car has gotten north of 125 mph even though it was still pulling pretty hard.

?Fact: A stock bodied 280ZX lowered several inches has hit 226MPH at Bonneville without flipping or spinning?

uh' date=' what class was that in? i looked through the scta record book for blown and unblown gt, but there are a lot of other classes. z car bodies are limited mostly to gt though. and the L28 is F engine size. we just set the f/b-gt record last month at bonneville. at 224+mph in a z32 (old record was owned by Dandy Tanaka's z32). car was a MAJOR handfull for the driver from 200mph-up. car has about 1500# of ballast added for handling and traction...wot couldn't be applied until very top of 3rd gear and even into 4th.[/quote']

Deluded, The link to the picture if fixed now, sorry. The picture shows the car in a different class. Congrats on finally bringing the F /BGT record back to the US and with a Z no less!!!!! The above 280ZX was run against the same record, but blew a rear tire on the record run in 1990 or 91, I can't remember. The qualifying run went about 224MPH and the record run went 226MPH before the blow out. The car belongs to a friend and mentor of mine. I'd enjoy talking to you about your experience if you send me your email.

Folks, take a look at the below link. This is a major accomplishment to break a Bonneville record that has stood for over 13 years. Check the F /BGT class.

http://www.scta-bni.org/Bonneville/records/BNIrecs_cat_f.htm

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I've hit a 145 in my 82 na 280zx with cam exhaust and cold air. Stock tires turning 5500 rpms in 5th going to take off the rear wing and get some light covers and try again once I get it fixed. Car felt very stable and with blown struts the wing bottomed out the rear supsension.

Well, when I drove a 91 300zx twin turbo I managed 165 on a deserted 3am HW 5 run. stock turbos, big HKS intercoolers, chipped ECU, boost was at about 15psi.

Very stable, CD player was playing, and everything was quite sane. Slowing down to 100 seemed like a ridiculously slow speed, right after that !

Similar part of the same road I once encountered a pair of BMW 850's traveling together at night. They were rather cheeky, so I reeducated them a bit, again to 165. Slowing down to 135 or so, they wouldn't give up. I gave them a good 100 yard lead, and enjoyed another blow by. Stock 300's are chip limited to 155, but I don't even know if the 850's hit that, or they had a similar speed limit. I eschew BMW drivers...

I would like my current 1973 Z project car ( under construction ) to hit those speeds, but I don't think the old Z's are up for it.

-Les