HybridZ

What is your Top Speed. On or Off Track.

Welp went to york to look at the 200sx ragtop.

Didn't see top speed on the Z but hit 120 a couple times on 222.

The interesting thing is now, that the tuning is closer, I now REALLY have to upgrade the brakes.

Talk about scary man, the brakes are no longer strong enough to hold the car in first (and possibly second) gear.

I was leaning the VE out little by little, then pulled out in first on a little 2-lane road. I hit the brake and floored it, which was fine,

then the boost hit.

I'm only running 9psi (it won't go more than 10 with the DSM BOV..it leaks)

and suddenly I'm wondering if those old consumer reports on the Audi 5000's were true, because, suddenly I'm accelerating, (rather quickly i might add)front wheels locked, my left foot stomping the brake pedal, and the car just DOES NOT CARE....it's accelerating. The only other car I've ever owned that could do that was my '69 buick sportwagon with a 430 big buick in it. The car is literally incapable of a line-lock (the tires for some reason GRIP really well!) The transmission is complaining more every day, I must be making some serious torque.

Needless to say I won't be doing any speed runs till I upgrade those brakes.

I'll post a vid on it tomorrow when I install my 72 wooden wheel. (The 200sx was a godsend, if it wasn't for me checking it out I would have never found a datsun junkyard!!!)

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

in 1990 i had a miata that i did 135 on the open road with the headlights down. with the headlight ups could only achieve 128!!!!!:D

did 127 in the Z in the 1/4 that was in the top end of third. i did take it all the way out to readline ONCE in 5th. which according to tranny calulators ( no speedo installed) was in excess of 150mph. That was hairy. I actually lost a front turn signal on that run. came flying out of the FRP air dam and exploded :>

Guest Luigi

Got back from Maxton monster mile. Offical time slip 144.22 car OK at that speed needs new (nonroad race alignment). Also needs results from wind tunnel.

luigi

Also needs results from wind tunnel.

Stay tuned, folks. It's getting real close.

I can throw in a G2X datalogger 148mph on the VIR frontstretch. Car was still pulling strong, but turn one was approaching.......quickly.

Edit: I'm going to come down to Maxton one day and check you guys out. That interests me.

John

I would also mention that while my ZX 2+2 is fine on the straights and mild curves at 100+, cross winds seem to hit it really hard. That could just be kinda worn out/ancient suspension parts, but if I can see the trees on the side of the road blowing around hard, I keep my foot out of it.

My highway top speed well what i cruise at is 55-60 MPH i have hit 110 for a brief second though . As far as 1/4 mile goes " i roughly marked off a 1/4 mile on a back road one day " I hit around 100-105 MPH . My red line is 5,500 and i hit that very quickly 55 mph gets me at 3,700 rpm .

Im running a SBC 350 supercharged 7 lbs of boost 750 cfm demon blower carb with a 26 inch tall tire with 4.11 gears and a TH350 auto trans should have used a 700 r4 !!! The engine still wants to pull even though i run out of rpms ive hit 6 grand once and went oh crap i better let off .

This is with a stock setup except for the supercharger cam lift is .450 intake and .460 exhaust with a 114 lobe seperaition . Not sure of the duraition. Changing out the heads this weekend had some ported way crazy . 1.5 exh valve flows 230 cfm with a .490 lift intake flows 280 cfm with a 1.9 intake valve same lift should be fun .

Jason

JOe, THe Maxton Monstor Mile is run by the ECTA and is a standing mile timed event.

My top speeds in the other Zcar have been posted elsewhere, but I have stalker radar gun verified 168mph in one session. In the last Zcar I had, I could run at over 150 in 6th gear turning about 4000rpms and the 383stroker had plenty of umph left. Of course, the whaletail spoiler didn't like it, and the pressure on it caused the tail to crack at the mounting surface points on the rear hatch, but the car felt very stable.

The windtunnel testing is with two weeks gang! We'll have some very good data very soon!

Mike

My Z has seen maybe 50 mph on the way to the MVD to title it :lol:

Fastest Ive driven was my turbo G20 - about 140 mph (indicated) before I chickened out. At 300 whp she had much more room to go, but would have run out of gear by 160 Im sure.

I see a lot of stories kicking around about these speeds at night. Are you guys nuts? Not only are you going silly fast, but youve got crappy headlights and surely couldnt see a thing! When I start outrunning my headlights I get extremely nervous, and I was doing that at 45 mph in the Z with stock bulbs.

- Greg -

Guest CA-350Z

Hi first post great site. I’ve hit about 125 on the front strait Mazda Raceway (Laguna Seca) in CA. Was still pulling but turn 1 is a 180 hair pin. Z’s hit 145 on the dyno 6250 rpm 336 gears, 26 inch tires.

Seen 160 country road on my ZX12R top speed is 198.

Speed: 702 mph

Vehicle: Boeing 737-700

Engines: (2) CFM56-7B 24,000 pounds of thrust each

Tire Size: hmm....bout 4 feet tall?

Ratio: Still in 1st gear! :icon52:

Oh wait, he said "hybrid z's top speed" sorry. Well I got my bone stock 77 up to 60 then drove straight into the garage and pulled the engine and tranny. Still under construction.

• 10 months later...

My 73 hit 65 when I drove it home and parked and gutted it. I'll hopefully try that one again soon.

Maybe 100 in the 83.:D

The RB240sx easily hit 166 and still slowly pulled with about 1800rpm left in 5th. This was done several times and also confirmed with the calculator.

When I worked at the proving grounds High Speed Driving training started at 75 then 100 then 130+ around the oval. The instructor just watched how you reacted to different things. How calm you were, what you did if he moved or talked to you. This was is a caged G35 coupe also. Since I was on the night crew for a while and had my high speed license I had to inspect the high speed car every night before it was used. Obviously part of the inspection was to go stupid fast on the 5.7 mile oval at night. Needless to say that was the fastest ive ever driven. Even faster than my 06 R1.:-P