HybridZ

What is your Top Speed. On or Off Track.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Don't dis the 'blowing welds on the intake' guys, I'll state again this happened to the Zisizit Super-Z at Bonneville!!!

Their top speed was hapmered on the return run when the welds on teh manifold failed (blew) and the resultant splitting was bleeding off boost pressure...

Maybe someone in the script department at F-n-F actually follows Land Speed Racing. If it came from anywhere, it comes from there!

I have the worst of both worlds. I have a T56 with an electronic output going to a CableX converter box that drives my stock mechanical speedometer. Beat that one!!

All the problems I notice, however, are probably attributable to the mechanical side. Sometimes I'll be up to nearly 35 MPM before the Speedometer will register. Mostly, however, it starts off when I do. It also will randomly start to bounce - usually when I've been 'bounce' I mean between 25 and 150. I think that is probably due to insufficient lubrication in the drive cable and it having a bit too tight of a turn in it.

FWIW, though, when I made my runs at Texas Motorplex my speedometer was within 3 mph of the trap speed (110) when I crossed the line. That leads me to believe that It's pretty darn accurate. I also cross-reference it with my tachometer. I've run calculations on tire circumference and differential and transmission gearing so I can math RPM vs speed. Again - it works out very close and consistent.

Since I know 120 MPH is 6,000 in 4th gear and I've had to get into 5th a few times I know the old Z has hit into the 125-130 range.

I think stability is a function of a lot of things - some of it perception. An S30 Z does have a bit of a tendency to bump steer so road conditions can cause some 'diversions' that are blamed on aerodynamics. The suspension being old and tired can contribute to this as well as worn bushings in the steering. What I do know is that my S30 seemed light and a bit unstable when I exceeded 105 in it's stock form on a shot suspension and worn bushings. with an upgraded suspension, urethane bushings and a Motorsport Aero II ground effects package it has always felt solid - at least up to sustained speeds of 120 at Texas Motor Speedway. since many things had changed I can't attibute the stability to any one thing - just the combination.

I blamed the dog, thinking he had an accident... I even looked on my shoes to see if I'd stepped in something... Nope... Turns out it's in this thread... Smelling LOTs of BullShyte... JohnC. let's let him keep digging...:lmao:

Mike

sigh...I wanna see how fast my Z will go on the roads again, but that won't happen for a little while. Oh well, I'm still pleased that I got it up to 115 in 4th at around either 5000 or 5500 (I can't remember right now which it was but I'm sure it's just around 5.4-5.5k with the stock gearing and the tires I have)

but I'm with you on that mikelly lots of bs haha

Yeah....I think to run 180mph it takes what, 500-600+ hp in a stock bodied Z?

hmm...I remember a website there's a guy with the world land speed record on a 1500cc engine. it took over 600hp in a 1991 mr2 body, to go 205mph. considering how much more aerodynamic an mr2 is, I think it would take quite a bit more power to get a Z up to the same speed

http://www.bobnorwood.com/The%20Fastest%20Little%20Sports%20Car%20in%20Utah.htm

there it is. It's a really good read too.

LOL a stock bodied 240 or 260z with a SBC 350 that cranks out 375 to 400 hp with a 5 speed and a 336 gear should be able to hit the 180 mark given enough land, if i am wrong please explain

You're wrong.

Explanation:

Aerodynamic resistance.

Further explaination from one of the last members around here that should even be thinking about elaborating:

Top speed isn't about power to weight ratios like most other forms of racing. Aerodynamics play a huge role in the game of chasing top speeds. You can NEVER calculate the top speed of a car based upon it's power, weight, and even gearing.

The force taken to propell an object (ANY OBJECT!!!) through our atmosphere is not a liniar force. If a car can do 20mph with 1hp, giving it 100 hp doesn't mean it can now go 200mph. The force taken is curved in nature, and starts to make a very dramatic rise at around 50mph, and once you're up to about 100mph the force needed for ever extra 1mph is quite significant.

Sure, a stock Z *might* be able to go 200mph.... if it had about 10,000hp, not the 1,000 and under normally seen on these message boards. As people one here, like Tony D can testify to, you'd be amazed at how much power it takes to get a S30 above 150mph.

If you took a Z with a V8 that could reach an actual recorded 150mph, and put that V8 in something more aerodynamic I'm sure it could reach 165+ easily.

The Shelby Cobra was well known for feeling like it hit a brick wall past 140mph. It just doesn't matter how much HP you have on your side with the force of air increases so dramatically.

This thread reminds me of the tricks we used to pull on folks in the first digital speedo gauge Maxima's. Flip it to Km/h and watch folks eyes get big speeding off from a stop. As far as what I can remember on a stock 280z with the 5-speed top speed was around 122-124 MPH. 4 speed cars were around 117 mph. Been a long time since I have thought about it. I know when you get up to 130 MPH the 280z, 280zx rascals get very twitchy, and I agree with everyone else, not very aerodynamic.

By the way, I got some good deer stories, I killed a 20 point once. LOL!!!!

20 years ago my new wife and I went to Europe for our honeymoon. Her half brother worked for (still does) BMW in the R&D department developing engines..(he heads that office now!!!) We stayed in Munich for a week......during the Octoberfest.

Anyway....we took his "special" 3 series "werks" car onto the local autobans many times....once I had it up to 266kph....~160mph...the lanes seemed to get very narrow at that speed and I didnt dare go any faster...to be honest I was scared. There were 4 of us in the car and at one point I was passing one of those ugly duck Citroens that was probably going no faster than 90KPH while a bad ass Mercedes was flashing his headlights at me to move over.

The differences in speed between all the cars was huge and very inimidating. All in all it was quite an experience but I dont wish to do it again. Too much going on with too many types of cars and drivers. The French autoban seemed much safer as it was an expensive toll road with not as much traffic...if I recall correctly the lanes were VERY wide as well!. Id love to get my Z on it!

Fastest in my Z....~130mph on a long strech of the 401. the steering was getting real light so it was a quick peak speed, not sustained in any way. As many of you know.......the standard front end of a 240 doesnt offer much down force!! LOL

Further explaination from one of the last members around here that should even be thinking about elaborating:

Top speed isn't about power to weight ratios like most other forms of racing. Aerodynamics play a huge role in the game of chasing top speeds. You can NEVER calculate the top speed of a car based upon it's power, weight, and even gearing.

The force taken to propell an object (ANY OBJECT!!!) through our atmosphere is not a liniar force. If a car can do 20mph with 1hp, giving it 100 hp doesn't mean it can now go 200mph. The force taken is curved in nature, and starts to make a very dramatic rise at around 50mph, and once you're up to about 100mph the force needed for ever extra 1mph is quite significant.

Sure, a stock Z *might* be able to go 200mph.... if it had about 10,000hp, not the 1,000 and under normally seen on these message boards. As people one here, like Tony D can testify to, you'd be amazed at how much power it takes to get a S30 above 150mph.

If you took a Z with a V8 that could reach an actual recorded 150mph, and put that V8 in something more aerodynamic I'm sure it could reach 165+ easily.

The Shelby Cobra was well known for feeling like it hit a brick wall past 140mph. It just doesn't matter how much HP you have on your side with the force of air increases so dramatically.

I think your estimation of 10,000 HP is a tad high, I realize yu were probably purposefully exagerating, to make a point.

I pay attention to a racing organization called the OSCA (Ontario Street Car Association www.raceosca.com), where there are a couple classes that run in excess of 180 MPH, EZ Street and Super Street. EZ street is uaully around the 180 MPH mark, most of these cars are making around 1800 to 2000 HP. Some are more aredynamic than others, compare the car that I have been helping out with a 2004 Mustang true 10.5 car to a late '60s Camaro, and everything in between, all run in about the high 7s, class bump is usually around 8.0 to 8.10. These cars need to weigh a minimum of 3100 lbs, and go up from there, depending on type of power adder, type of transmission, etc.

Next look at Super Street, these cars are in the 6s, one in particular, Frank Pompilios' '67 Mustang, runs 6.70s in excess of 200 MPH on a regular basis, it has even ran a 230 MPH pass that pulled the front wheels at the finish line, though there has been some skeptisim about that, even though the video (on youtube) clearly shows the car tricycling all the way the down the track, and the car changes pitch just as it passes the camera, showing the front wheels coming off the ground. The car makes about 2500 HP. The car is stock bodied, except for the hood, and the wing. The stance has been changed, and would bet that the aerodynamics of that car are not much better than an S30, I do realize that the stance and hight change will help, and anyone wanting to go that fast in an S30 would be stupid to attempt it without making sme changes to the car itself to help get the car there.

I'm only posting this to show that it does take a lot of power, but maybe not quite as much as some people might believe. I understand the poetic part to saying it takes a billion HP to do something and then someone does it, with less than that gizzilion HP, but lets be real here.

BTW:

Fastest in my Z I think has been about 90 MPH, maybe 95, I think that would have been when I was following JerryB back from Milton and the OZC joint meeting. :D

Yes, I was obviously exagerating to make a point.

Though search for an old thread about a guy wanting to ho 240MPH in a 240Z, that's some great entertainment right there.

That guy might acutally need 10,000hp if he wanted to leave the body stock...

Yes, I was obviously exagerating to make a point.

Though search for an old thread about a guy wanting to ho 240MPH in a 240Z, that's some great entertainment right there.

That guy might acutally need 10,000hp if he wanted to leave the body stock...

haha I came across that one to. Didn't it say it would be done in 5 years? I think that threads almost that old now lol

to stay on topic, Iv had my speedo bouncing between 125 and 130 on my 240z