HybridZ

Recommendations for rear suspension ( sick of the slop)

I just realized why I don't enjoy driving the Z as much as I used to. It's because of the rear suspenson slop/clunking/noise that I get whenever going over the smallest of road imperfections. Yes, it's my fault for neglecting things back there. I don't even know what springs are in the car as they were in there when I got it 6 years ago. What I am looking for is a solid (figuratively) rear suspension that will work well on the street and road course. A stiff street car is fine as long as it doesn't rattle! I'll be using Azinas on the track as well as the street. The car already has the driveline taken care of so that is not an issue. Also, I'd like to stay away from coilovers if possible mainly because of cost and not knowing what the h&ll I'm doing when setting them up (already going through that on the 260). Sectioned struts are an option if someone has a recommendation for who can do it for me. I'm open to anything else. Oh yeah, I'll be doing the front also but the rear is the priority. Sorry for the babble but I had the car out this morning and I find myself doing more listening for potential problems than enjoying the car.

One unrelated question. When on the track, I can heat up the LSD so much that it will chatter like crazy when going around turns. It will do this until I let it sit in the pits for 15 or so minutes. Has anyone else experienced this? And yes, I have changed the gear oil and used GM additive. Thanks everyone!

Joe

I guess I should clarify on the coilovers. I didn't mean they were difficult to iinstall. I meant to say I don't know how to set up the car to get the most out of them. It could be because of the time involved to set them up or that I'm just too lazy :)

Joe

Where's the love? I have searched and read all the previous posts about this and see that it has been discussed to the hilt. Everyone seems to hit on how to go about choosing a spring rate and theory behind how a properly set up suspension should work. All I want to do is have some fun on the 4-5 track days a year with a setup that doesn't sound like the back of the car is falling off. So from what I have read so far I am looking at sectioning the rear tubes by 2 inches and using a 10 inch 225# coilover with a 240Z front insert. Sound about right?

If you don't like noise keep the stock insulators and on the bushings go rubber, maybe poly, not G machine.

That's the first time I've heard of the LSD chattering when it gets hot. Add more additive until it goes away or switch oils. I use SWEPCO 201 with no additive and when it starts to make noise I change the oil, which is usually ~10K. Now that I've shimmed the crap out of it I'll probably need additive also.