HybridZ

stuck on what to do....

Silent

as it sits now, i have a 3.1 liter in my 76 280z.

su's blah blah

put down 192 rwhp

now. good motor and all, strong, all i have left is head work and such.

but my demila is this

i was offered a rb26dett.

for free.

with turbo's, everything, minus harness.

my thoughts,

sell 3.1 and 5 spd

do rb swap with 350 trans and some other goodies here and there.

power fc system with the maps i need fo the turbo set up.

i love my 3.1 motor, but the silly hp is starting to bit me again. and there isn;t much left i can do to the 3.1 to get where i want to be.

whats the suggestions from the resident crew of hybrid nuts?!?!

You'd get a huge bump from some 44 or 45 triples in all likelihood. I know I did, and I know Dan Baldwin did. He's putting down 255 whp in his 3.1, and I'm putting down ~240 from my 2.8. You'd be looking at $1500 probably in carbs, jets, and tuning time. I swear my 44 Mikunis were worth a good 40 hp over my previous setup with headwork, cam, port matched manifold and rebuilt SU's with K&Ns and the stock airhorns inside the K&N's. 40 hp makes a big difference.

RB can easily make 2 times the power of your stroker with triples, but it's going to require some pretty hefty fabrication, and last time I checked people were saying budget $10K for the swap. I never looked into it that closely so I don't know how much of that is the cost of the motor itself.

see, the thing being, i can get the parts for next to nothing

the motor im getting is free, doing a fresh rebuild on it.

motor mounts are free

oil pan is being custom made, for the cost of the supplies.

cv axle swap in the rear is damn near free.

the only thing i can forsee costing me any money is the hks turbo's injectors, and some other piddly things here and there.

this is why im stuck on what to do. i love the 3.1, but my lust for 600 rwhp and silly 1/4 mile times still lingers.

now you see the delima

But. . . but. . . why would you go from a 3.1 to a 2.6!? Have you gone absolutely mad!? How are you going to make up for the lost .5L of displacement? :D (hope you're sensing the sarcasm. . . I've noticed ppl freaking out about losing .4L of displacement by going 4 cylinder, so I figured loosing .5 would be an even bigger of a deal for some.)

Congratulations. :) Seems like you got a pretty good deal on your motor.

I noticed you mentioning that you were thinking about using a 350 tranny. . . by this, I'm assuming a chevy 5sp? Tell me you're not serious . . .

A US tranny will require a custom bell housing for it to fit on the 26. Why not just get a 25 tranny? The RB25 tranny bolts up to this motor and is RWD. The internals (synchros & such) are the same as the Z32, and is fairly beefy. A major advantage of this tranny is the shift feel. I've driven many cars, and I have not found one US tranny that was a smooth as sportier Japansese models'. You can actually pick a RB25 tranny (RWD) for that motor for less than 1k.

If you were talking about AT, then I'm sorry, I jumped the gun. I just realized the possibility while I was typing the last paragraph :oops: If the AT is what you're going for, then give the guys @ Mckinney Motorsports a call. They specialize in the 240SX, but their main thing is sticking RBs into 240SXs. Last time I talked to them, they were talking about making a powerglide bolt-on kit for the RB. . . If drag racing is your main goal, I'd say go for it.

As for your wiring, if I were you, I'd just go w/ electromotive or if you've got the $$$, motec. Once you factor in buying the wiring harness, sensors that are broken, and misc parts, why stick w/ JDM EMSs? Initial investment is higher w/ these EMSs, but after a couple of sensors go bad, you'll see why you mad the right decision. (GM parts seem to be cheaper than JDM parts. . . quicker delivery, too).

The choice is up to you, but the RB26 is a great motor that usually shuts up a lot of the displacement whores. :wink:

Kenny

http://www.rbmotoring.com

Guest bastaad525
Hmm... should I move into the mansion that's paid for, or should I stick it out in the duplex. :roll:

ROFL... for real... this dilemma isn't really a dilemma at all... come on dude it sounds to us like you already answered your own question.

Ahem.. if you're gona sell the 3.1 setup.. what kind of $$$ are you loking for? Hmm.. better question, where are you? No point asking how much if I couldn't afford shipping! :lol: Im kind of in the same dilema as you right now.. I could get a *cough* 4 cyl turbo motor with 5 speed (complete car actually..) for half what it will cost to rebuild my 2.8 motor alone.. but I like the sound of the L6.. and it's already in there (runs ok, just blowing smoke and down on power.. :oops: I drive it like I stole it..) Let me know what's up.. and good luck on the swap if you do the RB26, sounds like fun!

the chevy tranny is a 3 spd auto

th350

th400

im going to do the 400 and seveely build it.

there is a few things i didn't list on the motor side that goes with it

EVERYTHING needed to drop it in, turn key and go spank some people.

im in kansas city missouri. so yep, shipping is gonna cost ya.

im not fully set on price yet. i have over 3500 in everything i have done to it.

as the more i dig into the rb swap the more i want to do it. and it seems people make it out harder then it actually is.

the motor was pulled from a friend of mines r33 gtr, sat for a few months, now has a ful tilt jun motor in it.

im not worried about sensors, or misc parts. i have connections in cali for those parts.

just need to get the motor from cali to hear so i can start on it!