HybridZ

engine swap

Guest sleepin99

Guest sleepin99

ok i have a fully built vq30 motor stroked to a 3.4L that is sitting in my garage. my problem is the following. i was going to put it into a 240sx with a different transmission that can hand 600 to 700 hp to the wheels with twin turbos. i am now rethinking this and may put this engine into a 240z.

so i need good and helpful info on what i would need to do to make this happen. what trans, rear end and axles i would need. body reinforcements and so on.

i will be using the car for shows and racing. the last i i built was a maxima the could run mid 12s and go 200 mph, i only had it up to 180 mph on the highway.

so i need a car that will run 11s or maybe 10s that i can drive whenever i want on the streets. i like to drive at high speeds so it need to be able to run to 200 mph.

i know that many people are running v8 so the engine fitting is not an issue. i will also be running a stand alone for the car so not really concerned about the wiring of thing to make it work. well thanks in advance. any help would be great. later.

Guest bastaad525

The 300ZX twin turbo motor is a bit more of a tight fit than a Chevy 350, I think :wink: It's not the motor... it's all the stuff ON the motor that makes the V6 TT's so big......

But yeah, there is at least one guy on the boards here somewhere who's done the vg30dett into a 240z. Hell there's a guy in japan running a twin turbocharged, dual intercooler infiniti V8 beast in a 240z....

I have a friend who has a couple of VQ six speeds in His shop. You can email Him at ravermotorsports@earthlink.net ask for Vern.I am not sure how much HP these trannies can take.With 650-700 hp I would look at running at least a 6 point cage in the car and strut bars front and rear.A R230 conversion should be able to handle those power levels quite well.

Where in chicago are you from? I'm from one of the northern 'burbs and would be very interested in seeing this when you get started on it. Let me know.

Greg '77 280Z

Guest sleepin99

the maxima has a built trans and its geared to run just above 200 mph.

will the 240z body be able to take this kind of power? what needs to be done to it take the additional wieght?

so should i buy a z32 or z33 trans to fit with a r200 or r230 diff? also is the nismo diff or kaaz diff better? i am also going to need a custom driveshaft built.

thanks for the info so far and keep it coming.

i am in the north burbs to. vernon hills.

the maxima has a built trans and its geared to run just above 200 mph.

will the 240z body be able to take this kind of power? what needs to be done to it take the additional wieght?

so should i buy a z32 or z33 trans to fit with a r200 or r230 diff? also is the nismo diff or kaaz diff better? i am also going to need a custom driveshaft built.

thanks for the info so far and keep it coming.

i am in the north burbs to. vernon hills.

the bad thing is., i have been around the maxima world for about 10 years now.

i had a 92 se. "mildly" modded {ok that was sarcasim}

what was done to the tranny.

if you're willing to give away that info you can be of GREAT help to maxima.org

id do the z32 5spd. with a nismo lsd.

you'd have to do all sorts of things just shy of a tube framed car. cage, subframes, front rail stiffening. so on and so forth. id imagine you have about 5-8k in just chassis work alone

Yeah, I'm from Libertyville. That's real close, haha. I've got a '77 280Z than is in the process of getting turbocharged, intercooled, and megasquirted. Let me know when you get started on that.

Greg '77 280Z

Guest sleepin99

ok i got my hands in a z32 turbo 5 spd.

i was also thinking of doing the c4 irs. any suggestions on this upgrade. not many have done this.

if i go with these two items, would i need a custom driveshaft and where can i get one made.

also, which rearend would be best for puting down 600 + hp to the wheels.

thanks for the help so far.