HybridZ

1978 280Z wiring schematic

Guest nwzeeman

Guest nwzeeman

My Haynes manual has such small, unreadable, faded printing on the wiring schematic that I can not trace the wires.

Does anyone have a jpeg or .pdf file of the 1978 wiring schematic? I don't want to spend $70 on a nissan factory manual for just the wiring diagram. Thanks. -Rod

Guest adroitcaptor

There is a REALLY good diagram for a 77 Z here... http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/wiringdiagrams/F77ZCAR-WIRING1.pdf This is a slightly large PDF image. I just loaded it into Photoshop and Printed it using the "selector tool" (the box one) and then clicking print and "selection" to print what was on the page. I printed 3 more pages using the same size box just moving to the right. Then just I simply taped the 4 pages together. I have yet to find a difference between it and my 78. I am going to print another copy and would use larger than 8.5X11 paper.

anyway good schematic but hard to see unless unless you do photo quality. It is hard to see the different wire colors/ strip colors on lower resolution prints. (Having the vertical of the document fit on 1 page 336DPI is the minimum I would go) Anyway, just make sure you keep it in it's native resolution or you will not be able to see much.

Hope this helps and is what you were looking for.

Guest nwzeeman

WOW! :D That wiring diagram at the atlanticz website is great! It is even in color. I've got a large roll plotter that I can print this thing out on.

I just checked out the autozone website, and it has printable diagrams as well....

Thanks for the quick responses...I love this forum!

-Rod

'78Z Velo Rossa project currently on blocks, still looking for a V8.

Hey Guys,

You should be aware that the 1978 Z wiring is substantially different from the 1975 -77 280Z. In practical effect, Datsun started making relay and wiring changes in 1978 that are closer to a 1979 ZX than a 77 280.

Mitchell has a very good schematic for the '78. I was given a xerox copy by a local shop, when I couldn't find the fuel injection relay on my 5/78 280Z. Just as an example, it is under the black bracket in front of the battery and there is now an ignition relay and two (2) fuel injection relays. The 75 - 77 280s all had it (1 relay) located on the drivers side kick panel under the dash.

Many other changes exist. I was told and have not had it proven, but early 1978 Zs were supposed to be like the 1977 and earlier cars. I was told the break point was April or May build dates, but like I said, I have no first hand evidence of this.

Check your 78 and see where the FI Relay/relays are and that would be a good key.

Hope this helps.

ecp48

Hey Guys' date='

You should be aware that the 1978 Z wiring is substantially different from the 1975 -77 280Z.

Many other changes exist. I was told and have not had it proven, but early 1978 Zs were supposed to be like the 1977 and earlier cars. I was told the break point was April or May build dates, but like I said, I have no first hand evidence of this.

Check your 78 and see where the FI Relay/relays are and that would be a good key.

Hope this helps.

ecp48[/quote']

Exactly. If you refer back to my original post (takes two clicks to get there) http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=94338, the differences (vauge knowledge of) was stated in the other forum. Also, printing options are explained. Not sure how it compares with the '76, but the connector differences between the '75 and '77 are very evident.

FWIW, I believe there was the Mitchell's digram posted here on the download section prior to the upgrade, but it's gone now.

Wayne

I have one on my website that I've been using. It's been totally accurate on everything. You also get other electrical & misc. stuff. Use the Windows Imaging program to view & print, one image per page, then tape it together. I blew up each page to 11 x 17 for better viewing.

http://www.angelfire.com/pe2/modeltom/ferrari.html

(link is under the photo of the GTO)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...