HybridZ

Group Buy on Fuel Cells?

clarkspeed

I've negotiated some decent pricing from a local circle track supplier on fuel cells. Both ATL Sport Cell and Fuel Safe Enduro Cells are available. Both of these cells are FIA FT-3 approved, designed to withstand impact, steel container, foam filled, and legal for most forms of road racing. Check your rulebook for legality. These are NOT the cheap rubber or plastic cells many of the drag racers use. Check out:

http://www.atlfuelcells.com/

http://www.fuelsafe.com/

I can get the Fuel Safe Enduro, ED115, 15 gal for $450

ATL Sport Cell, SP115, 15 gal for $430

I willing to pass along my savings if anyone is inerested. Price does not include any shipping charges or tax if you live in FL. Other sizes are available. Some sizes they keep in stock and others would need to be ordered from the factory. Any interest?

Clark

YOu know, I may be interested in this... I'll check dimensions and get back to you. I've got a cell in my car now, but it isn't certified for open road racing. Even with an outter shell, an inner pladder, foam, and a roll over valve... :roll:

Mike

I've been looking into both as options. Firesafe also make an 18g that is 34x20 1/2x6. I haven't measured yet but if it can be made to fit. You could use the floor pan (after spare well cut out) as balk head. SCCA requires a balk head between driver and fuel. Cell would not hang under the stock rear valance. That is at lease what I've been looking at. If we could get a bulk purchase they might be willing to make a exact size fit.

The last one I installed by cutting out the tire well and welding in a plate to fill. I then cut out a square hole to fit the cell into. To meet SCCA requirements, I built a sheet metal cover over the rear section with a hinged door for access. I copied the idea from a fellow Z racer.

The one I am installing now will be supported underneath the rear deck with the filler also below the deck and a small trap door for access. Rear deck will be the bulkhead between cell and driver. Copied again from another racer.

100704%20005.jpg

100704%20006.jpg

I don't think I can get my discount on custom cells.

Was it necessary to block off the entire hatch area?

I would have thought removing the spare tire carrier, 'squaring' the hole and recessing the cell 'mostly' below the hatch floor occupying a large part of the old factory fuel tank space would make for a cleaner install and keep the center of gravity created by the cell lower would be an advantage.

Just throwing out some thoughts. Any comments are appreciated.

I'm interested in a fuel cell installation as well, but still want use of at least some of the hatch area when it's done.

Cheers,

WW