HybridZ

Renesis Engine

Guest Z2nr

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4.9l is reserved for the I6 300cid 4.9l ford.

I get the whole renesis now, so they got more power by having the exhaust port earlier in the cycle and adding a dwell space between exhaust and intake which would allow them to tune without the handicap of the enhaust charge entering the intake chamber... however they are exahusting slightly sooner which you would think would take the last little push from the expanded gas out of the power, except the old overlapping handicap held them back further than this new "developement" because they had to tune to compesate for this exhaust mix to prevent overpressure of the exhaust into the intake which diluted the intake (less power) or over pressure of the intake (when using a supercharger or turbo) which dumped some fuel into the exhaust (higher emmissions)

Sounds like a winner.

Guest tejas74260

AUX,

i think i remember you saying you weighed the engine/trans....do you have a guesstimate on the weight advantage of your 13B engine and tranny over your stock L24 engine/trans?

i'm kinda interested in doing this swap. i like the whole different thing goin on (hell if 510's can do it, we can to!!) and i really wanna consider what can be done with this swap. i'll email you soon to try to get the "dirty details" thanks man

Mark

uhm.. without the turbos, just the bare block with intake manifolds and transmission... not too heavy - my friend and I can pick it up and move it around by hand. I'd say 160-180lbs for the motor, about 100 lbs for transmission. My turbo weighs about 18 lbs, header (304 stainless) weighs about.... 7. engine mount I made is about 3-4 lbs, and will be about 5-6 when finished.

to the front, add intercooler, radiator, battery (I'm going to try to retain battery in the front to leave more weight over the front wheels), oil cooler + oil.

Stock L24 was what... 450-500lbs with transmission? I'd say there's at least a 200lb weight advantage and the engine sits WAY back there. My concern now is not lifting the front end at high speeds.

Yes this is true a lot of the things that I mentioned are geared toward the 13b-rew, but a lot of the things I said apply to all rotaries.

I know the U.S. Emissions were detrimental to the unreliability of the 3rd gen due to heat back log of the catalytic converter.

Like I said the Rotary engine has an inherant flaw, the inability to properly cool it self with oil the way a piston engine does, and the fact that rotors see combustion on all 3 sides as opposed to a piston engine which combustion only occurs on the dome.

There are really no bullet proof stock rotary engines unlike pistons that have the Sr20, 2jz, rb26, rb25 etc... Those engines are known for their reliabilty are there any turbo rotaries that have been coined bulletproof, ask yourself that question.

In my opinion any company (Mazda) that were to come out with an inferior product with so many oem problems is just beyond me. Why do you think the rx-7 was discontinued for such a long time in the u.s. inferior production and build quality to handle the u.s. emissions.

I am not willing to argue with anyone whether the rotary engine is a good engine or not, I have done my research and my beliefs are mine, you can put a rotary in your car, I'll go with a piston engine.

When you are on your second or third engine rebuild I'll have my Stock Sr pushing 350whp without breaking a sweat.

no one's arguing about reliability of an sr20det. however, when I open my hood, I'll get more "WTF!?" looks than you :) Aren't you the one who started this thread asking about a renesis rotary swap?

I'll just tow my car to events in between rebuilds

Oh yeah, don't forget - I don't have an REW. Nor smog crap to worry about.

Guest tejas74260

aux,

i never seemed to get the word, but what's the turbo you have your engine now? seeing that the stock twin turbo wont fit, i wanna look for something thats a single, but im not looking for the huge power (i dont need it in a Z) i've looked in a lot of rx-7 forums, and everyone there is just MORE POWER!! and im looking to find something around 300 or less. i'll email you to get the specs on everything else, i guess just answer the turbo question. thanks

Mark

I got my t04s from James Thagard (240Zturbo), it's garrett unit.84 exhaust a/r, p trim, .7 cold side, 60-1 trim wheel, oil cooled. I chose .84 because it'll be quicker spool up since I have restrictive exhaust ports in the RE motor.

Depending on what motor you get and if you're planning to build it up (ie. street port, remove restrictive exhaust sleeves), I'd recommend .96 a/r. PM me if you need more info

with mounts redesigned, I think stock twin MAY clear the frame rails. I haven't tried it to see if it works just yet.

Guest tejas74260

aux,

my PM doesnt seem to be working, so maybe you can just answer this easily, what manifold are you using with your turbo? i was looking at other manifolds and they didnt look like they would fit. anyway i'd appreciate that info. thanks

Mark

• 2 months later...
Guest rx8pilot
At this point in time with Rotaries, an 13b or 20b whould be your best bet, REN. motor is waaaay to new for any one to make power out of it yet. Acosta racing has TK for the RX-8, but it cost $40,000, ( yes $40.000) cause they put a 20b in there instead. Greddy has a kit for it too but who'd want to pay $5,000 for 20hp???? $400+ will get 150+ for some NOS.

there are more and more turbos and superchargers coming out for the 8.. sfr/greddy/hks/etc. there will be alot more squeezed out of it..and reliably. there's always a learning period for engines..and this one has shown to be rediculously high tech. Mazda actually did a good job tuning the stock engine..and even taking the exhaust system completely off makes only a gain of around 12 hp.

just felt the need to let you know you don't get 20hp with the greddy..it's been reliably getting at LEAST 60+whp for all of our 8 members who've installed it. and it can be had for the low price of $2900... sfr is claiming an increase from their turbo of 112whp+ with the peices to go higher for those so inclined. i have an 8 as you might have guessed. my dad has 240's so sometimes i tool around in these sites lookin for ideas for him.. to get him goin. if you have any other questions about the 8..just ask.

I read in a local paper the other day that Mazda will be looking into electrically controlled/powered turbo or supercharging on the new RX7 and that the gentlemans agreement between Japanese Car Manufactures to limit power out put to 206kw has been lifted. So expect some very high powered cars to come out of Japan soon :) (but I don't think for too long before another gentlemans agreement is drawn up)

Guest SigSauerElite

Some people may call me a retard or such for asking this but how do the Rotary motor actually make their power, and where does combustion happen in a Rotary motor. Thanks in advance.

Guest Turbo_20B_Luv

Auxilary is doing it right. He chose the BEST of the 2 rotor engines. Biggest ports and biggest intake runners. The only "better" motor would be a 20B which is alot more expensive. With a T04S at 15psi of boost on 91-93 pump gas, you have the potential of getting up to 425hp....AT THE WHEELS (based on dynos from rx7s with the same motor).

Renesis is a great motor for N/A, but its not (as of yet) proven to be a good boosted motor. Yes i know people are turboing the motors and there are kits availiable, but in reality this is only good for Rx8's that dont have the CHOICE of rotary engines that you might.....

Auxilary is doing it right. He chose the BEST of the 2 rotor engines. Biggest ports and biggest intake runners. The only "better" motor would be a 20B which is alot more expensive. With a T04S at 15psi of boost on 91-93 pump gas' date=' you have the potential of getting up to 425hp....AT THE WHEELS (based on dynos from rx7s with the same motor).

Renesis is a great motor for N/A, but its not (as of yet) proven to be a good boosted motor. Yes i know people are turboing the motors and there are kits availiable, but in reality this is only good for Rx8's that dont have the CHOICE of rotary engines that you might.....[/quote']

From what I understand, the exhaust port on the Rensis was moved not only earlier in the cycle, but from the casing to the side port or vice versa (I can't remember my rotary terminology). This should, in theory, carry far less exhaust gas into the intake portion of the motor keeping intake temps down and polluted air out, making it far more boost friendly. They're also using a new style Apex seal too, if I remember right.

Basically, what I'm trying to say, is that, in theory, the new Renesis motor should be far more stout than the older RE motors.

My 0.02