HybridZ

N/A L24 Modifications

Guest Z2nr

I will be purchasing my Z around December/Janruary I want to know what mods can I do to the stock l24 to break 13"s.

I would like to be able to run mid 13's if possible. I want to have some fun with the stock motor first before I do a swap.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

Get a direct port nitrous oxide kit and install it. Then save your money to build up your V8. When you get tired of the L24 (or blow it up on a huge shot of spray) you can install the nitrous kit on your V8 with only a $35 "plate" to adapt it to your new engine.

This method is a lot cheaper than fooling with carbs, cams, header, and other BS on the L24, and when you're done with it you'll still have the nitrous kit, awhereas there's very little resale market for used L24 parts.

That is very cost effective indeed and sounds like fun, but this car will be my daily while I save up money for my swap I don't want to run nitrous as the risk of pre mature engine failure, which will set me back money wise from my swap.

I know the money I put into the l24 will be watsted but I want something for now.

I also had a question about the l24, it makes about 150hp and 146 tq how come the car is so slow? My b16 99 civic Si made 160 w/111 ft/lb and it ran low 15's and it was a 2600 lb car. The 240z seems slower with only 10 less hp but it's about 2-300lbs lighter, also what it lacks for the 10hp it makes up with the extra 33lbs of torque. Is the gearing in the tranny that bad?

Thanx.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

Claimed HP and actual HP are very loosely related.

My '72 240Z with a ported head, richened carbs, no air cleaner, no muffler, advanced ignition timing, and retarded cam timing ran 14.7 @ 93mph... then it fell apart from rust, lol.

You CAN make a L24 fast for cheap, but you have to be a good mechanic and be knowledgeable. It would be better to just go ahead and do the V8 swap, because any money you spend on the L24 is money wasted.

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

I used to run an L24 with stock bore SU's and a .070" shaved N42 head with 10.6:1 CR with a 272/282 .460" Crane Cam. Best time with the street tires spinning in 1st 2nd and 3rd was a 13.6 @ 99 mph.

You can do it but you really have to beat the crap out of it!

I saw Bob Maggio run a 13 flat in 100 degree weather back in 1993 at the St. Louis convention with his fully race prepped 240Z. I know he had a 2.4L motor but it may have been bored .040"

Later,Norm

That is very cost effective indeed and sounds like fun, but this car will be my daily while I save up money for my swap I don't want to run nitrous as the risk of pre mature engine failure, which will set me back money wise from my swap.

Use as much NOS-hp as you would have gain on a conventional tuning and use it only on higher revs, than you wouldn't have any greater risk of engine failure...

But higher comp, better cam, header and exhaust and some porting and tuning etc would be more fun on a daily basis, (imho) but will cost you 3-4 times as much.

']

I saw Bob Maggio run a 13 flat in 100 degree weather back in 1993 at the St. Louis convention with his fully race prepped 240Z. I know he had a 2.4L motor but it may have been bored .040"

You should have stayed for Bob's last run that day. He turned a 10.84 ET at 128.62mph! He smoked all the V8 zcars even that one with a supercharger whose best time was in the low 11's.

Amazing for a NA L6. It was a GTU prepared engine with triple Mikuni's and open exhaust. I asked him what cam and compression he was running and he just grinned and avoided answering.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest norm[T12SDSUD]
You should have stayed for Bob's last run that day. He turned a 10.84 ET at 128.62mph! He smoked all the V8 zcars even that one with a supercharger whose best time was in the low 11's.

Amazing for a NA L6. It was a GTU prepared engine with triple Mikuni's and open exhaust. I asked him what cam and compression he was running and he just grinned and avoided answering.

Hey Steve, are you sure he went that fast in 1993?

I thought his first run was around 110 mph. A naturally aspirated I6 going 128 mph just doesn't add up !!

BTW, did you already install the mirror you bought from me?

Later,Norm

']Hey Steve' date=' are you sure he went that fast in 1993?

I thought his first run was around 110 mph. A naturally aspirated I6 going 128 mph just doesn't add up !!

BTW, did you already install the mirror you bought from me?

[/quote']

If I hadn’t seen it in person I probably wouldn’t have believed it either. I took a photo of the lane clock after Bob’s run:

http://home.comcast.net/~zcarfan/BobMaggioET.jpg

Oh yeah that mirror...do you want to buy it back? :)

I was going to use it in my Datsun 810, but I did not notice in the Ebay pic that the mirror did not have the “day/night” selector lever. Oh well, I might be able to use the mirror glass someday if I can figure out how to remove it from the plastic frame without breaking it.

Do you have any idea what his car weighed? I've heard claims of 350 hp out of the old school GTU 2.4 engines, if you figure a car weight of 2000 lbs, then that means he's getting about 330 hp to the wheels. Of course he still had to shift... and maybe the car was lighter too.

The whole thing is not unbelievable, but it would help to have seen it in person...

Hey guys... I bought a '78 280Z and am planning on doing a ZXT motor swap (after experiencing Wiggin' Out S30's setup first-hand), but I'm not sure... I can't seem to find any motors, online or locally at junkyards. I was originally going to just throw some go-fast parts at it from MSA, but I wanted to dip at least into the 13's and wasn't sure if all the parts I got from MSA would really get me there(besides stroking the motor, wich I don't have the $$$). Well, what I'm really asking is, what should I do? I'm 19, work at a pet shop, and am on a serious budget... should I just go the MSA way, or save for the turbo swap?.........so CONFUSED!!!...

• 16 years later...

Just saw this after 27 years?! I ran a 13.04 @ 107 mph on a .8 light, I'm NOT a drag racer. I only made two runs, 13.07/13.04. The car weighed 2000 (+/-)lbs, the engine was a 280 bored .040 over (legal SCCA) with a E-31 240 head. Compression was 12.8/1, race gas only. I built it but never dynoed it . Should have made around 280 hp

LOL. Thanks for posting Bob. That one pops into my head every now and again: "WTF cam did that guy have in that thing anyway?!!?" Apparently it wasn't magic. ;) We have had some people get their 240s down to 1800ish pounds, and engine builders in Australia are pushing 400hp NA, but haven't seen anyone put the two together yet. 

37 minutes ago, JMortensen said:

LOL. Thanks for posting Bob. That one pops into my head every now and again: "WTF cam did that guy have in that thing anyway?!!?" Apparently it wasn't magic. ;) We have had some people get their 240s down to 1800ish pounds, and engine builders in Australia are pushing 400hp NA, but haven't seen anyone put the two together yet. 

gosh that just boggles the mind! I’m struggling on how an L24 can get much past 250hp NA, and without an oxidizer. I mean, the volumetric efficiency just doesn’t add up. Coupled with the poor flow characteristics of the L-series heads, being a non cross-flow and only 12 valves...

are we talking high octane gasoline only, or nitromethane? Methanol? 

I don’t mean to dispute the claim. I don’t have concrete evidence to say it’s not possible. I would just really like to understand how, since I have never seen a dyno sheet get anywhere close. 

NA stroker. I can't give any specifics, but Mark Belrose sold his race car with 3.1 stroker to a guy in Oz. Rebello motor with 50mm Mikunis, I think it was making 370 bhp or 390, can't remember. Anyway the new owner wanted more and built it again and was saying 400+ but wasn't an L24.

Here's a vid of the car blowing a halfshaft at Bathurst: 

Edited by JMortensen

8 minutes ago, JMortensen said:

NA stroker. I can't give any specifics, but Mark Belrose sold his race car with 3.1 stroker to a guy in Oz. Rebello motor with 50mm Mikunis, I think it was making 370 bhp or 390, can't remember. Anyway the new owner wanted more and built it again and was saying 400+ but wasn't an L24.

Here's a vid of the car blowing a halfshaft at Bathurst: 

pretty cool!! 

I kinda want to be wrong on this 😂. I mean how cool would it be if we could get F20C flow efficiency out of an L24! 

I don’t even want to ask how much it would cost! 😂😂😂 very impressive though!

I will be happy to get a piddly 160 crank HP out of my 10:1CR, .500 lift, 320 duration L24! I will know in a few months :) 

still looking for a tuning guru once she is running. So many of the people/shops I knew as a kid are gone...