HybridZ

alsil's mounts with a 351w?

sulla

We talked a little bit the other day via AIM, so you probably already know my answer, but I'll post it here for the record. I've got alsil's motor mount on my Z with the 351W(not running yet). It is not a direct bolt-in fit. The front sump of the oil-pan will hit the Z's crossmember. Either the oil pan or the crossmember needs to be modified. I've modified my motor mount to lower the engine 1", which allowed me to slide the engine a little further back, and looks like it will allow the front sump to just clear.

Gene

351 = big engine should run like a rocket.

Can you tell me if the front of your oil pan is above or behind the steering rack and pinion. The front of my oil pan sits just over the steering rack and pinion which I dont like. I am curious is other hybridz's set engine far enough back to clear the rack.

Ferd

Gene' date='

When you say you modified alsil's mount a little..what do you mean? I have one of his mounts and have heard that the manifold sits quite high.

Matt[/quote']

I cut the end-plates off of the mount, lowered the entire crossmember by one inch, and welded it all back together. I had to extend the end-plates (angle-iron) down an inch so that it would still be strong. Ideally, I would have bought new angle-iron and welded those on.

Lowering the engine allowed me to slide it on back a little more since the upper part of the transmission bellhousing was hitting the tunnel. Lowering it also got me a little closer to being able to fit my intake under the hood. I'm still lacking 3/4", though. I've been considering fabbing my own intake manifold to see if I can get it a little bit lower, but no definite decisions there, yet. Currently, I've got a GT-40 lower intake and explorer upper. Maybe there's another manifold that's a little lower, but I don't know of any, at least not from the factory. It's hard to find a low-profile EFI intake for a 351W!

Gene

351 = big engine should run like a rocket.

Can you tell me if the front of your oil pan is above or behind the steering rack and pinion. The front of my oil pan sits just over the steering rack and pinion which I dont like. I am curious is other hybridz's set engine far enough back to clear the rack.

Ferd

The front sump on my oil pan is behind the steering rack. Unfortunately, though, the sump was hitting the crossmember and would have either required the crossmember or the sump to be modified. Modifying the mount instead allowed me to slide the engine back a little bit more to where I think the sump will just clear behind the crossmember. I may have to cut a notch out of the back of the factory crossmember to gain a little clearance, but I'm not sure at this point. All I do know is that the engine's not going to go any further back. There's only about 1/8" between the head and the firewall!

Gene