HybridZ

RB25DET vs. RB25DE NEO

Phyxius

I was curious as to how these motors physically compare. ie: rods, crank, pistons, head.

Since it has vvl, I assume the head is or is similar to the RB26DETT head. Is this correct?

I may have found a good deal on a RB25DE and am wondering if it would be worth it to convert it to a DET. Since I'd probably get new rods and pistons anyway, I don't think that part would matter much.

What is a good price to pay for such a motor?

I am interested in this as well. The neo rb25 seems like a cool engine. The engine only makes like 200 bhp though. The Supra VVL engine makes 20hp more, or the IS300 engine makes 215.

It is a nice engine but for the price you could get something better that you could improve on more. But if N/A is your thing then go for it. I haven't really seen them for sale. You said you found one for a good price, how much?

Because you can get an rb25det for like 3500. Honestly I perfer turbo engines because they are basicially n/a when they are not in boost, so you get the good gas milege and then you push it into boost and you have a monster, not to mention you can turn for race and pump fuel pretty easily.

I honestly think that for n/a a bmw e36 m3 engine would be cool. It has awesome gearing and a nice fat flat torque curve, but they are pricey like 4k for the motors but they ususally have a gang of miles on them though.

Another option would be the F20C from the Honda S2000. This engine would be fun as hell in a light car like a Z. There are a ton of options for the Z since the ebay is so big you can do just about anyting, it all depends on what the car is used for. If the car is daily driven maybe an SBC/SBF might not be your best bet because of the poor mpg. There are tons of combinations of diffrent sounds and powerbands you just have to choose what suits you.

The rb25de neo engine unless really cheap is not worth it IMO, but that's just me.

On a side note I have heard of hybrid n/a engines like the Rb30de that make like 250 hp in stock configuration with an rb25 head, something to think about.

I have a nice L28ET setup right now, but I was looking at this motor for my other car. The price i found it for was $700 on ebay. From what I've read, you can't really mod it without messing up the intake and exhaust tuning pretty badly...it supposedly has a variable geometry intake manifold and VVL.

I'm sure you could just turbo the hell out of it and be fine though, but I've decided to go another route

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

well why not get the motor and the transmission you need, since they're not that expensive, and then try and see what works. I've seen conversions for later to earlier conversions that seem to work, so i think you'll get somewhere if you get the two in hand and try it out.

either way, if it's not the power, then why is the clutch type an obstacle?

Pull-type vs. Push-type clutch

Automatic NEOs are a dime a dozen, and can be had VERY cheap for a motor-set. If I could do a trans swap with a standard Rb25det 5-speed, then I could take advantage of having the upgrade of the Neo head, without having to spend as much as buying a full 5 speed Neo

Ah, maybe I missed something. The title says RB25DET versus RB25DE_ NEO. Not RB25DET NEO. Perhaps it was just a mis-type.

Ah, maybe I missed something. The title says RB25DET versus RB25DE_ NEO. Not RB25DET NEO. Perhaps it was just a mis-type.

No, I'm thinkin of boosting a Neo RB25DE, I have no problems with that idea, people do it all the time. But the problem is, they can be found at great deals with an automatic, I'm wondering what it would take to use a regular RB25DET transmission behind it.

No, I'm thinkin of boosting a Neo RB25DE, I have no problems with that idea, people do it all the time. But the problem is, they can be found at great deals with an automatic, I'm wondering what it would take to use a regular RB25DET transmission behind it.

Hmm, have you tried the skylinesaustralia.com? I have seen auto NEO's modded on there. I am sure they'd know one way or another.