HybridZ

Finnally hope for us sbf guys

Hitman47

Guest harpy_hater

First post here, everyone...

I'm getting a '77 280z 2seater VERY soon. I, unfortunately, know very little about them... as I'm a fairly die-hard Ford guy. Thus, I'm interested in dropping in a 302 (probably from a wrecked fox-body). I need some more information about this kit that's being proposed.

The following questions are directed toward Hitman:

Will this kit work for a '77?

What is included?

Will it be a strictly bolt-in affair?

What (if any) additional parts would be needed?

Would it be possible to use a crate 302 and the Datsun's 5speed tranny?

These questions are for everyone else that has experience with the SBF swap:

Would I have traction issues during normal street driving?

What kind of gas mileage could I expect from a solid 300hp build? 350hp?

Any info would be GREATLY appreciated on this...

P.S.: Good luck getting back on track, Hitman.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Battle Pope
First post here' date=' everyone...

I'm getting a '77 280z 2seater VERY soon. I, unfortunately, know very little about them... as I'm a fairly die-hard Ford guy. Thus, I'm interested in dropping in a 302 (probably from a wrecked fox-body). I need some more information about this kit that's being proposed.

The following questions are directed toward Hitman:

Will this kit work for a '77? [b']There's no kit yet that I'm aware of.[/b]

What is included? As I said, no kit yet that I know of.

Will it be a strictly bolt-in affair? Probably not. "kits" usually never are.

What (if any) additional parts would be needed? Probably quite a few. Definitely the engine/accessories, transmission, and a new driveshaft.

Would it be possible to use a crate 302 and the Datsun's 5speed tranny? Absolutely not. Even if the trans were to hold up to the power, you'd still have to go through the hassle of adapting everything.

These questions are for everyone else that has experience with the SBF swap:

Would I have traction issues during normal street driving? I've been told that any engine in any car will be fine as long as you keep your foot out of it and drive responsibly.

What kind of gas mileage could I expect from a solid 300hp build? 350hp? That would depend on if you were using carburetion or fuel injection.

Any info would be GREATLY appreciated on this...

P.S.: Good luck getting back on track, Hitman.

Comments are bolded. :)

Guest harpy_hater

OK, remember... this thread was started by someone proposing to start manufacturing a kit. Hence the reason I said "the kit that's being proposed" and not "the kit that's available."

Anyways, the 302 build would most definitely be FI, not carbureted.

Also, I kinda figured that the stock tranny would have to go... but I figured I'd ask just in case.

Guest Battle Pope
OK' date=' remember... this thread was started by someone proposing to start manufacturing a kit. Hence the reason I said "the kit that's being proposed" and not "the kit that's available."

Anyways, the 302 build would most definitely be FI, not carbureted.

Also, I kinda figured that the stock tranny would have to go... but I figured I'd ask just in case.[/quote']

sorry, misunderstood. I simply meant that the proposed kit isn't available yet to my knowledge.

on a 300hp build, if you used a T5, you could probably get 20 on the highway driving normally. Maybe a couple more if you grannied it.

My 260Z with 300+ rwhp and a 5.0L EFI motor gets about 21 mpg on the highway. My engine has the stock 1989 bottom end with a bazillion miles on it, has edlbrock aluminum heads, Crower 15511 cam, Cobra intake 24# injectors, 73mm MAF, Ford Motorsport 1.72:1 roller rockers(E351). The key to getting good milage is an overdrive transmission (T5), and reasonable gear ratio. I have the 3.545 gear now and will soon be running the 3.36. With the rear current gear ratio and 24.7" tall tires, the car runs at 2300 rpm at 70 mph in fifth gear(0.680:1). Without the overdrive, my rpms would be 3400 at 70 mph(ugh!). After I switch to the 3.36 rear gear, 70mph will be at 2200 rpms and 160mph will be at 5000 rpms in fifth:twisted: .

Right now, with the 3.545 rear end, I never use 1st gear on the street. It is too short, and the torque of the 5.0L makes it very comfortable to take off in second gear. The 3.36 rear gear should make first gear more streetable.