HybridZ

Finnally hope for us sbf guys

Hitman47

Bump for updates? Anything going on? Anyone with a mod motor, a Z car, and a tape measurer? How about the cobra IRS?

Ya know, an occasional update would be cool.

So to keep this one alive...

BUMPITY....

Bumpity, bumpity....

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bump for updates? Anything going on? Anyone with a mod motor' date=' a Z car, and a tape measurer? How about the cobra IRS?

Ya know, an occasional update would be cool.

So to keep this one alive...

BUMPITY....

Bumpity, bumpity....[/quote']

I took measurments a while ago... I think the DOHC mod motor WILL fit... but I dont think there will be a way in hell to get the exhaust manifolds to go on.

When I pull the motor in the cobra (I have no clue when that will happen) I will drop it in a Z car and see how it fits.

Guest c21brian

I converted my Z to Ford power 5 Years ago...the guy that did the conversion was over 70 years old and also a genious fabricator. I had so many compliments regarding the extremely simple frame rail brackets and yes the engine is up against the firewall and way low in the chassis..I have a 50/50 weight ratio front to back and never has it failed. I had only wished I had done this 5 years earlier as the fabricator is no longer up to this kind of work and he could have kept busy making these 3 simple parts from jigs for a while. and get this...he was trying to get me to convert to a 8.8" 5 years ago!!! ...and would not have done the job had I not agreed to go with Ford power!! He taught me that the SBF was lighter and narrower than the SBC allowing it to be installed the way us auto-xers need it.

Guest BOOMER-Z

Well, they say nature abhorrs a vacuum, so here's your chance. Anyone who's been following this thread can see that there's at least a limited market for some kind of kit (or at least motor mounts and transmission mount) to bolt a small block Ford into the early Z. Just pull your motor, get your mounts duplicated, and cash in! Seriously, I've been following the Hybrid Z site for about a year and I'm amazed that with all the skilled fabricators who participate here, no one has filled this void. It's easy money for somebody if you ask me. I have a '77 and just recently picked up an '84 5.0 H.O. along with an '86 T-5. This is a father-son project car (it's going to be his if and when it ever gets done), and we just finished replacing the floors and adding frame rails. We tore the motor down for rebuilding, and we should be in a position to swap in the new engine and tranny by Fall. I'm not an ace fabricator, so when I first investigated this swap, Al Silvera's (ALSIL) crossmember seemed to be the answer, and I was ready to purchase one. Then after more research, I discovered that you needed to cut the steering shaft and install a u-joint for clearance, which spooked me. At this point, I'm going to have Wayne Fox's (Capt. Zorro) motor mounts duplicated (he was kind enough to share the plans in a post here) and either use the JTR trans mount, or rig some kind of u-shaped mount like the MSA kit. If anyone were to make this swap a bolt-in affair, I would definately be interested.

Rick

I put up some plans for a simple mount for the Ford V8 on the forum about 6 or 8 mo. ago. There's not a lot to doing one, if I can figure it out anyone with a little mechanical ability can also. I did my mounts with a Harbor Freight bandsaw and a Daytona Mig 110 unit about 15yrs. ago.

The main reason I haven't made a kit is product liability. If someone screws up and get's hurt in a car that has your kit in it a good lawyer can "wear you out". I just got out of a $350.000 lawsuit last year that had gone on for 6 years. I don't need anymore of that entertainment for a long time.

Guest Ares68Coupe

I am interested in the kit. I am building a car for my friend who finally is getting his *** in gear. The car will be here tommorow and I am starting to strip the engine bay down and prep it for the swap. So when this "JTR/Ford Kit" is ready, I'll definetely be down for a kit.

Ares,

The gist of this post is that it seems that "hitman" has hit the road with his project. If you want to do the Ford V8 conversion you'll have to fabricate a few parts and hit the junkyard's a little for some more. If you've got the time it will work out cheaper for you than having someone put together a "Kit" that you can do yourself.

If you hit the search function at the top of the page and type in "Ford Motor Mount" it'll bring up the info I've posted and a bunch of other good tips that the other guy's have posted.

Basically all you need is the motor mounts, trans. mount, "tight tuck" headers, remote oil filter kit, rear sump oil pan and pickup, off a Mustang works good. You'll have to shorten your driveshaft and use the correct universial joint's, any good driveline shop can do it for you for usually less than $75.00. I used a shifter for the C-4 out of an old Must. II and bent a rod to fit for the linkage. A new throttle linkage, radiator, trans oil cooler, exhaust system and if you have a 280Z you'll have to put in a pressure regulator to drop the fuel pressure.

As I've said before if I were doing this again I'd move the engine back a little more for crossmember clearance and If you are doing a manual trans. it will help with locating the shifter in the trans tunnel. A buddy of mine did one with a T-5 a couple years ago and by moving the engine back and down a little he said that the shifter looked like it was made to fit the Z.

If I can help you with anything drop me an e-mail.

Adios Amigos,

I too have 77 280. definetly want to do the ford swap, but i also want to know what i will get for 500 bucks. lot of money for a guy making 8.50 doing spray in liners at a ford dealership with a family to support. right now im just trying to find a computer so i can drive my car. Im in for the kit, but may need to be able to do payments. plan on using a manaul tranny too.

another benefit for the solid axle swap would be a more diverse selection of a wheel and tire combo. would like to see a z with cragar ss on it.

Capt. Zorro, It might as well of been 350M. I agree with you, the first issue is liability. I carry 1M in general liability, but that isn't enough for the lawyers these days. I got sued for 100M in 1997 and won after two years, but it wasn't any fun and cost alot of money.

The second issue is product demand, a dozen or so SBF customers does not a business make. I made my own mounts, I don't see why the sbf is more difficult.

Guest lknookie

Right now i've got a '79 280ZX, and I'm building up my 302ci to go in there, and it's going in there 1 way or another. Spring Break is when i'm cracking down on it, and if and when I get it done, I'll try to post some pics. I honestly have no idea how I'm going to plan on mounting it, but I'll see how it goes. Oh yeah, and if anyone's got a headsup on plans or drawings of motor/tranny mounts, that would be appreciated, cuz jumping in head first isn't really all that bad, but any sort of direction would be appreciated. Thanks. lknookie@hotmail.com if you've got any.

IK,

A good friend of mine put a 302 in his ZX using a similar mount to the one I posted for the Z. He had to move the engine back and down some for clearance. Used a tight tuck header on the passenger side but had to remake the driver's side. If I can ever catch him when he's not busy I'll try to get some info on it.

Adios Amigos,

• 1 month later...

well im waiting on my dads ca" 66 cobra to be done then we are off to the races. Everythging possible has gone bad we keep eating dist gears and we are runnin stadard oil pump, bad cam gears but we havr used so many bramds crans speed pro and comp...but right after that we will have it done my guess 1-11/2 months ready to ship but ebveryone will have to sign a waiver saying if your car ies im not getting sued : )

but you choose wisley ford is lighter more 50/50 balancr and turbo`s so ez its stupid. We will eventually com out with a z shorty turbo header and a garret sigle turbo for us stroker 351 guys who wannt lag and twqin kits for the guys whho want 2 grand up hp. Anywhere from custom 10,000 kits to a mere jy clean as possible 600 kit. But we got the tube bender done so let ,e know if you want a cage/tower braces/frame crossmembers or if you are in our area bay area and need fab work done also we plane tto make a concealable 36 point rllcage kit that hoooks up to a ford 8.8 or 9 inch rear.

Chad