HybridZ

Finnally hope for us sbf guys

Hitman47

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but you choose wisley ford is lighter more 50/50 balancr and turbo`s so ez its stupid. We will eventually com out with a z shorty turbo header and a garret sigle turbo for us stroker 351 guys who wannt lag and twqin kits for the guys whho want 2 grand up hp.

Chad

looked like one of those malaysan rip off guys on a engilish board.

Nah were cool, just a funny statment to read...

BTW getting my motor built soon, im trading a website for a longblock.

Got the ford 9" and soon enough Ill find a TKO and have it built by MMR.

looked like one of those malaysan rip off guys on a engilish board.

Nah were cool' date=' just a funny statment to read...

BTW getting my motor built soon, im trading a website for a longblock.

Got the ford 9" and soon enough Ill find a TKO and have it built by MMR.[/quote']

lol sounded like confusious

Guest Azathoth
could you ask him if it will work in a '83 280zx?? im being told in another thread that there's a slight difference between the z's and that your solution won't work for me :(

pls ask' date=' thanks a lot![/quote']

NO, We're all talking about 1969-1974 240Zs, and maybe 260Zs & 280Zs, NOT ZXs. Nothing past 1978 for sure!

-az-

This thread was started in December of 2004 and still no pictures of this amazing $500 kit. Or is it a $600 kit now? What gives? All I keep reading is how much of an advantage that “we Ford guys†have over the Chevy guys and how the Ford motor is so much lighter and thinner than the Chevy motor. I say prove it.

I mean there are a lot of guys on this board running the Chevy motor and the fear of law suits has not slowed down JTR and MSA and Hooker from selling Chevy 350 kits to the masses. So to “Hitman47†I say if you got a kit let us see it, and if not, well there is always the JTR MSA and Hooker kits for “us SBC guys.†:)

By the way I have nothing against Ford, I have owned a few and liked them. I would even be interested in seeing a Ford 351 in a Z because I think that it would be unique. I just had to vent a little on this long running thread that seems to be promising a lot but going nowhere.

Little side note about solid rear axles.

Still to this day, one of the fastest platforms for mountain type racing with slow speed tight turns with unknown conditions, is the toyota AE86 platform. It's ancient (80's), but with less than 150HP those cars with the right dirver will beat almost anything. They use a 3-link type setup, but they still get plent of travel anyways. I've had the pleasure of driving on at a SCCA cone even and I love how predictable the car was to slide. Just keep it smooth and the car rewarded you. I can't really say the same about my ZX.

I'd love a kit to be around when I start my Z project in the future, but that won't be anytime soon, so don't count me in on these kit buys.

I'd imagine the reason this is taking so long is becuase it sounds like they're totally rebuilding the car. Now, if it gets closer to 6 months down the line, I might start to question, but as of right now, I'd say let them take thier time and work bugs out of thier system and product a valuable product.

Another thing I'd like to mention... If this guy (master genius apparentlly) is working on cobras and the likes and has a waiting list of customers, we should be extremelly thankful that he's working with a Z car. From what I've found, most other car people types look down on the Z. Everyone thinks of it as a poor man's sports car (wich it is to some extent) and refuses to have anything to do with them because of it.

You said a mighty big word there "IF"

I was only wondering why hasn't the process been documented better so as to entice others with photographic evidence that there is something going on with the Ford kit.

I am willing to wait for a quality part but then I have already decided to go Chevy a long time ago anyway. Ah but my next project just might be a Ford powered Z car.

By the way I have to disagree with you on the Z not getting much respect with car guys.

I'd also imagine the view of the Z car might depend on where you live. Here in cali they're dime a dozen, and SBC Zs are everywhere and a actual NICE one is rare. I see more fast L28ET swaps into first gen Z cars then I do SBC swaps. Again, this is probly just a local thing. The plain and simple fact is that the people around here that COULD be making fast Z cars aren't the ones buying them, it's people that either don't have the money or the knowledge trying to make a fast car. I've seen countless Zs at street races with SBCs in them that can't get traction and I try telling them they just plain need more meat under there, the typical responce is "just wait till I have more power man."

The reason "I" like Z cars is the amazingly wide pallet they offer, and thier huge base of customizers. We almost revial mustangs in percentage of prouction restored, not may cars can say that.

So, maybe Zs do get some respect out there in georgia, but I'll guarentee that the ricerz out here don't care, and the muscle car people are too elite to notice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest TAyres

I feel like I'm going to have to call a bluff here on this thread. I'd love a Ford V8 in a Z car - they are lighter than chevy v8's from everything I've read, and the distributor is in a better place to put the engine farther back, apparently... So... lets get an update! Lets get some pics. If nothing is happening, lets let this thread die, until someone else wants to start making some motor mounts, a tranny crossmember, and other assorted swap goodies for a kit.

Wouldn't that be great though? To be able to go either SBC or SBF? Dang! Options!

Guest 305240

Actually, the mounts for the 5.0 are some of the easiest to make. When I installed mine in my 240, it was the easiest swap I've ever did. I mounted my C4 tranny using the stock 72 240 trans mount just by drilling a couple of holes along side the original hole. I think my engine sets a little more to the front than others would like, but I don't have to cut the steering shaft and I can get to the oil drain easily. The drain plug sets just above and at the rear edge of the cross member. I can also unbolt the trans with out taking the engine out. I can use the stock exh manifolds or the mustang shortie headers. I have enough room to mount a 2 speed Taurus fan to a stock 280 rad and 280 shroud. An oil filter relocation kit took care of my filter problem. I have about 5/8" clearance between the hood and air filter.

Check previous posts from me as well as Capt. Zorro. My total cost, after I got it right, was about 11 bux for metal, plus a 6 pak of amber bock for my friend to weld it.

I really doubt this was a hoax, it's probably just how most of our projects go (at least mine!). You get all enthusiastic, start working, get dirty, and go, "wow, this is more work than I thought." It takes a while to get everything right.

If you'd like to see my 5.0 HO EFI with T-5 in my 240, go to

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/g_wheeler2001/album?.dir=5a6a&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/g_wheeler2001/my_photos

I ended up as far back and as low as I could go. Didn't cut the steering shaft, but did have to shave the passenger side shorty Mustang header to clear the frame rail. I also lowered the stock cross-member an inch to clear the oil pan and pulley.

Guest Battle Pope

As I said before, My friend Keith is doing a Thunder Ranch GTO kit and will be using a supercharged 5.0 I can try to document exactly what he does to install it, and if there's interest I bet he'd reproduce the mounts for very competitive prices.

Sorry guys just got out of rehab for a painkiller problem with my football injury it set me and the project back quite a bit so to all who are crying hoax or doubting me please lay off ive had a rough 60 days and life isnt pretty now so unless anybody has good suggestions please shut up. I lost my football scholarship blew my shoulder out and got strung out on painkillers so please lighten up.

Chad

Guest iskone

Sh!t, That sucks. Good luck with getting your life back on track. It can be real hard depending on how long you were using just keep with it.

"Cocaine is a crazy drug"

Isk