HybridZ

R230 first trial fit (pictures)

jbc3

Guest JAMIE T

Right now, everything is theory. I have no idea how my 2400lb car is going to react with an 8500 rpm redline, and 3.69-3.70 ratio gears. My car probably won't be optimized for drag racing specifically anyway. Also, I need to find out what the ratios are in the OS gearset that is in my trans.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a driveshaft flange for the R230' date=' http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=93863&page=2

I called and spoke with Powertrain Industries and you can buy the adaptor from him or have your local driveshaft guy buy it from him when you get your driveshaft built.

maichor writes

Just ordered the flange yoke from them and the part is in stock and I will have mine in two days....

LARRY

i`m thinking about doing the r230 swap and use some of the same sollutions as timZ, but i want it abit higher so i will notch the frame some. my question is, can i use the original r180 m-bar as a base or do i need the r200 bar?

anyone?

• 4 weeks later...
i`m thinking about doing the r230 swap and use some of the same sollutions as timZ, but i want it abit higher so i will notch the frame some. my question is, can i use the original r180 m-bar as a base or do i need the r200 bar?

As far as I know you are required to use the R200 bar to make it work with the R230 (currently doing the swap myself).

Of course I've never used a R180 myself, but I think I remember reading about guys making the switch from a R180 to R200 and mentioning that they needed the matching bar.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
ROSS, any updates on your "kit"

The diff mounts will be forthcoming by early in the new year. These are combined with our focus on front control arms to complete our rear LCA setup.

(bit off topic, but I'm pretty pumped as one of our customers just ran a few 9's this past weekend in Australia on our custom stub axles!! He's running an 80's Gazelle (our 200SX), 2 litres, 600hp and 1.4 60's!! These stub axles (not 280Z units) also fit R31's and Z31's. Previously his OE stubs were always breaking repeatedly in the 1.5 60's. )

Cheers,

• 4 months later...
Guest BiltWel

I love Timzs fabed up assembley, but (I am assumming here that this car has dual exhaust on it can't tell from the pic) why didn't you put another hump in that front member fot the exhaust clearance like this

y2BCYY4n-mC38KLMnHwvf-Bf58Unw-790300.jpg

if it does not have dual exhaust I understand if it does I don't because you are obviously talented with fab work anyway just wondering and thought i'd throw the pick out there just so everyone takes that much longer building there Z.lol

I love Timzs fabed up assembley' date=' but (I am assumming here that this car has dual exhaust on it can't tell from the pic) why didn't you put another hump in that front member fot the exhaust clearance like this

[img']http://shutter05.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/04/004/7F/F2/1A/58/y2BCYY4n-mC38KLMnHwvf-Bf58Unw-790300.jpg[/img]

if it does not have dual exhaust I understand if it does I don't because you are obviously talented with fab work anyway just wondering and thought i'd throw the pick out there just so everyone takes that much longer building there Z.lol

The main reason is that I didn't need to - my exhaust exits on each side in front of the tires, so I can forego all that mess. :mrgreen:

Also, the placement of the second hump in your pic would be a bit too far to the right (notice that they are not symetrical) for the for/aft bars to tie in. If you wanted to do something like this with my setup, you could probably just move the second hump inboard, since you no longer need to leave room for the stock front diff mount. Bear in mind that everything is a bit tighter on that side, due to the diff nose's offset, which is about 15mm greater than that of the r200...

diff_cradle_010.jpg

The main reason is that I didn't need to - my exhaust exits on each side in front of the tires' date=' so I can forego all that mess. :mrgreen:

[/quote']

I was considering going that route, what mufflers and diameter exhaust are you using?

If you have any pics, that would be awesome.

Thanks Tim.

I was considering going that route' date=' what mufflers and diameter exhaust are you using?

If you have any pics, that would be awesome.

Thanks Tim.[/quote']

I'm currently changing my exhaust to accomodate the GT42R - I had a custom muffler made with a 4" oval inlet, 2.25" round inlet for the wastegate, and two 3" oval outlets:

muffler1.jpg

muffler2.jpg

If you look closely you can see that the perforated tubing on the inside does an x-pipe style crossover in the middle

muffler3.jpg

muffler4.jpg

The muffler fits under the driveshaft in the trans tunnel, and the two 3" oval outlets each do a 90 and come out in front of the tire on both sides.

I just noticed recently that Dynomax is now selling something similar that would work great for your application:

http://www.dynomax.com/Products/Ufx.asp

Guest BiltWel

Sweetness who made the mufler and how much was it? That would work nicley on my rear exit setup also. I like the fact that it fits in the hump under the shaft. I was thinking of putting mine in the rear since I am running a fuel cell and don't have tank clearance issues. But that may be better. Also what's it going to sound like have you heard one like it before?

Ross (I'd like to see a diff dyno session with an R230 vs. a quaife R200... )

I have searched, but haven't found where anyone that's done the R200 Quaife with MM's 300ZXT CVs has broken it with "high torque". Anybody know of a case where someone broke these parts?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...