HybridZ

I got my engine, need help with ID

Guest RED280

I have been planning this swap for many months and was able to pick up an engine last week. The really great news is that I got it for free! It's a 351 with GT-40 heads and intake, and is complete with the computer and fuel injection required to run in the boat. The info I could find said it's rated at 325hp. It's out of a ski boat and only has ~150 hours on it.

Has anybody here ever used a engine like this before? I'm wondering if I will need to change out many of the FI components to get it to work. It doesn't seem to have a mass air meter. Just an air cleaner mounted to the upper plemum just before the throttle body. I would imagine that I would need a mass air meter and a differant computer to run it in my car.

Any thoughts or ideas???

I's torn down right now. I'm freshing it up with new rings and bearings.

I've already run into the problem of finding parts for it. Or at least it looks like I've run into the problem, keep in mind that I'm new at this V-8 stuff.

Do you guys know of any source to ID Ford block and head #'s???

Any ideas, suggestions, part experiences, do's, dont's...

thanks

Jp Plank

You might check to see which way that engine rotates. I've known of a number of boat engines, including 351's that run in reverse from what a normal car engine does. If it runs in reverse, then you'll need to change that. I'm not sure what all that involves, but at least a cam for sure.

Gene

Yeah, I thought about the whole left hand and right hand turning engines. The firing order on the intake is the same as a 302 so I would imagine that it rotates the standard direction.

If it doesn't...I would think a new crank, cam and dizzy would solve the problem.

If the motor is set up for reverse rotation, you will need to change the following:

Camshaft

Reverse the pistons on the rods (the pins are slightly offset to counteract thrust, and the direction of the offset is rotation dependent).

distributor drive gear (I think)

oil pump (I think)