HybridZ

Major Start Issues,was working fine before: L20et

george.bryant

Hey people,

I have a 1983 Paul Newman Edition R30 GT-ES Nissan Skyline with a L20et and Auto gearbox. Everything on it is factory. I bought it off an old gentleman for $650NZ who imported went over to Japan, and found it on a lot and imported it to New Zealand in 1991, he was the 1st NZ owner, now i am the 2nd :-) I have never seen one of these Paul Newman r30s in the condition that this one is in. It's amazingly tidy on the outside and looks great!

But unfortuanly now it won't start for some totaly "random" reason. I have been getting advice from a couple of very helpfull people in NZ who also own R30s. The problem is basically like this:

1.Put key on and turn on ignition

~ Fuel Pump makes its priming noise for about 4 seconds (it could be

longer actuall

~ Dash lights come on, "if" I pump my foot on the gas a couple of the

lights go off.

2. Turn key once fuel pump is on

~ Turns over and runs to around 900-1200rpm for about one second then

dies!

~ Turn key again to give it another go and it just keeps cranking

eventually battery loses power. Altho i never keep trying if it

doesnt start cause i know how bad it is for it.

Since the day i had this problem (over a month ago now). I have replaced the Battery and Spark plugs. I just got a another ECU,Puel Pump Computer and Dizzy Cap today. I put them all in, but its still doing exactly the same thing (i'm jumping it from my r31). It has about 1/4 of a tank of gas in it. It has new oil and a filter. It is getting a spark. I have tried unlplugging the Knock Sensor, Boost Sensor, Idle Sensors, TPS and that other sensor right next to it, something to do with emission i believe and it still wont go. Thats about it....*sigh*

Its driving me nuts, I wanna drive this thing! Its turbo is in AMAZING condition for its age, I'm pleased I got it off a old fella whos probly never put his foot down. I'm hoping someone here can help, i know how informative you guys are. And jsut so you all know, i'm on a very tight budget.

My first help thread is here on SDU, and if I missed anything itll be in there.

Regards, George

Hi George,

There are many on this list that are more knowlegeable than I but I'll give it a go. Have you checked the fuel pump relay? From what you are describing, it sound like the pump gets power from 2 different places, one for startup and one for running modes. I'd look for a power relay for the fuel pump.

Joe

Its finally going!

Turns out all along it was the fuel pump computer. I'm still having minor probs, but it runs sweet. I jsut need some new Idle Control Valves, becasue it runs like crap with it plugged in but it doesnt stall on take off, if i have it unplugged it runs smooooth as but it feels like its gonna stall on take off and it does.

I'm getting my popoff valve welded up asap.

I thought the r30 was all good. But somethings up. I just went for a drive i went 23 km, It got really hot. Like right upto the hot thing, and was blowing a **** load of white looking smoke (it didnt smell like anything and looked like steam to me). It was chuggering like a tracktor, I pulled into the garage for 5 mins to let it kewl down and it went down a little bit. But it was right upto the 2nd line for the hot marking. Then when i went to take off it stalled, then it started again. I managed to get home with it running hot as hell, i let it cool down for like 5 mins before turning it off (i put the heater on hot too and cranked the fan) and it went for 5 mins and just died. Then it let me turn it back on straigh away perfectly (i was jsut checking) but it was chuggering like ****!! My knock sensor is unplugged at the moment too. I didnt have the Bit going from the grill to the airbox in but i didnt think that would matter to much in these cold conditions. Anyway...what is up? Suggestions people? Should I unplug my idle sensors again and plug the knock sensor back in?

Its ****ing annoying the hell out of me, I was gonna goto nelson for new years but not at the rate this thing is running.