HybridZ

Differences between 280z and 280zx?

Guest Boopie

Damn.....Let's take the 1980 280ZX as an example. There were 3 models produced. One for CALIFORNIA, one for non-CA.(USA only), and one for CANADA. The CA. model did not have a E.R.G. valve and the other two did. The non-CA. USA model used a air induction system to supply secondary air from the air induction valve into the exhaust manifold utilizing a vacuum caused by exhaust pulsation in the exhaust manifold caused by the opening and closing of the exhaust valve. The CANADA model used a thermal vacuum valve. The CA. model was a closed type crankcase emission control system.

LARRY

Ok.. Tyson; whatever. I'm not sying the zx is 'worse' or 'better'.. the ORIGINAL poster asked for DIFERENCES between 280z and 280zx. I was listing some obvious difreneces BESIDES the body style/ect... (as you seamed to be trying and turn this into a 'zx is better than the z' thread..) I LIKE the zx's I like the older Z's too. They're cool cars man...

And as for my car, COME ANT LOOK FOR YOURSELF!!! :lol: There is NO o2 sensor. I don't care if you say there is, because I know it's not there. I looked for it, trust me! There is a THROTLE VALVE SWITCH instead of a THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR. (look it up in a FSM if you still don't believe me) No head temp sensor either... YES its EFI, but it's a basic.. less advanced system then the 280zx's had. Perhapes in Canada only, so be it. Thats the way it is. Really...dude.. I don't pretend to know evrything.. but what I do know, well.. I know. I am insulted that you think my post was 'utter nonsence' but hey.. thats your problem, not mine. :) I'm done posting in this thread.. Ther's no need to start a 'war' over this.

My 76z did not have a O2 sensor, neither did my 79 ZX. However I had a 83n/a and it did have a O2 sensor. I think the older ECU's were kinda primitive and didn't have any kind of feedback/correction system. Although you have to consider that these were Canadian models. Another thing I noticed about the older L28 is that it didn't have a temp sensor in the head (near #5 spark plug) It just used the sensor by the thermostat. I had a online argument once with a American that said they all have temp sensors in the head and claimed that he was a mechanic at a Nissan dealer for years and that I didn't know what I was talking about. I just told him it must be a difference in Canadian models. So here's a question for all you Yanks, was he right? Do all US L28's have temp sensors in the head, or was he the one who didn't know what he was talking about?[/quote

You are 100 per cent correct. Early ZX models for the,USA only, had cylinder head temp. sender and the CANADA model had a water temp. sensor built into the thermostat housing. Also the non- CALIFORNIA models had a air temp.sensor built into the air flow meter and the CA. model had a exhaust gas sensor that reacted to the density of the oxygen in the exhaust gas.

LARRY

Well atleast I learned something from this post! I never thought of an EFI system with out a feedback sensor like the O2 sensor. I just figured they(EFI systems) all had them! :lol:

Now I wonder why the guys at MSA(who are in CA) were so confused about me not having an EGR system on my 280ZX......shouldnt they have known that the CA model didnt have EGR? LOL

Thanks for the info Larry!

Guy

Well atleast I learned something from this post! I never thought of an EFI system with out a feedback sensor like the O2 sensor. I just figured they(EFI systems) all had them!

Yes, in fact I am running a re-chipped z31 ecu in my car and although I do have a O2 sensor it is not being used. Basically it just serves as a plug for when it dosn't have a wideband hooked up. The feedback/learn mode was causing more problems than good so we turned that part of the program off. Alot of people assume that a efi system MUST HAVE a O2 but it actually runs fine without it. It just cannot compensate for abnormal rich/lean conditions (like a vacuum leak or something) Now the ecu does exactly what it is programmed to do and dosn't try to "think"

Geez,

I didn't want to start a war with this question.

I wanted to know what were the major differences like weight, length, body, and suspension changes.

My father in law had given me two 280zx's.

I plan on using one of them for a sbc swap and the other for parts.

I was just wondering if I swapped a v-8 into this car what were the differences between Z and ZX. It seemded to me more people were using the Z instead of the ZX. I wanted to know why.

It seems from reading on the board and people responses that with a v8 swap there isn't really a performance difference between a Z and ZX with a v8. It's just a matter of personal preference.

Thanks for all of the responses this board is great.

it comes down to ease of installation and smog factors. Some people especially those in Cali, use the older 240 because it is easier to pass smog because it is exempt. Also the JTR kit was developed for the older 240 - 280Z models and makes a swap easier if you aren't good at fabbing your own parts. The ZX did improve on the aerodynamics of itself and from what I remember doesn't have the classic Z exhaust smell. It is newer and has newer features than a Z, so if you like power stuff it is cool. Since your cars were free, you have a head start. Lots of people here have put v8's in there ZX's so the information is out there. As long as you love the car, go for it. The ZX is a beautiful car too. MSA sells stuff for both cars for aftermarket appearance too. I personally love my 78 car, but would own a zx if I had the space to put it. Good luck

• 2 years later...
  • 10 years later...
On 12/23/2004 at 8:26 PM, Guest Boopie said:

Hello,

I need to know the differences between a 280z and 280zx?

Thanks,

Something I want to know is if the driveshaft of the 280z to the 280zx are the same , the OEM engine mounts are the same. so for a swap would you be able to use the same mounts and driveshaft as you would use on a 280z for a 280zx?