HybridZ

Dizzy Q's - searched but ....

heavy85

Main question is whether to use the vacuum advance or not? Some say dont because is hurts performance but Norm runs 12's and best I can tell he uses the vacuum advance. This will be a weekend warrior multipurpose Z (autox, drag occasionally, ect - but no trailer queen so it has to be streetable to at least get to the race) with the typical tripple 44 mikunis, headers, cam, MSD, shaved head P79/F54, etc. On a side note, it's got an electronic ignition dizzy which I just took appart to clean up and noticed the cage below the 'breaker plate' is broken. By the looks of it this cage was an engineers exercise in 'how far can we push it' or rather 'how thin can we make it'. Anyway, the plate doesn't seem to have any function since it's not really tied to anything? What exactly does this plate with the balls on either side do anyway because it's not obvious unless I'm just completely missing something?

In determining what to do I read a bunch of old posts and it's not real clear the advantages / disadvantages of running vacuum advance other than 'better mileage' or 'better for performance'. What exactly are the benefits / downfalls?

Thanks

Cameron

Oh and Merry Christmas - kids are now in bed ... well 'cept for the baby and I dont even have anything to put together this year:(

I believe the vac advance IS mainly to get better mileage... by using it, you run less initial advance. I don't run mine and I have no drivability problems. Not so great gas consumption, but for me, thats not a big deal; it's a sports car, a toy if you will.. I bought/built it to have fun, and I drive it hard. If I was conserned about fuel economy, Id buy a honda civic. :lol:

I run an electronic zx dizzy as well and found the car a bit slugish with the advance attached.. and at hight rpm/heavy acceleration, it would ping.. so I disconected it and run as advanced as I can at idle... I'm not sure if this is corect, but I think the control module advances timing a bit as well on it's own..