HybridZ

New guy here... With power problems!

Guest flyZ

Hello everyone! I'm new at the forum and I tried to find answers with the search but didn't find... And I need your help guys. I have 280 ZXi with lots of rust (not very well-known car around here) and while welding it together I've been thinking about the L-6 and what to do with it. It has F54 block with n42 head (haven't yet taked it to pieces) and I was wondering what would be the best way to produce approx. 250 hp (rear wheel) out of it. I can't use (or I can but those heads are expensive here) other head, just n42, so is it possible to supercharge (no turbo) with this head or should I stay NA? And what kind of mods do I have to make? This car is going to be my daily driver at the summer (at the winter we have time do trim for this classic! ;) but also it would be nice thing if it would move like a sportscar...

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

Turbocharging it or installing a V8 will be the cheapest way to reach 250whp. Doing it with a n/a L28 will take a lot of time and money, and it won't be as streetable.

You can drop the compression by using a thicker head gasket and removing some material from the combustion chambers and piston crowns.

Well, yah a V8 or turbo is gona do it for sure.. but sticking with the L6.. 250 is possible but is that a number you just 'picked' to shoot for? Really, in a well setup Z (good suspension/brakes/ect) 200 horse is lots.. Shaved head, thiner head gasket, cam, port inntake and exhast manifold/header.. and there's the 'stroker' motor build up as well.. Guys have pulled 300+ hp out of the L6 (highly modified, yes) N/A.. but around 200-250 is doable and can still be streetable IMO.. like has been said, it'll take a bit of $$$.