HybridZ

Low budget+'78 280z=What should I do?

Hashi

Hey guys...WELL, I have a '78 280Z and don't know what to do. After experiencing Wiggin' Out S30's baddass ZXT swap in his 280 first-hand, I know that I'll undoubtedly go with the turbo ZX motor...however, I'm only 19, work at a pet shop, and still go to school, so I'm on a tight budget. I want a daily driver that will at least dip into the 13's, and I really want to start doing stuff right now. Will I reap those kind of benefits with just a whole bunch of go-fast stuff from MSA? Or should I just go with the turbo setup? I know what you guys will say...but I want to start now and don't really have that kind of time to do a whole swap until the summer, unless there's someone that either has done it before(WIGGIN' OUT S30!!!) or that really knows what they're doing... any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spend money now on the brakes and suspension. Do not buy a bunch of bolt on stuff from msa that won't work when you do the swap. Get the car handling well and looking good and enjoy it. 19 and working at a pet shop, you really don't need to drop a bundle on a swap. I know that is not what you want to hear but it is the father comming out in me. Good luck in what ever you choose to do.

Mark

most ppl prob wont be with me on this..

i say: well if you want a fun, quick street car i say find a good low mileage L28ET, good shape 280zx n/a 5-speed, walbro 255lph fuel pump, fmic.. say a NPR or a Volvo unit, make yourself a manual boost controller, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, some gauges, make yourself a nice 3inch exhaust and downpipe (2.5in should be fine), electric fan, take off the nasty and heavy HUGH 280z bumpers, maybe injectors??

im young too and above is pretty much desicribing my Blue Z, you can do it very cheap and have a 13 sec car easy.

maybe put some stainless steel brake lines, new and better pads, some 280zx turbo wheels (light and cool looking) and maybe upgrade the bushings..

and a air dam.

remember used parts are your friend! :D

if its gonna be a reg street car and dont have much money i say do that..

mike

save you cash and keep and eye out for a wrecked 82-83 280ZXT, I've picked up 2 of them at $350 each, the stock L28ET with a boost controller and afpr got my 240 to a 13.6 ET with everything else stock at about 8psi, aslo keep in mind if you buy a whole car you can sell the unused parts on ebay, and if the car isn't a total waste you could come out even money if not ahead

The suggestions made by ON3GO I pretty much agree with (nice touch with the 2.5DP should be fine btw) The only thing is that it sounds to me that a 13 second Z might be a little out of your budget. Cheapest way is a L28et (or a V8 ) but they both cost money. ON3GO's setup would likely set you back a few grand unless you had alot of good connections.

Good luck at any rate..

The suggestions made by ON3GO I pretty much agree with (nice touch with the 2.5DP should be fine btw) The only thing is that it sounds to me that a 13 second Z might be a little out of your budget. Cheapest way is a L28et (or a V8 ) but they both cost money. ON3GO's setup would likely set you back a few grand unless you had alot of good connections.

Good luck at any rate..

just noticed your tag line, that seems a bit slow for your mods, you make that pass with sandbags in the hatch? not trying to bust your balls but my 240 ran 13.6 with a gutted interion and stock everything but the fpr and boost controller, I know the 240 is a bit lighter but we're talking about 1.5 seconds faster in a car with less mods

my setup in my blue Z isnt very low budget (well was before the 280K+ mile motor went).. but thats why i say low mileage L28ET..

3inch Mandrel exhaust w/ dynomax muffler + 2.5inch cutout - under a 100 bucks

Blitz BOV w/ flange - $100

boost controller - 10 bucks

downpipe - depends.. say 100 to 250 bucks

motor + tranny - 300 to 800 bucks

fmic setup - 300 or so

fuel pump - 100 bucks

fuel rail - 80

Adjustable FPR - 50 to 150 bucks

and say 300 or so for extra stuff you might need.. mine cost me less then that stuff and it was a 13 sec car, now i spend and upgraded on a few things but still... not much money.

look at thumper on this forum. low 13 sec car (really a 12sec now) and he has like 500 bucks in that car..

mike

Thanks guys... you were all good help. I think the allure of the turbo setup is calling me though. Hey, I don't have anything else to spend my $400-every-other-week-check on, right? I think I almost have all the looks I need for the moment(Pearl white paint, little or no rust, gold 280ZX wheels, and am planning on a new bumper(s), fairlady FF's, fairlady rear spoiler, and badges), so I'm either going to upgrade the suspension/brakes, or save up for that L28ET... still thinking about all those MSA parts...hmmmmmmm........thanks guys.

Hey man Its Gabe, glad you found the site.. I agree with evil and mark , start with suspension and sway bars as well as polyurethane bushings while doing that save up for a wrecked 280zx turbo car.. That way you can have everything you need for the swap as well as sell parts off.. Just make sure it is driveable in march for the South East Z shootout :-) We are caravaning up..

I would start with going over your brakes and suspension to make sure they are all in good shape. Pull out all your interior and look for rust and leaks. If you're on a budget, look for a turbo 280zx for sale and don't spend anything else until you've driven the car for a while and made it safe and reliable. That should come first and can cost several thousand dollars by itself.

i dont want to sound like a ass, or that i dont care for this kids safety.. but i cant see why he can just put the turbo motor in the car and etc..

i mean my blue car isnt unsafe at all, and all i pretty much did was put a turbo motor in it, made sure the brakes were okay, put upgraded bushings in it and so far "called it a day"..

i mean its not any different then buying a 280ZX and just turning the boost up..

mike

just noticed your tag line, that seems a bit slow for your mods, you make that pass with sandbags in the hatch? not trying to bust your balls but my 240 ran 13.6 with a gutted interion and stock everything but the fpr and boost controller, I know the 240 is a bit lighter but we're talking about 1.5 seconds faster in a car with less mods

Yeah I know 14.9 is kinda sad for the mods that I have, wanna hear my sorry-assed excuses?

1: VERY crappy tires

2: first time at the track (ever)

3: Very crappy tires

4: my 280 is likely 400+lbs heavier than your gutted 240

A couple of weeks before the track day I pulled out my small diameter clutch (it was slipping like crazy) I had a large diameter clutch but it looked almost worn right out. I put it in anyway with the idea that it only had to last me a month (till the end of our Z driving season) My buddy offered to let me use his drag slicks at the track, but I figured that would toast the clutch for sure and I'd be looking at a expensive tow bill. Next season with a good clutch and tires, a little more tuning, I'm sure I'll be in the 13's easy

As for your mods ON3GO, I know it CAN be done for cheap. (I actually probably have a fair amount less money in my car than you do) but that is for people that are VERY resourceful... Not everyone has that talent, that's all I'm pointing out. That's not a shot as Hashi either, seeing that I have no idea of his talents/resourcefulness... For all I know he can build a 12sec car with $400?? (not likely however)

He doesn't have a turbo motor yet.

Making sure the car is running well and safely costs money. Could be in the thousands depending on the condition. If you're on a budget that is where the money should go first.

i know he doesnt have it yet, but with the money spent on all the suspension upgrades he can get one..

anyways like i said USED parts are your friend.

mike

Wow... I really didn't mean to start an argument here... but all of it was helping me out. I'm definitely going to do some suspension/brake upgrades to make the car safer, but it's in really good condition already. I mean, I'm the 3rd owner, the first bought it new, sold it after a while and the second owner stored it in his garage for something like, 18 years. I was told that it only has 19,000 and some odd miles, "original miles," but I use original in context because I'm not sure if I believe him, even if it runs beautifully.

Wow... I really didn't mean to start an argument here... but all of it was helping me out.

The good thing about the HybridZ forum is that people don't really argue here, they have "heated discussions" from time to time (I seem to have been in a couple lately) Everyone has different opinions and are free to say them, but nobody on here really gets all that upset on here because there is a attitude of a professional exchange of ideas. Name calling, slamming people ect. Are not tolorated here and I would like to say that it is very nice because that seems to be the norm on most internet forums.

Hashi, sounds like you found a winner, good luck with your journey down the Z car road!

Guys, I'm not even to the upgrades part. You can spend a lot going through your car making sure the stock suspension, drivetrain components, and brakes are working correctly. Of course, maybe he'll be lucky and there will be nothing wrong with any of it. The point is, if he spends all his money on performance upgrades now, he many not have anything left to fix that busted ujoint, cracked brakeline, or screwed up slave cylinder when he finds out about it in the next 5000 miles of driving. I know people in this situation personally.

Not sure how you can take issue with that Mike. :P But happy new years anyway! :)

Just because the car only has 19,000 miles on it doesnt mean teh springs arent saging from sitting, brake lines, fuel lines, coolant lines all rotten, rust is still an issue unless this car was stored in a heated/temperature controlled garage for 18 years. I hope Im wrong about this though. Either way its sounds like you found a real "diamond in the rough"

I wish I had upgraded my car with the body/paint, wheels, and interior before I started the motor swap. Now Im trying to do it all at once and its hurting the ole pocket book! LOL Live and learn I guess. If I was just doing a motor swap my car would be fine the way it is but Im doing a full on resteration/conversion. Everything will be new or like new.

On $200 a week you really cant plan on too many serious mods. Oh and dont bother trying to make a N/A L6 fast on a budget I dont think its possible on a budget! LOL

Guy