HybridZ

I need info on converting my EFI 77 280Z to traditional 240Z SU Carbs....

SonOfZZZap

Personally, I wouldn't do it.. I would either fix the efi or try out one of those 4 barrel holley setups before I would go SU. SU's can be made to work good but unless you have a really good core/carb and have alot of knowlege with them I think you will only be disapointed. Another idea is to upgrade the stock ecu to a z31/maf setup, they work way better than the stock ecu.

well if you got the stock head the carb intake won't bolt up. the 77 would have had an N47 head which has the fuel injection only holes if memory serves, the P90, N42, E88 and E'31 all accect the carb intake, the quirky EFI can be a trick but so can the quirky SU's, I got tired of fighting the SU's and went to an L28ET got tired of fighting that stock EFI (actually it didn't give me any trouble minus the distributor giving up the ghost) and now I'm tuning out my Megasquirt n Spark, no matter what you run you or someone will have issues with it it's best to find whatever makes you comfortable

Heh heh.. here goes.. I had the EXACT same issues with the EFI in my '75 280z. I wanted to switch to SU's, (for simlpcity sake) and got pretty much the same responces at first.. then, a few SU folks spoke up. ( :lol: now here I am on this side of the fence)

I have to say that I am happy with the swap. I bought a set of 72 su's and manifolds, cleaned them up, instaled them, and they worked great. Car fired right up. A week or so of playing and tuning, and the thing (car) was like a different animal.. in a good way. AND I might add, the SU's have to be the SIMPLEST carbs I've ever seen.. no 'special' knowlege is needed IMO. I took them apart, cleaned them, and made new gaskets. Pieck of cake really..

A word on the head bolt holes though.. My 75 has an N42 head, but DOES NOT have the bolt holes for the carb maifold. (There is a simple way around this, I can explain to you if need be..got some 1/4 X 1" flat bar and a drill press?) I recently bought a used head, also stamped N42 and it DOES have the bolt holes.. I can not explain this...

Do you have any more info on the Z31 setup? Im interested...

Normally it is done as a upgrade/swap on a L28 turbo, but I don't see why you can't do it to a N/a

You would have to get several parts to do this to your car however.

1. z31 ecu (84 to 89 of the n/a version) (hell maybe even a maxima ecu??)

2. z31/maxima maf sensor

3. a z31/maxima/pathfinder crank sensor

4. either a z31 injection harness or better yet a 82/83 280zxt harness

If you want more info go to the turbo/supercharger section and there is a sticky post on the swap