HybridZ

Performance tips

Guest Charles Briggs

Guest Charles Briggs

I'm new to this site. Recently purchased a 1981 280z. Car runs well, but looking for a bit more zip. I live in Royal Oak MI. Looking for referral to good mechanic in the area,and suggestions for better performance from the car.

Drop in a V8.

oh gosh... :roll:

you can turbocharge it, high compression n/a, nitrous, even supercharge the current motor, just depends on how much you want to spend and what kind of car this will be used for.

you can also do the V8 swaps from SBC's to SBF's.. its all up to you.

search the site and every answer you have will be answered.

welcome to hybridz..

mike

The best thing that you could do right now, is to take you car, go over all the systems, suspension, brakes, and motor.

Then adjust your valves, do a complete tune up, plugs, wires, rotor, cap, fuel filter, change the oil and new air filter, tranny and diff oil.

Make sure your car is in good tune first, then start with some modifications.

Thats how I would go about it.

Basicaly, what ez-e said.. Then first thing I would do is advance the timing a bit, gut the catylitic (if it's there) and replace the stock restrictive exhast and mufler with something better/bigger. Get a K&N filter, clean the throttle body, put some good gas in her, and make sure you have some good tires on the thing... this is the point where you go for a drive and enjoy it. :lol: However; You will soon tire of the 'lack' of power, but like has been said.. you can go from there. high comp, s/c, turbo, V8.. hange around here for a while and snoop around. Welcome to the site. :)

Guest Charles Briggs

Thanks to all the suggestions and warm welcome I recieved from your folks. I made a typo. I meant to say a 81 280zx. I'll go out today and start with the basic tune up....plugs etc. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as I drive this car...........lots of snow right now in Royal oak Michigan.

Here's a cheap performance mod... gut the interior of that overbloated beast. Then I'd do the intake and exhaust, ditch the cat if you can. Get a fuel pressure reg that'll give you a lil more go on top end.

As for the plug comment I completely disagree, I run bosch plat's in my car and had spitfires before that. Never had any probs, but i had two NGK plugs the insulator cracked. Manf flaw maybe? who knows.

Welcome Newbie!

I remember reading years ago that the best performance increase you can do to your car is you. I think the story goes like this "In the year of 1970 a small Japaness car company by the name of Datsun called the auto press to the launch of a new sports car. The 240z. This event was held at a race track (like most of these events) on had was also a Datsun race crew who had begin working on the new model for the up and coming season." Anyway to keep this short. The marketing guys told the press that each would get a turn around the track in the standard road car with the fastest to get a few laps with the race drive in the race car, to get the lines etc. Then this lucky press member would drive the race Z car against the race car driver in the standard Z car. Here is the good bit.

The race car driver lapped 2 seconds quicker than the fastest of the press in the race car.

So the moral of the story is take your self to a driving school and invests in your driving skills, these performance gains will always be with you no matter what car you drive. Then start to spend your $$ on your car.