HybridZ

Where to put my new 6.5" Speakers?

DeusEx

Hey guys

Recently bought a new pair of 6.5 inch speakers (ZX model cadence actaully has a Z emblem on it lol) and aside from creating a speaker pod on the door i wanted to know how other people had installed their sound systems.

There should be a forum for interior stuff. But anyway, how have ppl mounted splits and compnets in Zs?

FYI i alrady have a set of 6*9 where the tool box should be so i dont wanna mount my new 6.5 in the hatch area.

NO, please don't make kick panels...

juse rebuild your doorsides...

pic's of my doorsides with 6.5" alpine speakers...

first a make the "holders" för the speakers in the angel that i wanted, then i used fleece to cover them that i soaked in polyester (don't know if that's the correct name in english)

i think the pic's talk for them selves...

http://photobucket.com/albums/v405/sir_Daniel/?action=view&current=P1010031.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/v405/sir_Daniel/?action=view&current=P1010061.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/v405/sir_Daniel/?action=view&current=P1090164.jpg

http://photobucket.com/albums/v405/sir_Daniel/?action=view&current=P3280013.jpg

i haven't got any pic's of when they got retrimmed with black vinyl (leather replica)

if you like to to see i can take a pic of it during next week...

ENJOY!

...aside from creating a speaker pod on the door i wanted to know how other people had installed their sound systems..

Well theres the thing... he asked for OTHER options so I gave one.. :lol: What's your issue with kick panel speaker mounting? I mean, if for example.. say you DON'T want to hack up your door panel, or think it may intrude too much towards your leg while driving.. I see by your pics you have a zx.. the older z's are a bit narower (IMO anyway..) and don't have as much room in the door area there. I know I know, it's been done in a 1st gen.. I just wouldnt do it to my car for the reasons I just stated.. I'm sure DeusEx is thinking similarly..

ummmm....yeah, i have a ZX, and it has very limited space, not to mention the extra 6 inches ur gonna hafta move ur feet in so u dont dick up ur new 6.5's, im actually thinkin of how im gonna redo my speaker setup, cuz i gotta completly start from scratch.

I second the thought, we do need an interior forum..*hint hint*

Wow daniel they look great. But how much room does that leave you for leg room. I agree 6.5s are not an easy install and i may have to rethink alot, but i have no qualms in making pods as i want to get my door retrimmed anyway (sorry i cant share the love of the woodgrain strip).

I like the pod idea, sorry but in the footwell you wont get enough air behind a 6.5 to make it worth while. Anyway it goes its gonna be custom. And the best way to decide on custom is see what others have done.

Yes. We need an interior section.....

the room that i have between my leg and the speaker is about 1-2" depending on how you sit in the seat :)

i'g going to rebuild my Dashboars during the winter so i can make room for a 4" coax in bouth sides of it... then i'll probably have to move the gauges, but why not... :)

2 friends of mine (that's in the same carsound team as me PM Competition Team)

has rebuild their dashboards Abbe got a BMW m3 wich i won EMMA with this year, jens got a Saab 900ng (some pic's http://www.germundsjo.com/MADCarsound/byggen.html )

so we'll see what will happend during this winter :)

That would be great if i lived in sweden (was actually looking for IT work over there for a working holiday) but ive found someone to do it for 80AU, might not be supercheap, but its bearable, plus they do alot of show cars and very professional installs.

Thanks again! ;)

I am in the middle of adding some serious sounds to my 240 and was wondering, does anyone know what size the original speaker/mounts that are behind the rear quarter panels. I'd like to replace them since they look at least 20+ years old, the only things is they are JVC's but they don't say the size but, the outside rim measures about 6.25" OD would these be 6, 6.25, or 6.5"'s

Oh yeah, I guess the ZX's dont have mounting points behind the rear quarter panels???

I believe the stock Z speakers are 5.25" and yes, they will likely be toast. :lol: I didn't even replace them as I felt the positioning is.. well, horrible for decent sound in a Z.. I have two 6X9's sitting right behind the seats, pointing up and it work better, but I'm trying to figure out a better way of getting decent sound... I'll probly build a panel in front of the rear light covers, and fire the speakers forward.

Guest 305240

The VP of our local club has a killer sound system in his 280Z. He also has larger door speakers and it's really sharp. I know they don't stick out very much. The next time I see him I'll find out what he did.