HybridZ

Tranny Electrical Wiring

Guest tony78_280z

Guest tony78_280z

Please note my vehicle stats in the signature below.

I got the automatic transmition that came with the motor. While I'd love to have a 5-6 speed manual, i'm happy with the one I got for now. From a passsenger van it is rather high geared and is good for cruising and speed. I'm not looking to lay long black streaks where ever I go, I just want to get there fast.

Anyway I've still got alot of little things to do to my car, and one of those is to clean up some of these wires. I have a wiring harness coming out of my tranny, and I have no idea what wires do what.

Does anyone have, or know where I can find (prefer on the net), a wiring diagram for my transmition? Is there a park/neutral start wire? Reverse Lights? Are any of these wires some how suposed to be wired into my dizzy or carb? (The Old donor carb has some elec plugs in it) and if so what? Perhaps this is why my kick down don't work, huh? I think all that would make a wiring harness worth.

I can't find a Haynes for the donor motor/tranny, and the GM Truck book I got isn't much help either. SO I turn to thee.

Thanks and ANY help is greatly appreciated.

-T

Guest tony78_280z

I don't have an overdrive (At least I'm pretty sure) so I'm wondering if you sent me to the correct webpage. The wiring kits described on that webpage discuss things like computer controled transmitions, and disengaging the torc converter when in 4th. And I can find no information on that page about the kickdown, revers lights and stuff.

And of course, the one "kit" style described on the page that I might get some good wiring diagram and installation info off of (the Brake switch style wiring kit") is a dead link. If anyone has this wiring diagram please send it to me.

Good info though, just not enough.

Any more ideas where I can get a good wiring diagram??

=(

-T

Tony...

I have it at home, I think. I'll scan it tonight and try to post it. The 700R4 has no provision for back-up lights/ neutral safety, that is on the shifter. Kick down is controlled by the TV cable (throttle valve cable). I used a shifter from a '94 Camaro. This has the back-up light/neutral safety switch incorperated.

Guest tony78_280z

Thanks.

So I need a shifter lever from a 94 camero =) Right now I have a rod goin strait into the tranny. How much did you pay for your shifter at the junkyard? Did you have to specificaly request all the fixins and trimmins? I don't supose you could give me some hook up information and diagrams? Even hand drawn would be helpful.

So kickdown and shifting stuff is solely the throtle valve cable? What are all the other wires hanging out of my tranny? Wonder what they do...

I REALY need that wiring diagram. Please post asap.

My Ol Z backup wires are still hanging down, I might just put a switch in it for now. I should put some rear facing fog lights on my back bumper and hook it up too... That way I can flash those guys tailgating me. =)

Thanks

A shifter from any late 80's, early 90's Camaro should work. The switch is incorperated into it. I got my shifter on Ebay for $6.00. It came with the connector/portion of the wire harness and shifter cable. You will have to change the lever on the transmission from the mechanical linkage type to the cable linkage type. That can be had from the junk yard, or I bought new from the dealer (they're cheap). The wires from the transmission are for the lock-up torque convertor

Guest tony78_280z

Ok, I figured it out. You have given me the wrong wiring diagram. I'm interested in the wiring diagram for the "GM Plunger Style Brake light switch kit" I'm picturing a plunger switch mounted to the brake pedal that when the brake is released closes the circuit and gives power to the lock out. When the brake pedal is pressed it opens the circuit cutting out the power. Sounds do able right?

Please also answer my questions in my post above. Suchas..

How do I verify that I have a 700r4? Is it an overdrive tranny and how many gears do I have? Is the 3rd considered and overdrive? Or do I have 4?

I believe that my Holley carb already has the GM TV Cable hook ups on it, and I have amanifold bracket for the TV Cable. I just need to set it properly. Any advice?

[Now you might ask "Tony, how come I have TV cable problems when the tranny and motor came out, and went in together as a unit?" (I've never seperated them) Well, lets just say the cable was accidentaly cut.]

Please also answer my questions in my post above. Suchas..

How do I verify that I have a 700r4? Is it an overdrive tranny and how many gears do I have? Is the 3rd considered and overdrive? Or do I have 4?

Do some of your own research. Do some internet searches and find some pictures of different GM trannies and compare with yours. The pans are usually very indentifiable.

By typing "GM transmission identification" in google, I came up with this:

http://www.nastyz28.com/transid.html

There is a lot of info out there.....just a bit of effort on your part is required, instead of being spoon fed.

Guest tony78_280z

"There is a lot of info out there.....just a bit of effort on your part is required, instead of being spoon fed."

??

I spent quite a bit of time searching before posting here (Why wait for a reply when I could possibly find the info quicker?) I used the terms "700r4, GMC, Vandura, diagram" in various combinations in a few search engines. I found lots of information, but nothing that would answer my specific questions. The biggest problem with search engines is picking the correct words to use. Some of us aren't as skilled as others at searching. YOU could make the assumption that I tried to find the info before posting my questions here, and I don't need a rude response.

I thought the purpose to this webpage was the sharing of advice and information. If you feel my question is beneath you then don't respond.

Because of the problems associated with the early 700R4's a lot of them were replaced with Turbo 350's and 400's. Could it be possible that your trans is one of those? Check to see if your trans has a vacuum modulater. If it does it is an earlier model. If you do have a 700R4 the early ones only had wiring for the lock-up torque converter. If the lock-up function is not an issue then just ignore the wiring. The trans will work just fine. If you want "lock-up" then you will have to wire in the computer that came with the donner vehicle. The issue of a properly adjusted TV cable is VERY important. Do it right or you will destroy the trans.

Guest tony78_280z

Ok, I have a square tranny pan with a corner cut out. From that discription I have the THM350

THM350 - Medium duty 3 speed trans used from 1969 to 1989, Used in Buick, Olds, Pontiac and Chevrolet cars and Chevy & GMC light trucks until 1987. Generally used in straight and V6 and small block engines. Generally able to handle up to 400 foot pounds of torque.

Any info on this tranny type is welcome.

It does have a vacuum line to it, and it has two plugs in it. One (the torc converter I think by the pics I've found) has four pins in it. the other... i didn't look at close enough. I'm currently in the process of figurin wich of the pins in the plug is the torc converter lock up. i'm gonna run a toggle switch to it that will lock up when I want it. Someone posted something about that.

Everyone from day one has been telling me about hooking up the TV cable properly or blah blah... but nobody can tell me HOW. Best I can find is you hook it all up except the carb side. Push the cable in as far as it'll go into the tranny then fasten it to the carb there. and hopefully it gets enough travel. My car does have the TV hook up, but my cable doesn't fit exactly. ANY ADVICE ON THIS ISSUE IS GREATLY DESIRED!!!

-Thanks