HybridZ

starting a game plan: 73' all stock z, motor build discussion 101

Guest 73Turbo240z

Guest 73Turbo240z

Alright, i've put my volvo up for sale, and i'm starting to emerse myself in datsun history so i can start boning up on what came in which models and yadda yadda yadda...

the project is as my sig shows, a 73' 240z, it's all stock, hasn't been driven in the better part of 2 decades. the game plan currently is this, appearance changes will be minimal, stock appearance or close to stock will be maintained for sleeper factor. Suspension will be "refreshed" with an undecided combo, rear brakes will be converted to disc from there current drum, all lines will go stainless, front brakes i'm torn between OEM refreshing or diggin up aftermarket rotors and a more aggressive compound pad.

Now here is where i come to you guys for help/suggestions. This car will not be a "race car". Were building a different volvo that will be doing are 1/4 challenges for us. This car will be primarily a show piece for work quality, my pleasure car/restoration for my deceased dad, and it will also be our highway and occasional drift entry car. The only thing we will really take serious as far as competition goes will be the highway runs, our volvo won't be cut out to take challenges there, so the Z will be covering that sector.

With that in mind, i come to those who know the variety of Z motor/tranny parts better than myself. I need suggestions on what combos would be optimal for the following:

1. car must retain a manual transmission, 5spd or 6spd would be preferable.

2. car will be a turbo car, would like to pull from the datsun parts bin, so no RB's/SR's/Etc... this will be a datsun motor in the car...

3. we'd like the car to go mid 12's if affordably possible, all depends on what the avg cost to go that fast is.

So, what tranny / block / head combos would be a good base for this, and what parts shouldn't be bothered with in OEM, and what would a good aftermarket offering be for forementioned parts.

This is just a attempt to start getting my feet wet in datsun 101, so don't be afraid to write a novel if you feel like it. I really need the info, plus learning a thing or 2 wouldn't kill me.

Search, search, search. Your path has been blazed by hundreds of folks here on this site.

My suggestions:

1. N42 or F54 block - at the power levels (anything under 400hp) you're thinking about either one is fine and I would use which ever block I could find the cheapest.

2. N42 or P90 head - for the same reasons as above.

3. Any of the Nissan 5 speed transmissions will work for your application.

Guest 73Turbo240z
Search' date=' search, search. Your path has been blazed by hundreds of folks here on this site.

My suggestions:

1. N42 or F54 block - at the power levels (anything under 400hp) you're thinking about either one is fine and I would use which ever block I could find the cheapest.

2. N42 or P90 head - for the same reasons as above.

3. Any of the Nissan 5 speed transmissions will work for your application.[/quote']

awesome, thanks for the suggestions

Along with the brake upgrades, I'd say get some 'sloted mags' and decent tires on it. (slots would keep the 'look' original, but be wider/lighter than stock stelies and caps) If you're planing on runing high speed's on the highway, I'd think about getting a front air dam as well. Motor wise, I'd look for a good running 280zx turbo w/5 speed and drop the whole driveline/electrical in.. big IC, some kind of boost control (manual is cheep..) bigger down pipe and exhast, and you should be ready to rock.. You may want to upgrade the rear end to an R200 however (posibly with a limited slip) ... dono how long the R180 peg leg will hold out with the turbo motor pounding it.. :)