HybridZ

MAF voltage to AFM voltage Black Box ????

Guest indy_84maxima

Guest indy_84maxima

It appears that the Air Flow Meter on my 1984 Maxima has gone bad. Taking a closer look, I noticed that there is a major restriction where the air passes thru the flapper door.

Rather than simply replacing my flapper door AFM, I would like to get rid of this restriction of air flow. Besides, I would imagine there are better ways to measure air flow than my current AFM.

I have an in-line six 2.4L engine. My guess is that it shares some similarities with your 280ZX's. What have you folks done to get around the problems associated with the flapper door AFM's.

1) Swap electronics from my AFM onto a better AFM unit (from maybe Volvo or Toyota)???

2) Develop a black box that translates the voltage from an electronic MAF unit into a voltage that my factory CPM can understand.

3) Any other ideas???

Welcome to the forum, and I'll be the first to tell you; Search! :lol: Although it seams the search may not be working properly.. or posts are missing as of late.. Anyway, I havn't done the mod, but there is extencive info somewhere on this site on swaping a (I think) 300zx Mass Air Sensor in place of the 'flapometer' AFM. A few folks have done it here as far as I know, and it works well from what I've heard. Not a drop in, but with a little electrical re-wiring it's quite posible.

Guest 2slo4u

It works and works well. Do some searching. There is an article specifically explaining how to do it and there are several helpful folks on this site with tons of experience and patience. Have fun.

Guest indy_84maxima

Installing a larger AFM unit from a Toyota Cressida

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/afm/sizeupgrade/index.html

Ok, this is a step by step guide to swap the electronics from our AFM onto a larger Bosch-style AFM

Adapting a 1984 300zx turbo/Z31 MAF and ECU to a 1983 280ZXT harness:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=91250

This is nice, except that I would like to keep my factory ECU and injectors.

Any other ideas???

I would guess that the Z31 MAF has the capacity to measure more air than our old flapper door AFM. I would guess that a Z31 MAF puts out a signal between 1 and 5 volts, just like our flapper AFM. However, the Z31 MAF producing a signal of 2.5 volts would be equivalent to our flapper AFM producing a signal of 4.5 volts. Again, this is just a wild-hair guess. Has anyone tried to install a Z31 MAF and use an Apexi S-AFC (also SFC Hyper R) to raise MAF signal voltage?

This is a interesting subject, what I have always wanted to see is some sort of "black box" that allows use a MAP sensor on a 280/300zx ecu. Basically the box would take the readings from the MAP and convert them into a language that the stock ecu can understand and feed it right back into the MAF/AFM plug. The reason I would like to go to a MAP is it is smaller and would simplify air intake routing especially when using a intercooler. Other than that I think the easiest thing for Indy to do would be a maf swap which would have to include..

85-89 maxima ECU

any Vg30 CAS

Vg30 maf

82/83 280zx turbo wiring harness

260cc injectors

Quite a list and unless you got a smokin deal somewhere it would add up to alot of $$ Of course with all that I'm sure you would notice a improvement in the car's drivabilty, response, and even mileage.

http://zhome.com/~aktar/mafz/ as some of the projects on this site, I did not finish this, but I did collect a lot of interesting information. The MAF uses a higher voltage output, and the voltage output is the oposite of the AFM door type. The AFM has a very linear output while the MAF was more exponential (curved).

I did make this black box, but found that it was not as flexable as I would have liked, and a large reason behind this was the flexability. If anyone else would like to get started I can help. It will likely take a small processor and a few anolog to digital converters, along with digital to analog converters. 2 of each I would expect (1 for each flow meter, and 1 for each differnt type of temp sensor). I used a PIC Micro processor, it seemed quick enough for the small task.

The reason this will not work well for different sized injectors is because the injector pulse rate is directly connected with the timing change. However, in a stock configuration I expect a small amount of adjustment to be okay, and the conversion to MAF would be helpfull.

On the other hand, many people have made loads of power with the stock flapper door type AFM's. I do understand their weeknesses, but you could optionally look for power gains else where. When they are functioning correctly they do their job as they were designed.

Guest indy_84maxima

Anyone have any bad experience with this company?

http://www.pro-flow.com/

Pro-M Racing, home of the only truly calibrated mass-air meter, puts the power of horsepower right into your hands! ...We believe that an educated customer is a great customer.

At Pro-M Racing, we stand behind our products. We offer a 30-day money back guarantee, for all materials and workmanship. We have several contact numbers available to you, and you can email us 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Our goal is to provide you with the best customer care available.

http://pro-flow.com/Import/import%20front.htm

Pro-M converts any type of import meter to our hot wire anemometer Mass Airflow meter technology; providing analog, frequency or linear output. Loan us your meter and air filter assembly for one to two weeks, and we will return the assembly to you along with a custom unit tailored for your car. Drive and compare the results. If you are not completely satisfied, we will refund your money. We offer an industry exclusive 30-day money-back guarantee.

Our custom electronics takes the input voltage from the mass air meter and converts the output to work with your cars’ computer. The hot wire anemometer mass air meter is the most efficient on the market. We help add power through this conversion because we allow your engine to breathe easier by flowing more air, and improve throttle response by eliminating the flapper door. You can now resize your injectors for added horsepower, because unlike the Vane Meter that you would replace, our Mass Air meters are re-scaleable, allowing your car to adapt to performance changes.

http://www.pro-flow.com/Import/Import.htm

Pro-M replaces Flapper Door-Type

In addition, we can custom calibrate your meter, your way as needed to compensate for cold air kits, superchargers, turbochargers, ect. All meters are adjustable at idle and WOT allowing for fine-tuning and are scaleable for larger injector sizes.