HybridZ

You Have To See This Z!!!

Guest jjohart

Guest jjohart

I was hoping someone would tell me a little about this car's engine, etc, like is it a joke? What in god's name was someone thinking? What is this engine from, an airplane or a power plant? What good is it? Sure is ugly, but brute force ugly, in'it? Would anyone try to speculate what the owner/designer/builder/driver was thinking?!!? I am too serious to contact the auctioneer myself, as I am still thinking it is a bit of a joke, like hoverboards!!!!

John-83 280ZXT, car still stalls below 2,000rpm, maybe this is an option!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6187&item=4516977644&rd=1

Guest jjohart

Right, but with that turbine stuff, was this really a "turbine" powered car, like those built in experimental Chrysler passenger sedans in the early 60's, supposedly the "endless torquer" vehicles of the future that never got sold to the public b/c of either bad mpg or Detroit holding back from innovation in favor of regular engines? OR, was this Z equipped car never likely to have had those turbine fittings and be able to be used upon a public roadway, more like the Bonneville Salt Flats speed record setters? What about the "torque converter" this guy says is still attatched from the turbine, that he says works as a transmission (since he obviously blew up the original tranny!!)? Sounds like the transmission set up is akin to a mouse wheel attached to a 747 exhaust port, no?

Thanks

John-no way, man, I ain't bidding!

YES this is a Turbine powered car! I know there's a video of it floating around here somewhere. The engine used in this car is an Allison Turboshaft engine meaning the turbine turns a shaft, this is usually used in Helicopters to turn the rotors, but in this case it's used to turn the wheels. The way he says he had it setup is a little confusing because I dont know how you could throw a turbine on the front of a standard tranny, turbines usually Idle around 50,000rpm!! but now that I think of it, the engine has its own gearbox so that might solve most of it. but if I was you I'd get a tranny behind it quick, cruising the streets with only one gear wouldn't be all that fun. and DO NOT get this car because it'll make a good drag car, because it Wont! Turbines dont like throttle changes, they are even worse than diesels! So if you want to get beat off the line by semi tractors on a regular basis be my guest! and if your curious about how he's had the tranny setup for "the last 1500 miles" Look up Tuboshaft engines and pay close attention to the "Free Turbine" this is the torque converter part he's talking about, I suppose in theory it could work the same but I wouldn't try it. It just sounds like an expensive rebuild on a Very expensive engine, Turbine maintenance aint cheap, even if you know where to get parts! Also bear in mind that a turbine powered car while it Can run on diesel and regular gas, it wont perform for crap! so you need to fill up at the Local Airport with Jet A, Jet A-1, or Jet B. Last I checked it was around $3 per gallon!! Maybe that's why this guy is getting rid of it? Think through this carefully before diving in. well I started with two cents and ended up giving you a whole dollar! sorry for rambling so much.

It's been a while since I've viewed one of these, but the two cylindrical tubes that angle out of the hood are the exhausts, correct? I'd think this would make it hard to see through (the heat gas diffraction) to drive. One thing for sure, high altitude ain't gonna bother this one.

The engine has an geartrain from the free turbine. I'm trying to remember, pretty sure that the output shaft speed on the 250-C20B is 6600 rpm at 100% N2 (free turbine) speed. Been quite a while since I've worked on a Bell Jet Ranger or Hughes 500. Used in all sorts of helicopters and fixed-wings also. Makes around 420 hp in an aircraft. Jay Leno has the same engine in a bike. It would work with the power turbine direct-coupled to the driveshaft, but top speed would only be around 135 mph with direct drive. That's at 100% rated turbine speed and you wouldn't want to run it faster than that - I think that 113% is structural limit on the 250 series, meaning the the turbine comes apart. The 250 series runs fine on 1/3 non-lead gas and 2/3 diesel. It burns around 270 pounds per hour (38 gallons). Parts are not too bad, as the engine was originally designed as a disposible engine for the military. Timed-out parts are pretty cheap as are non-salvageable complete engines. A friend of mine has one in a jet-boat.

If you think that this is cool - think about the unlimited hydroplanes - 2200 hp T55 Lycoming (Chinook engine) - that's some serious horsepower. Burns over 3 barrels an hour.

Doug

Jay Leno says driving a turbine engine motorcycle is interesting, because throttle changes take over a second to do anything. He said if you hammer it, you wait, and then HOLY CRAP! The problem is on the other end... if you want to slow down, you still wait.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the video downloaded and to be honest I wasnt impressed with the acceleration or topspeed of it. REALLYYYYYYYYY slow off the line and 135 isnt too impressive considering is got a turbine engine! 135 is easy with a SBC and a lot cheaper! Dont get me wrong the fabrication is impressive! Just not bang for your buck if you ask me.

Guy

Guy

I'll throw some facts out about that engine from my shool book. the power turbine section turs at 30,650 rpm's at 100% and the compressor turns about 51,000 rpm's at 100%. the ouput pad on the gearbox turns at 6,000 rpm's. it produces about 650 shaft hp and weighs 235 lbs dry. the max stabilized turbine operating temprature is 768º C. it's also got quite a few cut-away's and breakdowns of the engine. A variation of it is still used in the OH-58 helicopters in the army.