HybridZ

Help: Stuck Cylinder Head

Guest steve280z

Guest steve280z

'78 280z. In attempting to remove cylinder head, one bolt sheared off at top of head. Bolt is located between cylinders 3&4 on manifold side. It was one of the longer bolts which goes through the cam tower. I removed the tower to get better access. I have already tried to back it out with drill out set -no go. Head lifts up 1/4" on passenger side, but will not budge on the other. I have been lifting up with a hoist, and can literally pick up the front wheels . All other bolts (including the 2 top front cover), and the manifold studs are completely removed. Barrs stop leak was run recently in the coolant. Could this stuff have acted as a cement in gaps/cracks to the extent where it has glued the head to the block?

Even with a broken stud sticking out from the block the head should still slide up and out. Sounds to me like there is corrosion making the head stick to the bolt. Bugger of a problem, but I think in this case your friends would be heat and vibration. Could you try hoisting it up again thus putting alot of upward pressure on the head and start hitting the head with a rubber mallet? Do you have access to a torch? Try heating up the head in the area around the bolt.

Stupid question I know, but are you sure you removed ALL of the bolts? I think there are 14?? of them, plus two small ones up front by the timing cover.

Guest Brian260ZT

Make DOUBLE sure that the two small bolts from the timing chain cover are removed. Those are easy to forget. Give the head a few whacks on the sides (and upwards) with a good rubber mallet to help dislodge it.

Prying will damage it , as will lifting too high on one side.

Good luck!!!

Brian

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

If you already tried to lift it out with a hoist, and had a 1/4" gap on one side, there's a 99.9% chance the head is warped.

Guest steve280z

thanks for the tips. sounds like the head is pretty much toast at this point so I may try some more forcible means of persuasion. and yes, corrosion is definitely a factor as the part of the broken bolt which came out was severely pitted compared to all the others.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

You can still have it resurfaced if it's warped. I would try installing bolts through a chain on the stuck side of the engine and gradually lifting with the hoist and whacking a piece of wood taped to the side of the head with a big hammer.