HybridZ

Schneider Racing Cam?

Fastzdriver

It is MSA part #10-2003

.460 lift 270/280 duration

It`s a nice mid range cam for a basicly stock streetable engine

The next cam will be in the range of .495 lift 290 duration with a bit more motor.

You being in Fredericksburg, you should (if you haven`t already) make contact with Mike Kelly. He lives in Fredericksburg as well

• 1 month later...
Guest DoTheDrew888

The MSA Cam that you just mentioned is actually made by Shcneider. You are about to buy the same cam that he was just telling you is great. I bought one also but have not installed it yet.

I used a 490/280 on the street for years in stop and go traffic with triples and a light flywheel, and no complaints. I think it is now a little small for my current usage. I've seen several people with the 460/270 who almost immediately think they should have gone bigger. The one variable I don't know is FI. If you are running stock FI you should look into the possibility that a larger cam might make it run poorly, not pass smog, etc. If you're running SU's or triples I would suggest the .490 cam. It's not that extreme, and IMO people tend to go too small on the cam in a Z.

I have a mild WEB Cam (.450/260`) for my P90A head. I am just curious how hydraulics will work with a solid cam. I called WEB and they did not know their camshaft was going in this hydraulic head. They did not think it would work. I guess there are not HD camshafts being ground. What were the ZXT camshafts? Lift? Duration?

I did not want a huge camshaft until I know that this set-up will work. It is going on a 2995cc F54/LD28 short block.

Anyone know anything about these heads... Cams?

I've also used Schneider cams in NA engines for years. I've used .460, .480, and .495 lift on the street. My favorite street engine was a .460 lift with the 240 duration on a stock flat top motor with N47. Loads of torque. The .480 and .495 cams tend to suck out a little bottom end torque for higher end HP. Depends on what you like.

Cam change is fine for NA FI engines although may require some fine tuning. Will run rich at idle though. Don't change the cam without some added compression over stock (flat tops, head swaps, etc.) or you will lose more than you gain.

Guest bastaad525

I think the cam I had in my N/A motor was a Schneider... 480 lift, 270 duration. I liked it, it was defiantely still streetable, though you could tell it's priorities were higher in the RPM band than the stocker... it felt like it 'came on' at just about 3000 RPM, from 3000-6000 it pulled very nice. I gained about 15 HP with that cam, torque stayed the same but just moved way up the RPM range when I dynoed it.

To tell the truth though, considering I live in L.A. and had to deal with traffic all the time, there were many times I would have gladly given up the 15 hp for the 2000rpm grunt of the stock cam.

I bought a cam from Elgin, 200 and it was not what I specified, it was close but not quite. I know most of the schnider cams are mid to top end cams, for the most part.

I just had Ron do a cam for me at Isky, and am about to install that part today. 179.76 with shipping to my house.

The thing I like about the Isky cam is that it is basically a grind that was developed by Nissan racing, and electro motive in their hay day.

I am running a turbo application, so we will see how it goes.