HybridZ

Starting My 454 BBC Install.....(pics)

Cable, Do you think you will have your setup up and running for Battle of the Imports in late October.That`s what I am shooting for with the T67 and AEM EMS combo, I look forward to lining up against you.

I should have it running by the end of the month, but not race ready for sometime yet. However, I still might go just to show the car off.

After I get it running I still have to get the following done before racing:

-Get a new dual 3" exhaust bent and installed

-Buy new street tires and drag slicks

-Install my R230 vLSD w/custom Moser axles

-Plumb stock gas tank pickup for 1/2" line

-Mount my Aeromotive fuel pump

-Bend and route 1/2" fuel line for the whole car

-Get a 10 or 12 point chrome-moly cage bend, tig'd, and installed in the car

-Buy and install 5-point harness

Project bbz, what did you use to bond the scoop to hood?

I didn't do the work, I am hardly a body man.

As far as I know he screwed the hood down, then 'glassed it to the steel hood with resin and 'cathair'. Then of course bondo to blend the seems in.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest headshot

will the th350 hold up? my buddies that race sbc/th350 wish they had th400 or a pg...but mostly a th400...then again their racing with 4000lb muscle cars...so...the add strain of the added weight wouldnt be there in a Z

will the th350 hold up? my buddies that race sbc/th350 wish they had th400 or a pg...but mostly a th400...then again their racing with 4000lb muscle cars...so...the add strain of the added weight wouldnt be there in a Z

The TH350 has been rebuild some time ago with added clutches and steels. I just had it checked out while I was having the Trans-Go Stage II Shift-Kit installed. Everything looks good.

You are correct though, weight makes a big difference on tranny strength/life.

If it blows I'll prob have a 2004-R overdrive beefed to the moon and drop it in. I haven't measured it but I would really like to beef up the TH350 and install a Gear-Vendors unit behind it. That would rock!!

The TH350 has been rebuild some time ago with added clutches and steels. I just had it checked out while I was having the Trans-Go Stage II Shift-Kit installed. Everything looks good.

You are correct though' date=' weight makes a big difference on tranny strength/life.

If it blows I'll prob have a 2004-R overdrive beefed to the moon and drop it in. I have measured it but I would really like to beef up the TH350 and install a Gear-Vendors unit behind it. That would rock!![/quote']

That would make for a really short driveshaft.......

• 2 weeks later...

Well its ready to fire but my starter just isn't up to snuff to crank this big boy over. So, I order a high torque mini-starter rated to 18:1 compression.

Hopefully this week.......

Here's the one I bought: Starter

Both my dad and another hot rod buddy have the same starter from the same guys for over 5 years without a problem.

The starter I have now (the weak one) is off a 1997-2000+ 454 Chevy truck from AutoZone. Its a mini-starter too, but just doesn't have enough to crank my 454. The new starter I bought uses the exact same core w/different (better) internals.

Make sure your ground is good and your battery has a full charge.

Brand new battery w/1000 CCA, 0 gauge wires (pos & neg), and grounded to the body.

The current starter doesn't owe me anything, its just an AutoZone rebuild unit intended for stock compression small blocks and mild big blocks, not 10:1 compression 454's.

Plus when my Z was still small block powered, this starter wouldn't/couldn't turn over my 9:1 compression 383 when it was already 180-200 degrees. I thought the starter was getting heat soaked so I added a starter blanket and heat shield. Even then I would have to wait 30-45 mins to start it again. So it doesn't really suprise me that this starter isn't up to snuff.

Very nice!!! Just to let ya know you will feel a little difference in the steering since theres more weight up there. Not really much but its definately noticeable. I really need to swap out my 396 for a 454 block someday as well!!! Cant wait to see the times etc....

Terry

Well I got my starter and fired it up today. Ran it for about 10 mins until I noticed my electric temp gauge hadn't moved (Sport-Comp). I didn't want to risk cooking my new motor so I shut it down. Looks like the gauge is junk. So I am prob going to just bite the bullet and just buy another gauge, but mechanical this time.

The motor sounds good, but I won't breathe easier until I have at least 20-30 total cam break-in time.

Anyway, more pictures:

I still need to cleanup all the useless wires:

Picture_040.jpg

Picture_0422.jpg

Picture_036.jpg

Cable,

Mine is in about the same stage right now with the 408 SBC.

I installed a new B&M shifter but I made a "pan" that dropped the shifter down into the tunnel about 2.5" so that the shifter location was more ergonomic and would come out of the stock console looking near stock.

I need to finish up my wiring, I have to sort out the electric fan and then just loom it all up and put it in convoluted tubing.

Bad part is,

I wanted to do a manual trans when I sold the 200-4R out of the Z. I looked around and no luck so I put the TH350 back in, had to buy the new shifter to do that.

Then I came across a complete ST-10 setup. bellhousing, trans shifter, new Centerforce DF clutch, yoke, flywheel, dust cover, etc for a good deal so bought it.

I've had the trans in and out of the Z 3 times (various trans) and not driven it 5 miles yet and am contemplating doing it again to put the manual in :)

Looks good.