HybridZ

Starting My 454 BBC Install.....(pics)

• 1 month later...

i have just read this entire thread from front to back and i would just like to say that you are an inspiration to people who are beggining their projects. I am only doing a 350 sbc swap, but i still can not wait to start, and even more to finish it. I can't wait to see some time slips and some dyno numbers on your car. Congratulations

Okay, I was able to meet cable at the last CVZ meeting, and lets just say nothing about this car is sleeper. The ground outside shakes, your ears pound, and you've got nasty grin on your face, but you still can't believe its coming from a little 280z.

Hopefully you can make it this weekend Cable, and I'll bring my camera this time.

Tyson

• 3 weeks later...
i have just read this entire thread from front to back and i would just like to say that you are an inspiration to people who are beggining their projects. I am only doing a 350 sbc swap, but i still can not wait to start, and even more to finish it. I can't wait to see some time slips and some dyno numbers on your car. Congratulations

Thank you for your kind words. Just think, this whole project started because someone who has been building custom cars for 30+ years told me, "You can't put a BBC in that thing with cutting it up or motor-plating it."

Seeing is believing and he won't even speak to me now :rolleyes: .

Its like the old saying, never be afraid to try something new:

Professionals build the Titanic.

An Amateur build the Ark.

Okay, I was able to meet cable at the last CVZ meeting, and lets just say nothing about this car is sleeper. The ground outside shakes, your ears pound, and you've got nasty grin on your face, but you still can't believe its coming from a little 280z.

Hopefully you can make it this weekend Cable, and I'll bring my camera this time.

Tyson

Sorry, I have been super busy with work. I should be able to make the meet for December though.

Ok, so you have 1000 miles on the combo, how many rear tires have you burned up? Seriously, how does it run/drive/steer/scare the neighbors, etc.? And, where are those pics/videos?

Just replaced the tires after the cords started showing on the rear tires. I went with 215/70/14's on my stock 'Iron Cross' rims. They are taller and wider than the 195/60/14's they replaced. The car is higher now and rides much better. Of course the added contact patch is improved as well.

As far as the neighbors, most are pretty cool about it. They seems to come over while I am working on it......

I don't have a video camera, but it you guys want more pics, I can do that. What do you want shots of?

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys, you might have to wait for those pics. I think the front pump or my converter in my TH350 just died.....

I am sure it will be weeks before I'll get around to yanking the motor/trans and have a tranny shop replace the pump, then finding time to put everything back together.

Oh the joy!!

This is probably the most awesome Z pic I've seen yet. THis is a pic that will make chevy lovers cringe, as you can't fit one of these in a Chevy II.

My one shipmate is probably gonna turn green with jealousy and rip the printouts up because he believes in driving chevrolet cars with chevy motors and he'll be pissed cuz a Z accepts a BBC better than most chevrolets.

Straight up awesome.

Makes me want to sell my L28ET that I barely got in.

I DID get a great deal on the L28ET though.

The coolest thing about this is that If I were to do this swap someday, when I'm back in Pennsylvania, that I could use my Megasquirt for fuel management and I can keep the stock hood!

Yup it'll be loud as hell but it's loud as hell right now (no exhaust) just not as rumbly.

So it wouldn't be any LESS of a sleeper (than a unmuffled turbo is)

I am kissing the ground in front of those pics right now. Awesome!

As one BBZ owner to another - what makes this project so cool is its bolt-in nature. While it's not quite a "kit" the clean install without extensive cutting/welding/re-engineering is very impressive.

BBCs have a rumble all their own, even with quiet exhaust. I have a relatively tame mechanical roller cam, and even that thing causes the car to growl without having to raise its voice.

The challenge is doing these engines justice; good tuning, good choices of fuel and ignition management. But that would be true whether one had a Chevelle with a BBC or a Datsun.

This is probably the most awesome Z pic I've seen yet. THis is a pic that will make chevy lovers cringe, as you can't fit one of these in a Chevy II.

My one shipmate is probably gonna turn green with jealousy and rip the printouts up because he believes in driving chevrolet cars with chevy motors and he'll be pissed cuz a Z accepts a BBC better than most chevrolets.

Straight up awesome.

Makes me want to sell my L28ET that I barely got in.

I DID get a great deal on the L28ET though.

The coolest thing about this is that If I were to do this swap someday, when I'm back in Pennsylvania, that I could use my Megasquirt for fuel management and I can keep the stock hood!

Yup it'll be loud as hell but it's loud as hell right now (no exhaust) just not as rumbly.

So it wouldn't be any LESS of a sleeper (than a unmuffled turbo is)

I am kissing the ground in front of those pics right now. Awesome!

Thank you for your kind words. You can put a BBC in a '62-'67 Chevy II, it just requires fenderwell headers or a complete sub-frame swap. I would think that your shipmate would be more accepting of a Chevy motor into an import instead of an import motor into a Chevy.

Thanks again.

I look forward to lining up against your car this spring/summer.Nothing wrong with an L series turbo motors, you just have to run a big enough turbo.I still want a ride.....

You'll get your ride Gary, no worries. I just gotta get a few things worked out first.....

As one BBZ owner to another - what makes this project so cool is its bolt-in nature. While it's not quite a "kit" the clean install without extensive cutting/welding/re-engineering is very impressive.

BBCs have a rumble all their own, even with quiet exhaust. I have a relatively tame mechanical roller cam, and even that thing causes the car to growl without having to raise its voice.

The challenge is doing these engines justice; good tuning, good choices of fuel and ignition management. But that would be true whether one had a Chevelle with a BBC or a Datsun.

Agreed, especially about the tuning part. I bet I am leaving at least 50 hp on the table rioght now because of the little tuning I've done. I still need to upgrade my fuel system, including a larger carb. I also want to play around with a few timing curves, although I am seriously thinking of running locked-out timing in the 32*-36* range. It will be one less thing to worry about. Then I'll need to invest in a decent converter. The one I am running now is a no-name 10" and my rough math is telling me that the converter is slipping about 12-15% on top end. It doesn't owe me anything, I picked it up for free and it would be fine if I had 350 ft or torque instead of 500+.

A good converter from a good company like ATI or Coan will only slip 5-7% on a bad day with hot ATF.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, well my torque converter died and I am replacing it this weekend.

The new piece is a low end ATI unit. While its not ideal for drag racing, it will serve me well until I figuire out if I am going to go through all the trouble (and cost) of upgrading to an overdrive trans like a built 2004-R or 4L80.

Cable,

I have a 4L80E core on hand and am doing a couple right now for Team Chevelle guys. One is a full manual valve body setup and the other is electronic.

It is hard to beat the 4L80 for pure strenght. I'll do an online buildup article when I get caught up in the shop. I've got to go unload the car lift I bought today so I can start installation of it.

The 200-4Rs would do OK in a Z car, the light weight makes the trans live longer.

• 1 month later...

-Plumb stock gas tank pickup for 1/2" line

I just replaced all my fuel lines back there for the cross country Z trip I just did, and I'm quite postive that the stock EFI fuel pickup is 1/2". (or so) I used 1/2" line on it....the feed to the stock pump is HUGE...just the lines after the pump are tiny 5/16"....at least that's how my '78 is...

• 1 month later...
Cable,

I have a 4L80E core on hand and am doing a couple right now for Team Chevelle guys. One is a full manual valve body setup and the other is electronic.

It is hard to beat the 4L80 for pure strenght. I'll do an online buildup article when I get caught up in the shop. I've got to go unload the car lift I bought today so I can start installation of it.

The 200-4Rs would do OK in a Z car, the light weight makes the trans live longer.

Looks like I will prob try out a 2004-R with some of the more critical upgrades.

I think I posted a question about which parts I need over at TC.

I have just read this thread for the first time...I'm still sitting here with my head in my hands. I have swapped out small blocks for big blocks in all kinds of Chevy's over the years. It is pretty much a bolt in operation. If a sbc fits, most generally a bbc will bolt in. I've been trying to figure out how to mount turbos or go LS1 in my 77. I don't know why a fat block never entered my mind. Boy, do I feel like a dweeb. I have raced bbc's for years and have a pile of parts all over the garage.....I need a beer. Time to change direction.

• 4 weeks later...