HybridZ

Physics Puzzler

johnc

• 11 months later...

black paint will absorb more heat --> cause the body to expand --> results in less efficient aerodynamic; higher body temp creates a less dense air sheet --> as it expands, it creates force beween the car and air --> resistance.

you won't be able to notice(measure) any difference in speed for different color paints.

what is the body temp of a flying space shuttle?

Okay, I agree with the air density argument on a theoretical basis but I think the black car would still be slower. Becuase the black will soak up more heat you will have hotter temps in your engine bay. I feel that the effect of the hotter intake charge will greatly outway the gains associated with the SLTD. A engine block that is surrounded by air that is five degrees warmer is not as big a deal as an aircleaner surrounded by the same air...

Guest Your Car is Slow

Actually..I think its the opposite.

Black paint contains more pigment than white paint..and hence weighs more...thus slowing the car down.

(Hey dont laugh TOO much :D ...There is a reason John Force's car is white...apparently the paint weighs a few grams less than black paint) :)

Actually that is false.

White paint is the heaviest (per unit) of all paints. It is also the poorest of hiders. White requires more paint to cover the car than black, which is one of the best hiders. (not referencing seeing dents in bodywork etc)

The black car if identical to the white car, will weigh less..add this to the thermo theories, and now you got a car that is .00000005% faster.

hehe

What if you turn up the heater.

I just read someone explaining that a hot car has less friction. But then again I also read above that a hot car is bigger thus more drag. hmm....

even so in the winter if you want to up your cars eficiency just turn up the heater. This will instantly raise the efficienty of your engine.

efficiency = usefull energy/total energy*100

:)

no no no, you guys have completely missed the original point…

dark is faster than light (proof: open a desk drawer slowly; first its interior is dark, but eventually it gets lighter, until finally you can see the contents; therefore, dark is faster than light). So the dark car will be faster than the light car.

Also, if you use a supercarburetor with cold fusion, you will get 250 mpg and the exhaust will consist of pure water. A further modification, especially common in the Southeast, features a special exhaust catalyst that converts the exhaust water into alcohol, which can be plumbed back into the cabin, assisting the driver.

But keep in mind that the 250 mpg figure is for the black car. The white car will only get maybe 240 mpg, unless more exhaust is diverted into the cabin.

Also, if you use a supercarburetor with cold fusion, you will get 250 mpg and the exhaust will consist of pure water. A further modification, especially common in the Southeast, features a special exhaust catalyst that converts the exhaust water into alcohol, which can be plumbed back into the cabin, assisting the driver.

If the car is a lemon........... do you get lemonaide? :D