HybridZ

RB Motor Mount Options

Stealth-Z

Here are some photos of different mounts I have come across.

rb1.jpg

rb2.jpg

The mounts on the left were made by Brad D. The ones on the right were made by Castlemaine Rod Shop in Australia. There part number is

EM81 3 Litre Turbo RB30 To Datsun 260Z

http://www.rodshop.com.au/mounts.htm

I have not noticed any difference between the RB series block mounting points. The RB20 and RB30 blocks I have both line up the same. From the photos you can see the Castlemaine mounts position the motor about an inch lower.

Brad D was selling mounts at one time for $100.00US. The Castlemaine versions are around $150 Australian. I purchased them from a guy that mistakenly bought them for his Skyline.

• 1 year later...

Instead of creating a new thread, might as well use this one I created a while ago. My RB30 is still in the machine shop being balanced. So I got tired of not being able to do anything with the mount situation. Below are photos of the Castlemaine Rod Shops motor mounts using a RB20 block mated to the RB25 trans.

castlemaine_front.jpg

castlemaine_l-side.jpg

castlemaine_r-side.jpg

castlemaine_firewall.jpg

castlemaine_interior.jpg

The transmission shifter location is right on target.

castlemaine_trans.jpg

Still need to fabricate some new "Ears" using the original Z trans mount. I had to cut out the original factory setup.

Off topic, but who's doing your engine work?

Cascar Machine Shop. http://www.cascarmachine.com/

They are on 47th Ave.

I see the engine is tilting slightly to the right. Is that standard?

Anyone tryed to tilt it to the left to get more room for turbo or anything?

The RB motors sit at a tilt just like the L series do.

As for tilting more to the left, I remember reading a thread a while back about putting some spacers in to do it.

hi guys

a friend of mine fabricated a set of mounts for me 4 years ago....before the aussie mounts were available

he originally used the 240/260 rubber mounts but said that the weight/hp of the rb30et was too much for the datsun rubber blocks,as well as the fact that they don't have a failsafe steel locking system incorporated in them

he ended up using the donor engines ones which are the aussie vl commodore

my friend has an engineering background and the mounts he made have worked well......anyone had problems with failure of the rubber mounts with the castlemaine kit

might as well know before you use them

cheers

paul

WA

Hi Paul' date=' are you suggesting I should use the VL Commodore mounts rather than standard 240Z ones with the Castlemaine brackets?

regards Mike[/quote']

g'day mike

it's a while since my conversion was done,have a look at the commodore mounts compared to the stock Z mount....if they look interchangeable i'd go with the commodore one as it is designed to handle the rb turbo's torque

failing that have a look at my car when you get time

regards

paul

ps i drove my silver Z round to your place last saturday arvo,you were obviously out

g'day mike

it's a while since my conversion was done' date='have a look at the commodore mounts compared to the stock Z mount....if they look interchangeable i'd go with the commodore one as it is designed to handle the rb turbo's torque

failing that have a look at my car when you get time

regards

paul

ps i drove my silver Z round to your place last saturday arvo,you were obviously out[/quote']

thanks Paul, will do

regards Mike

• 5 months later...

Following on from the previous posts. I'm looking for mounts to install an RB25DET into a 240Z and have seen three possible options - sets supplied by Shouri Motorsport, Arizona Z and McKinney Motorsports. Not too sure which one to go for - is one better than the other two or is there another one I haven't seen which is better still ? I notice that McKinney also supply the transmission mount which would make installation easier I guess. Your feedback would be appreciated as I want to order them soon. Thanks.

Following on from the previous posts. I'm looking for mounts to install an RB25DET into a 240Z and have seen three possible options - sets supplied by Shouri Motorsport, Arizona Z and McKinney Motorsports. Not too sure which one to go for - is one better than the other two or is there another one I haven't seen which is better still ? I notice that McKinney also supply the transmission mount which would make installation easier I guess. Your feedback would be appreciated as I want to order them soon. Thanks.

look for ricky wong or 240z master "Q". this guys have excellent products and for way better price.

question...

why are the mounts pictured in the first post both using a plate steel fabricated part, as well as a bar stock fabricated part.

why not both of one, or both of the other?

any reason?

or are they actually paired vertically rather than horizontally.?

The left (upper and lower) are from one maker, and the right (upper and lower) are from another....

question...

why are the mounts pictured in the first post both using a plate steel fabricated part, as well as a bar stock fabricated part.

why not both of one, or both of the other?

any reason?

or are they actually paired vertically rather than horizontally.?