HybridZ

flames from tailpipe?

Guest bang847

Guest bang847

i guess this is sort of a tech question...

but how do they do that?

I have seen many jap videos of drifters that have tailpipes that light up...

anyone knows why/how?

(i dont want to do this but i was just wondering...)

turbo spooling dumping a lot of fuel that ignites in the exhaust pipe

rotary engines are inefficient fuel burners and at high rpms dump excess unused gas into the exhaust when you let off the gas, where it ignites and creates a back fire

you can also wire in a sparkplug smile.gif

My near stock 240 will backfire and throw flame out the tailpipe if I accelerate hard then let off the gas quickly. But mine is caused by headers and free flow exhaust interacting with the smog pump.

It's funny too because I can predict when the backfire will occur. The smog pump A/B valve diverts into the intake manifold. So when I first let off, the car coasts with no engine back pressure. Then as the A/B valve starts to close to redirect the smog pump into the exhaust, you can feel the car start to decelerate. One or two seconds later and BAM, backfire with flame/sparks flying out the tailpipe. I use to bring traffic to a complete stop inside the Sepulveda tunnel. People must have thought it was a drive by.

Guest Aaron

My dad wants to do that on his '49 Pontiac, and I think we are going to rig up a fuel pump, injector, coil, and spark plug at the tail pipes so he has push button flames.

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by zfan:

Lots of BEANS nono.gif Oops did not know you were talking about cars, but seriously beans work good on my tail pipe eek2.gif

Mike

Ah, a blue flame club member huh? tongue.gif

Guest Anonymous

My stock 79 280zx does this sometimes when I am floored, and as soon as I let off the throttle to shift my friends tell me there is a flash in the end of my tailpipe, only visible at night. My favorite part is that the exhaust is like a stock system, in that the muffler is tucked under the drivers side, then it routes across to the passenger side and does a 90 degree turn to come straight out the back, and you can STILL see it flash!

Just my .02, I thought it was amusing, and my friends all love it.

Guest Anonymous

You may want to check the lowrider type sites and street rod sites. They have components (maybe kits I havn't researched it) like pumps, small tanks and coils and ignitors to do it, I've seen a 49 merc shooting 10' flames at a show before, take that honda riceboy haha...

Regards,

Lone

Ps: Don't let the cops see you do this, or it'll be your butt that looks like it was hit with a 10' flame. :mad:

Guest Anonymous

I'm not sure a cop would ticket you for that, but thats a far cry from shooting a controlled 10' flame out the back of the car for as long as you like. They frown on that road warrior stuff.

Regards,

Lone