HybridZ

Nissan Y40 V8 pics

David K

Can anyone recognize the domestic V8 the Nissan V8 is based on? Id love to know so i can start finding domestic parts for the build.

engine1.jpg

engine2.jpg

This is a FRONT HALF automatic President bellhousing welded to the REAR HALF of a regular Datsun 4-5 speed. I can slip it on and off to any early Z-ZX trans i want.

trans1.jpg

trans2.jpg

Heres the valve cover from the passenger side of the engine.

cover1.jpg

cover2.jpg

Wished I could help as this is one project I'd love to see completed. Can you supply numbers for the bore and stroke? I'm thinking all the reciprocating parts should have a close fit with domestic parts, even with a minor bit of machining (hopefull the crank is in good shape?). Gaskets would seem the be the biggest problem.

Smaller bore than I thought. From the photos it looks like a hybrid (no pun intended) of Ford, Chevy, and Mopar. Throughout the decades that I've done this stuff with cars, I am still amazed at what I've seen in regards to parts from one engine being modified, and then re-used in another make. With the exception of crank, heads, and cam, the odds of finding a piece that will work are pretty good I would think.

Guest Aaron

I believe Q45 pistons are 93mm, so with a 1mm overbore you could use piston/rings from it. I also think there is a Toyota six that has 93mm pistons.

92mm works out to roughly 3.62 inchs. I don't know of a US v8 bore that small, unless some of the newer v8s have them.

I found this, a Ford 6 has the 3.62 inch bore:

"FORD. As with the other two pickups, you have a choice of a six or V8 engine in the Ford pickup line. The overhead valve six is even smaller than the Dodge with only 223 cubic inches. The bore is 3.62 inches, the stroke is 3.60 inches, compression ratio 8.3 to 1 and the horse power is 139."

http://www.docmo.net/dodgepowergiants/0300/ddpg0310.htm

Here is also a old Ford V8 with that bore:

"The little brother of these power mills is a 190-horse V8 that's used in the Custom and Custom "300" series. It's The smallest V8, being 272 cubic-inch, with 3.62 bore and 3.30 stroke. Compression ratio is 8.6 to 1. A double-barrel carb is used."

http://www.1957ford.com/history/history3.htm

Toyota is a good call, I was going to suggest over bored 18r pistons as the stroke is closer. It does have a hemi head though so probably wont work to well. Also have a look at pistons for the rover v8. I think the ones for the 4.0 engine will be close. I am surprised that the engine isnt based on the existing 4 cylinders like the L20.

Douglas

ive been running a y44 nissan v8 for about 12 years now runs fine neat fit in engine bay

on pulling a y40 apart we found they well made 4 bolt mains valve guides 4 barrell manifold but never found anyone who hotted one up or made parts for them interestingly the nissan 6 cyl flywheel bolts up to the crank

had my fun motors getting tried now really luv to upgrade to the twin cam 4.5 but think ill be going lt1 or Ls1 way

mick

heaps of pics tell me what youd like to see in spefic will add to my gallery

only been to full drag strip once long time ago ran 14.9 sec car is much quicker than that but never been back to try again

have done many club days at local race track and hillclimbs car is competive with v8s and turbo 4s and turbo 6s (think the driver holds it back a little)

now running holley 600 double pumper bolts straight on to manifold though i did us a spacer to lift it up an inch made my own extractors though will fit with std manifolds

mick

92 mm is a very common and popular VW bore. Aircooled FORGED flat-top pistons are CHEAP for them, with rings. So are 94mm Bore. You would have to check pin height, as they can be ordered with a VERY big range of heights for the different rod combos people use in the VW powerplant.

But Cima, Mahle, etc all make pistons for the VW in those bores, along withthe spun-cast barrels which you would probably trash.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest nikko74z

I have this exact motor sitting on a stand. I took this thing to a local machine shop that has put together several l-28's for me and he told me the valve train loooked like a ford set up. He told me that with a little work, I could have a roller set up using roller lifters, rocker arms, etc. The cam would have to be made. MSD will build a distributor for it. They said send them the stock one and they will do the rest. I have everything except that. I was leaning towards an distributorless system as a result. I am debating on putting it together with a turbo or the 350 with AFR's I have laying around. I will be starting on 1 or the other in July.

Wasn't that basic engine turbocharged and raced in the US in 280ZX's?

I'm sure I've seen an article on it in the long gone Z car magazine, whatever it was called. Recall some comment that the engine had a mix of Ford and Chevrolet features.

Ive decided what im doing with this motor. Im rebuilding it using forged pistons and rods. Im having the crank machined and cryo treated. Ill have some head work done with full roller setup as nikko mentioned. Im going to send the exhaust manifolds out to be coated. Im ditching the carb for a camaro TBI setup, thats going to be managed by Megasquirt. The manifolds are able to switch sides letting the exhaust run to the front of the engine. There in going to run both manifolds into a big turbo, or choose to run twins. If i run twins i will route the exhaust into one 3" pipe and run it down the stock exhaust location. Im looking for 350-400 hp with redline around 6k, possibly more without me planning for it.

Nikko did you get any pics of your motor?