HybridZ

Nissan Y40 V8 pics

David K

3 to 400 HP from a 4 liter engine can easily be done N/A... A nice individual throttle body wouldn't be that hard to rig up, much like sheetmetal tunnel rams fabbed for NHRA cars...

Of course, using two L20ET turbos (hmmmm, 4 liters, turbos sized for 2 liters, twin turbo.... cheap OEM parts availability...) would also be interesting, and with 10 to 12 psi of boost it would not be a big deal, because you could use a lot of WRX cast-offs, just in duplicate...

the later motors come with fuel injection

good luck with doing the motor up guys i had my fun with the y44 std for 12 years but have had enough of having to machine or find something that will fit bought a Ls1 last week pulling the nissan v8 out soon

will keep watching to see how much hp you get from one one problem ive had and hope u dont or maybe find a fix for is the motor seems to have some sort of in built rev limiter hits 5500 rpm and dies done it since i got it done every thing from electronic ignition new coils fuel pumps two holley carbs still does it seems to want to rev harder but wont

if you want and specific shots of engine in car before i pull it ot drop me a line

Mick

Guest nikko74z

Hey David, I have a few pics, but not sure how to post them here. Someone mentioned that a L28 flywheel would bolt up. I noticed that as well, but the stock flywheel it came with has an egg shaped adaptor that could possibly be a counter weight of some kind. I will side with Tony, 350 to 400 hp n/a is not out of the question. I am going to the machine shop next Thursday. My buddy called and he told me he had something interesting to show me in relation to the roller rockers I mentioned previously. The other nice thing is that I have a template that will allow me to fit a turbo 350 tranny that has a transbrake in it. Fuel injection is not out of the question. July is around the corner. I wish I had time to visit this site more often, boy has this thing evolved over the years.

I think it looks very similar to a Buick V-8, doesn't it? (front mount distributor)

The buick has an external oil pump though.

Dave, I don't know how, but I just ran my 78 at Qualcomm eighths yesterday until the slave cyl. took a crap, my worst time was 11.1, that's when I had NO clutch action at all, I did my final run by cranking in 1st gear and flooring it.

My best time was a 9.825@72, and I even managed a 10.1 with my buddy garrett along for the ride..he's like 290lb, my Z weighed at least 3100lb at that point and I still beat a stripped down probably sub-1400lb CRX (man did that put a smile on my face.)

I guess i just happen to have a really strong running L28 motor. I have never opened it up, I just have a couple of bolt-ons (and no, one of them is NOT a turbo)

I still wouldn't mind finding one of these motors, even if it never finds it way into a car, just to be able to say..."That's a Nissan small block." hehe!

• 5 years later...

chaps!

does anyone have the original pics from this thread? im after some basic info on the ol Y series and those pics sound like they were nice :D i know, 6 year bump but info (other than specs) for these engines is a touch hard to come by

thanks if you can help :2thumbs: