HybridZ

A quick FI and ignition 280zxt to S30 turbo swap guide

bumble zee

1974 just had an oil pressure sensor. The turbo unit is a sensor and a switch. If you want to use the switch, you would need to determine which terminal is the switch terminal (it will be all or nothing on resistance) and run new wire to whatever it is you want to switch (fuel pump, warning light, etc.).

The other terminal would connect to your existing harness single wire.

They started using the dual function sender in 77 or 78. The FSMs for those years do a better job of describing function (Body Electrical - 1978).

This question seems like it should be in a separate thread...

Edited by NewZed

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...

Does any one have a picture of how the tach signal wire and what wire it is spliced into on the stock harness? I have a late 260z, but i just need to see a picture of the stock tach power feed under the dash so i can get a idea of where its at.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am right in the middle of doing my turbo swap and had a few questions. How did you hook up the start signal wire from the ignition plug? Also do you have any picture that could maybe help explain "-Black with white strip - Switched power (Needs to be run to a 12+ volt switched power) The end from the relay side needs to goto the switched power. Not the harness side." Sorry for the questions but I have been working on this car for a while and I cant think right now.

Answer to your question in red...no pic, but all this means is to hook it up the 12volt at that end of the harness (where the EFI relay is) and not to do it at the harness end (I assume he means where everything plugs into the ECU)

Hope that helped...I just finished up doing this for my first time so it's fresh on my mind. When I'm home later I'll try to help you out on that other question.

Answer to your question in red...no pic, but all this means is to hook it up the 12volt at that end of the harness (where the EFI relay is) and not to do it at the harness end (I assume he means where everything plugs into the ECU)

Hope that helped...I just finished up doing this for my first time so it's fresh on my mind. When I'm home later I'll try to help you out on that other question.

Sorry I should of explained that a little more. The part in red is explaining the black/white wire next to the Relay on the passenger side fender well. I may have just answered it for myself but confirmation would be nice. He just cut the wires before the white plug and wired those up? I got the other side of that white plug from my zx so can I just hook up the other side of that and have everything disconnect like factory?

IMG_0739.jpg

This swap is so simple but for the life of my I can seem to figure out what to do with the yellow START wire coming out of the ignition harness plug by the ECU. Any pictures or a quick overview of where you hooked all those wires up would be very helpful.

okx4ih.jpg

Its all coming out of a 82 280zx turbo and going into a 77 280z if that makes a difference.

Edited by Grip_Z

Sorry I should of explained that a little more. The part in red is explaining the black/white wire next to the Relay on the passenger side fender well. I may have just answered it for myself but confirmation would be nice. He just cut the wires before the white plug and wired those up? I got the other side of that white plug from my zx so can I just hook up the other side of that and have everything disconnect like factory?

IMG_0739.jpg

This swap is so simple but for the life of my I can seem to figure out what to do with the yellow START wire coming out of the ignition harness plug by the ECU. Any pictures or a quick overview of where you hooked all those wires up would be very helpful.

okx4ih.jpg

Its all coming out of a 82 280zx turbo and going into a 77 280z if that makes a difference.

In the first picture with the cut wires, you are correct that they are cut from the connector(not sure why, but they orignal creator of the guide had them cut). I did like you said and just plugged the connector into the connector on the harness, and it works fines.

With the yellow START wire, look under your steering column and find the connector that goes to your ignition switch. I'm not sure if the colors are the same for every year, but there should be a yellow wire that signals the starter to crank when the key is turned to the START position. Cut and splice the yellow wire on the harness to that yellow wire on the ignition switch connector.

Look at this diagram toward the ignition switch and you will see what i mean. Where the circle is from plug 2 to the ignition switch is, is the spliced connection point.

site1081.jpg

Edited by cd1105

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is how to wire up for the 83zxt ignition courtesy of jon (in the green Z) on ZCAR.com who made up this diagram.

site1081.jpg

IMG_3206.jpg

Is this the plug 2 in jon's wiring diagram? I'm not sure because the colors are starting from the left in the top row black, yellow/white, yellow, green/blue and bottom row is green, yellow, yellow/white and black. None of the pin places are empty. And I have checked that I don't exactly same kind of plug in my wiring harness.

Edited by Blobber

• 2 months later...

Hello, I'm starting the wiring now for my swap (77 280z + 82-83 harness) and following these two diagrams.

site1081.jpg

and

CygnusX1-TurboSwapWiringDiagram.jpg

and I think I understand it all. I have 2 pictures I have questions on

Is this 2 wire connector used. It's located near the eccs connectors

IMAG1425.jpg

Is this small 8 pin being used for the swap? Its located right next to the 8 pin connector I'm splicing into.

IMAG1424.jpg

Thanks

Edited by jgautosport

• 2 months later...

I guess its dead I've been trolling for 2 days and I can't make sense of any of it, each harness I see pics of is already hacked up, many post conflict eachother. I'm in the middle of an 82 zxt swap into a 73 and i'm scratching my head at the moment. I don't want to splic in power on the wrong wires and backfeed voltage trying stuff so as of now everything is plugged in to the factory plugs on the engine minus a few and i'll keep reading

• 8 months later...

Using both diagrams in this thread I have noticed that on Dave's diagram (non colored) and the colored one I believe there is a error when comparing the two.  Plug 2 is ZXT female plug on the other diagram.  Look at the ground black wire on both diagrams.  On Dave's the ground wire shares a row with 2 other wires and on the colored diagram on Plug 2 black ground does not share a row with any other wires.  Am I missing something here?