HybridZ

?'s on L28e swap into 260z

Guest 260zKid

Guest 260zKid

Hello all, I just recieved two cars for free. One early '74 260z with a nice body (jams all painted, very little rust) with no engine and a 78 280z with a whole lotta rust and a good, though high mileage,L28e and 5 speed tranny.

Of course, i would love to be able to afford an L28et but, seeing as how both these cars landed in my possession for free, i would like to spend as little money as possible getting them running and on the road. Here are my questions:

1. How hard will it be to pull the L28e and put it into the 260?

2. What would be required? I have all the wiring and such and am currently getting the engine ready to run (it hasnt been started in 12 years, but it does turn over). Everything is there.

3. What head is on the L28e? Just curious.

4. I have heard the the baffling in the 260 tank in insufficient for EFI. Is this true? I have the 280 tank but i dont think it wont fit under the 260 due to the recessed spare tire. What tank can i use? I see many people with L28et's in their 240z's. What tanks do they use?

5. I Have and early pair of SU carbs (roundtops) and manifold. The carbs need to be rebuild. I am thinking of using these instead of the fuel injection. Are they reliable enough to be driven daily and will they bolt to the L28e head? The manifold is off an early 240z.

Thanks for your help everyone

I've just done the exact thing you are considering. As far as the fuel tank goes, Im have heard you can use a later model fuel tank, but dont hold me to that though. I couldnt use a later model fuel tank as we never got EFI equipped 280s in OZ. You can always just make an external surge tank, which actually you can squeeze in next to the std electric pump at the back and use it in combo with a bosch type roller pump.