HybridZ

2-Speed FORD TAURUS fan wiring dia. and part list

For the info gotten from you guys, here is an update.

Relays used were 2 Tyco V23232-A0001-X003 for the motors, (75AMP motor relays)and 1 0 332 209-161 for the controller. Installed the controller into a 14 ga wired relay socket, Used maxi 60 amp in line fuses. used 555-10562 (185) and 555-10563 (205) temp switches from Jegs. Used 6Ga HD Maxi fuse holders spliced into 8Ga wire to fans and to ground. I used all 14ga wire and HD shrink connectors, I also got the new burnup proof fan plug from a dealer to make sure nothing overheated and melted any wiring.

Enclosed all relays in a poly box and sealed it to be waterproof.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no you should already have a 60 amp alternator. the fan draws a bunch of current at start up. after start up if i remember, when fan is running, is something like 8 to 12 amps on low, 14 to 18 on high.

if you are running a big draw stereo, you may need to up the alternator.

figure out at night, headlamps, tail lights, heater fan, wipers, radio, dash lamps, ect that you are running and how many amps they use. remember you draw off the battery, the alternator fills the battery back up. if you drain faster than the alternator can refill, things will go dead.

i'd put the fan in, use a good battery and give it a try. if lights dim when fan comes on and stay dim, upgrade the alternator.

i am running the 104 amp because i wanted to be sure. room to add other accessories.

be advised that the taurus fan has only one motor.

you must shut off the low speed before you turn on the high speed.

most people use one temp controlled switch and a relay to power the low speed.

it is a very efficient fan ( as long as the radiator and associated cooling system is in good condition ) normally you will not have to use the high speed.

that said, if you decide to use a switch inside the truck to turn on the high speed ( as most people do ), run the sw to a relay to power the high speed.

make sure that when that switch turns on the high speed it also shuts off the power to the low speed.

if you try to run the low and high speed at the same time, you will burn out the motor.

it has been a few years since i wired mine up. divorce and lack of funds ( divorce LOL ) my 240z is just setting.

i wired mine using Cozy Cole's schematics and used two temperature switches.

best to read my write up at hybridz.org as i don't remember exactly how i did it.

i do know that it works perfectly.

use the 3 relays and follow the schematics.

Cozy talked me through part of it.

he is a real nice guy.

if you get confused, shoot him an email.

i'm willing to help as well but, as i say, it has been a while.

wayne

Guest 73LT1Z
I have a 77' Chevy truck will I have to upgrade my alternator when I install the ford Taurus electric fan?

Semi-stupid question, but are you installing the motor & accessories from the '77 truck into a Z car? If you are keeping it in a truck, wouldn't a mechanical fan and shroud (i.e. stock setup) be more functional, practical & economical?

The engine swap crowd (like me) uses electric fans since they are more compact than mechanical ones, plus the later GM motors did not use a mechanical fan like the one that came with your truck.

• 2 months later...

I'm looking to upgrade to the Taurus 2 speed fan but can't tell which of these two are the correct fan to purchase. They are both advertised as Ford 3.8 Taurus Fan High Output 2 Spd fans, but look very different.

Anybody able to help me make the wise choice? :redface:

Click-em

836010622594.th.jpg

bugtbumkkgrhgohdsejlll1.th.jpg

Thanks!!

The TOP pic is the 2 Spd. [Three wires]. The bottom is from a 3.0 not a 3.8 if memory serves me. The bottom is DEFINITELY NOT the one that most use/talk about. The other option is the larger 2 Spd found on Lincolns & some T Birds. On that one, the blades are more 'pie shaped'. A general internet search will have all that you need to know. I also believe that comparison pics are elsewhere here on hybrid.

Guest 73LT1Z

The top fan looks like the Taurus fan I have in my RX-7. If there is room in your Datsun, I'd use the mid 90's Lincoln Mark8 fan, but many of these are single speed fans or utilize a control box for the dual speeds (I recall reading a good bit about these on LS1Tech in my BMW wagon thread- I decided against using the OEM controller). I have a Delta controller on the Mark8 in the Datsun & it works very well other than the jumper setup being not to vibration resistant IMO.

The post about the Lincoln fan is here, the Corvette Forum post is linked there also:

Post 67

EDIT

I forgot to mention if you are shopping, there is a JY in Ohio that sells these fans cheap. Let me know if you need the info & I can PM it- not sure if a link is OK.

The Lincoln fan is 18" and the Taurus is 17". Both use the same motor. If you are buying it online, as opposed to pulling it at the jy yourself, try to get BOTH connectors [M & F]. The shroud on the Lincoln AND Taurus are the same if I'm not mistaken. I have a few of both; but not accessible at this moment.

There is so much written about these fans online, you could kill HOURS reading about them. It is as reliable and effective a method for cooling as the SBC is the foundation for pretty much ALL V8s...

The TOP pic is the 2 Spd. [Three wires]. The bottom is from a 3.0 not a 3.8 if memory serves me. The bottom is DEFINITELY NOT the one that most use/talk about. The other option is the larger 2 Spd found on Lincolns & some T Birds. On that one, the blades are more 'pie shaped'. A general internet search will have all that you need to know. I also believe that comparison pics are elsewhere here on hybrid.

Just so it will be here to, in case others stumble upon this thread.

This is the "pie" shaped one you referred to?

665115777189.th.jpg

the top one will work, as i used that on my 77 na setup. u will have to shave some of the plastic shroud to get it to mount on the stock radiator.

the other piece i used for that set up was a thermo switch that was from a nissan pulsar or sentra that has a splice in the radiator hose that will turn your fan on @ 225ish degrees.

14719_thumb.attach

014_thumb.jpg

Just as an additional FYI, for those 'Electronically Challenged' [like myself], I collaborated with a guy that produced REALLY SLICK Plug-N-Play Wiring/Relay Harnesses to handle these high draw fans. His prices are reasonable, considering the time savings, and the quality of the assembly.

His contact info is: info@thoroco.com Name is Dave. He has Field Tested the set for several weeks under very demanding conditions [towing a large boat & trailer]. Tell him Stan referred you. I get no compensation whatsoever. He sent me one of the finished pieces as a 'Thank You' for providing him with so much info on the Taurus/Lincoln fans, and I was REALLY very impressed [which isn't easy to do].

Just as an additional FYI, for those 'Electronically Challenged' [like myself], I collaborated with a guy that produced REALLY SLICK Plug-N-Play Wiring/Relay Harnesses to handle these high draw fans. His prices are reasonable, considering the time savings, and the quality of the assembly.

His contact info is: info@thoroco.com Name is Dave. He has Field Tested the set for several weeks under very demanding conditions [towing a large boat & trailer]. Tell him Stan referred you. I get no compensation whatsoever. He sent me one of the finished pieces as a 'Thank You' for providing him with so much info on the Taurus/Lincoln fans, and I was REALLY very impressed [which isn't easy to do].

I just ran across this harness. I think it's the same guy... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120431538709&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Guest thoroco
It is ... didn't realize that he was marketing them on eBay already. His big target market is rock crawlers & four wheelers. I was under the impression his price point would be a bit less; but, eBay fees and all .....

Thanks for the mention 240Z2NV. I do have them directly at www.hollisterroad.com and shipping is included. Prices start at $59 and go to $249. Ebay does add about 15% when all said a done. I do have several versions with and without sensors.

If I can be of help with relays and fans not just my own, feel free to contact me. My name is Dave Chapman I'm in Houston TX info@thoroco.com.

This is merely another [RELIABLE] option to say, the Delta Unit ... which is what I was going to get myself. That being said, I just have come in contact with too many people [in person] who have had Quality Control issues with their DCC units. The controller is outstanding [in theory]; but, those whom I have met that have had defects have had a very difficult time getting them resolved.

This set-up [mentioned in today's 'dialogue'] may not offer all of the bells & whistles; but, it does exactly what it is supposed to do... and, should be pretty idiot proof. And, for those of you who have read some of my other 'Electrical Dilemma' threads/posts, I am a bit obsessive about good wire gauge, and these have really thick wires ! :~)

• 2 months later...

anybody know where i can find the 5-pin relay rated 70-80 amps? the only one i found are for like $30 each.

i looked on ebay, google and radio shaq.

any ideas?

can i use a 14v relay aswell?

btw can i use a 60/80 amp? i found this on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/60-80-AMP-RELAY-SPDT-SINGLE-POLE-DOUBLE-THROW-NEW-654_W0QQitemZ110373059322QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b2bf3afa&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14[/url]

• 4 weeks later...

HI guys, I know this has just about been beaten to death. I'm about to make the swap on my Ram 1500. After much research (I don't want to over heat, or burn up the fan) I came across the diagram on the first page on this site. I don't know why the rest of the diagrams have a hi or lo setting, but it makes a bit of sense. Would suck to burn out the fan cause hi and lo was powered at the same time.

It's also been 20 years since I dd anything with components and my math is non-existent and no one had hi/lo and A/C inputs other than a pre-made fan controller....may be the best way to go, but some low reviews made me think otherwise. But I did manage to come up with a circuit that allows me to run the fan from three inputs. Using a Circuit Simulator lo and A/C both kick on the lo speed, hi disables the lo side and kicks on hi speed. Also has a blown fuse relay for both the power and the control sides. I'm not sure if the power fuse circuit is what works best and uses a relay to power the fuse indicator when ignition is on. No reason running the battery down, huh?

import the following txt file into the simulator. I'll be putting this circuit to test in the next week or two. We'll see if I have any issues. :-(

taurusfancircuit.txt