HybridZ

Looking for a source to supply pistons for 3.0 280ZX

ZSaint

Who is a reasonable supplier of L6 pistons? I have a set of pistons that the engine builder "mocked up" and told me the pistons were at deck height. When he put it together he said the piston is down in the bore .050!!! He calculated the cr to be 9.3 and now he says it will be 8.1. It will be perfect for a turbo but I have no such plans. The guy apologized and took the balancing and mock-up costs off my bill.

I do not want to spend $600 on a set of custom forged pistons. I am happy with a good cast piston. What do you guys recommend?

specs: 87.5 mm bore with a 83 mm stroke = 2995 cc

I have a set of cast flattop VG 30 pistons. I will take a set of forged or cast. It is going in a street resto '71 Z. It is a prepped engine: Lightened & balanced rods with ARP bolts, shot peened, balanced and polished LD28 crank, 87.5 mm F54 block, ported head and intake manifold. It is running SU's, a mild WEB cam in a P90A head with 6-2-1 header and electronic ignition.

I am building the block to take additional power if needed. I will just wait and see what direction I eventually take with the head, cam and induction.

I am looking at a good set of pistons, forged or cast, that bring me 9.5- 10.0 cr.

You will need to shave and shim the P90A to get close to 10:1 (unless you find some dome pistons). If you do shave and shim it, you can just run stock F54 flat top pistons and get close to 10:1. Another option would be to run an N42 head with flat tops. The resultant CR will be around 9.8:1.

Pete

I do not understand the use of F54 flattop pistons. I have an increase in stroke of .160 (83mm). I am using the longer (133mm) 240 rod. Will the piston that is designed for the 2.7mm shorter 280 rod (130.3) with a stock L28 (79mm) crank not stick out of the block a BUNCH! It should be 4.7mm above the block, correct?

I used Nissan Z22 pistons in my last 3.0 liter build. They are cast and standard size is 87mm. They need to be milled 2.0mm to have a zero deck height. The milling will remove most of the dished volume (about a 4cc dish volume is left). Calculated CR with N42 head is 9.8.