HybridZ

Supercharging a VH45DE

friday

Well, my engine finally left Yokohama docks on the 18th and all being well should come into the UK docks on April 9th. Starting to get things together this end in preparation for the swap into my Z32 (got a road trip planned for tomorrow with a mate to have a first look at his own VH45 that arrived a few weeks ago) but I'd like to ask some advice if that's ok?

I've never particularly given much thought to going down the supercharger route, I'm happy to admit it's not something I know a lot about, but I have to say I'm incredibly interested to find out more. After searching the site I found a thread from back in 2002 regarding Vortech blowers http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=78442

Is it still the same situation? Are there any now that people would recommend for the VH45DE engine? Any advice on the subject would be greatly appreciated, (as I said this is definately not my area of expertise :)) as I'm sure it will come in handy further on down the line!

Cheers,

Leigh.

personally, supercharger wise i'd get a roots blower over a centrifugal blower. the centrifugal would be a bit more efficient but the no full boost till redline thing is definitely not appealing. with roots you'll have nearly instant boost right away. actually speaking of which... there's some Q45 guys setting up a roots supercharger kit for the VH45DE... that might help out quite a bit. i'll try searching around and see if i can find how that thing is going.

personally, supercharger wise i'd get a roots blower over a centrifugal blower. the centrifugal would be a bit more efficient but the no full boost till redline thing is definitely not appealing. with roots you'll have nearly instant boost right away. actually speaking of which... there's some Q45 guys setting up a roots supercharger kit for the VH45DE... that might help out quite a bit. i'll try searching around and see if i can find how that thing is going.

You're absolutely right mate. Smooth, immediate power delivery is definately what I'm looking for (one of the reasons the VG30DETT is being replaced). If you come across any info I'd be really interested :) Feel free to drop me a line on friday76@lycos.com fella :)

Cheers,

Leigh.

There are a few I looked into.

1) TT blower, basically a variable geared centrifugal apparently feels almost as good as a pure NA.

2) Screw blower. Low down power like roots, top end like centrifugal, but more efficient than both. Expensive! Thinnk Merc use these on the AMG cars, mazda used them on something.

3) Roots, good low end power, dying off at the top. Very inefficient compared to the other two.