HybridZ

removing gas tank neck filler tube

takeuchi

Quick question, on my '70 i'm having troubles getting the stubborn thing out. I removed the screws at both ends. Is it supposed to be pulled up or down. From the bottom i saw thick bendy rings in the tube that made me think it won't be able to be pulled up, and the top edge is hard plastic that is impossible to pull through the hole. Help is appreciated.

I'm not sure how simmilar it is on a 240, but my 75 280 comes out the bottom.. I had to remove the inside plastic panel (interior) to gain access to the 'underside' of the filler neck. IIRC, there was a big hose clamp holdng the tube/hose to the metal spout that's screwed to the fender. Similar to what holds the hose to the gas tank. It's a huge pain to get out as you have to push it off the tank, twist it, and then pull it through the floor. Mine was so rotten, I ended up pulling out a piece of the floor with it.. :icon52:

FYI... the 280Z filler is completely different than the 240 filler. On the 280Z, the filler neck is 2 pieces with the top part being metal and the bottom is hard rubber. On the 240Z, the whole thing is 1 piece of hard rubber. It's a PIA to get out, but it can be done. From what I recall, I pried it through the hole with a screwdriver. The rubber is pretty tough. However, the nipple on the neck that the hose from the evap. tank connects to I'm told may crack slightly. It probably wont even be noticable, but it may lead to the smell of fuel in the car. I will be investigating this as a possible explanation for the fuel smell in my Z (All the hoses are new).

If there's an easy way to get this thing in and out, I'd like to hear it...

Nigel

'73 240ZT

When I replaced mine I literally had to chisel the top flange part off. The rubber was hard as a rock. My new filler neck was very soft rubber and went in very easily. 7 years or so later I just pulled the filler out again and it was medium stiff, but I didn't have to break it to get it out.

looks like i'm not the only one who had some difficulties. I tried putting like 6 screwdrivers near the top to pry back the edging of the rubber. Looks like i'm gonna have to go crazy on the top part to push it through. thanks for your responses.

Thanks for all the help! While mine is not crunchy hard, I could not get it pried back well enough using three pry bars and a big screwdriver.

If I have to cut it, does anyone know who a new replacement is available from, and approx $.

Thanks,

Joshua