HybridZ

Seat choice for the narrow S30 interior

blueovalz

I know that JT1 runs around track with stock s-30 seats... I guess he is ok with them... he runs fast...

I have a Recaro in my current track toy and I really like it... it sits very low on the stock seat mounts.. it sits even lower in the car than the stock seats...

I am using a set of Corbeu seats in my new project car.. they sat VERY high in comparison to stock and the Recaros... I am going to use them but I had to change the seat mounts to lower them... I also beefed up the floor pan...

Another thing I notice is that the S-30s have relatively little vertical space... they measure something like 39" from mounts to roof... I checked a few other cars and found that most have around 43" of headroom... I am oging to have the side roof bars very close to my helmet.. but it looks like everyone else has delt with this same problem...

I am using a set of Corbeu seats in my new project car.. they sat VERY high in comparison to stock and the Recaros... I am going to use them but I had to change the seat mounts to lower them... I also beefed up the floor pan...

I've got a set of Corbeau A4's and they sit too high when I've got my helmet on. What did you modify on the seat mounts to lower them?

I've got the Corbeau sliders and don't like the fact that the release handle doesn't move with the seats.

I'm planning to modify my stock sliders to the Corbeau's but I'd like to drop the seats down about 6 inches while I'm at it!

ahhhh mods my dears....

Driverssideseatmount1.jpg

Driverssideseatmount2.jpg

Driverssideseatmockup.jpg

I have actually managed to get even more vertical spae with a few other mods I have not taken pics of yet... this managed to get me about an inch lower... I lowered them another 3/4" by changing the longitudinal tubes after these pics were taken...

My rear set bolts protrude through the floorboards by almost an inch now...

The seats are Corbeu Forza... They were slightly modified to fit the factory rails directly to them...

CorbeuForzamodification.jpg

This involves drilling 4 holes in the flatstock mounting rails that are built into the seat... there is just enough space between the tube rails of the seat to accomplish this and still get a nut on the slider-rail bolts... the bolts end up VERY CLOSE to the tubes that make the seat... there is room though...

The next step is to grind off the original Corbeu threaded mounting lugs... these stick down away from the flatstock they are welded to and they will interfere with the Datsun slider-rail... the top sides of these threaded lugs must also be removed to allow access to the mounting nut with a wrench...

In order to do this without ruining your seat... you can untie the string that holds the lower part of the seatcover tight... and then pull it up and out of the way...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I decided to further lower the seat mounting rails to get absolutely the most room I could out of this set up...

I ended up cutting off the tops of the rear mounting tubes.... then I replaced the tops with a piece of 14G trimmed to fit and lightened like the rest...

reducedmount.jpg

I mounted my subframe connectors and tied the front seat mounting tube to the subframe connector....

mounttieintoSFC.jpg

Here is the completed seat mount modification... except ofr maybe one little detail... I still have to angle the front mounting holes the same as the rears... that will involve just a little more work with the punch and brake to fab 2 little angle brackets...

completedseatmount.jpg

why does everyone dislike the stock seats? i love em

They are perfectly fine for a street driven car but in racing I found myself putting more effort into keeping in the seat than I did keeping on the race line. I can only speak for myself here but my car spends 90% of its driving time on a track, I can guess that most of the rest of the guys who are running "race" seats in thier cars also spend the majority of thier time on the track.

Dragonfly

Terry:

I recently bought an 06 Z, and love the seats. Lots of lateral support, reclines, power, heated, leather, etc.

I am building a 72 Z as a daily driver. I fournd a set of leather 350 Z seats on e-bay for $500. Had to trim the plastic side pockets off both seats, but after that they fit great. Snug to the console, about an inch to the door panel. Approximately the same headroom and leg room as the stock seats. I'm very happy with them.

By the way, the stock 72 seats are now extra an for sale. Newly upholstered and webbed. Excellent condition. $250.

By the way, I love your car.

Dave

The seats that I purchased for my 72' are the MOMO Cup seats.

seat1grande.jpg

MOMOCup.jpg

These seats are light weight' date=' they meet FIA requirements, can be mounted from the bottom or the sides and have removable pads for easy cleaning.

Dragonfly[/quote']

these look great! and they're inexpensive, how are they comfort wise?

these look great! and they're inexpensive, how are they comfort wise?

I am 5'-9" and weigh 165 lbs and for me the seats fit very well and are quite comfortable, I am not sure I would want to drive all day in them though as they are race seats and have no adjustments. Before I purchased them I went to a local race shop that had about 2 dozen diferent seats that you could sit in and check the comfort level etc. and to me for the price the MOMO's were the best, if I had been willing to pay 2 to 3 times more money the high end Sparco's and Recaro's were more comfortable and in my opinion the Carbeu's were by far the most uncomfortable and they seemed to cut off the blood flow to my legs causing them to get numb after only a few minutes. I have a friend who has the Carbeu's in his Z and they also caused my legs and feet to go numb after only a few minutes.

Dragonfly

Terry:

I recently bought an 06 Z' date=' and love the seats. Lots of lateral support, reclines, power, heated, leather, etc.

I am building a 72 Z as a daily driver. I fournd a set of leather 350 Z seats on e-bay for $500. Had to trim the plastic side pockets off both seats, but after that they fit great. Snug to the console, about an inch to the door panel. Approximately the same headroom and leg room as the stock seats. I'm very happy with them.

By the way, the stock 72 seats are now extra an for sale. Newly upholstered and webbed. Excellent condition. $250.

By the way, I love your car.

Dave[/quote']Aren't they great! I had to actually raise mine up with 3 of the washers, as they sat too low initially. I was really amazed when I measured them at how close to the dimensions of the 240z seats they were.