HybridZ

Can i use the stock tps?

ihatejoefitz

If your talking about the 280zx TPS. the answer would be - No, you cant use it.

Megasquirt need a varying resistor type of TPS whereas the stock unit is like an on/off switch.

I found the best one to use is from the 24SX. Only needs a small adapter bracket and it works well .

I used each of the following at one time or another:

91 Stanza TPS (Potentiometer) from an SR20

240SX TPS (Potentiometer) from a KA24

91, 92, 93 Mazda 929 TPS (Potentiometer)

Some Ford TPS on a 70mm Throttle Body

A GM TPS (Potentiometer)

Whatever throttle body you choose to use, the later the vehicle the better, as the chances are good it will have a TPS and not just a switch.

The Mazda was the only odd man out, as it had more wires than the rest...

But the Mazda Throttle Body also had an integrated ADJUSTABLE idle air bypass circuit! Same as the Ford unit.

i wound up doing as i said and swaping the whole throttle body, i also modified my accelerator pedal to use the throttle cable from the 240sx, it took me all of 30 minutes and i think it cleans up the intake a lot. especially after i grind down the linkage mounts.

i wound up doing as i said and swaping the whole throttle body, i also modified my accelerator pedal to use the throttle cable from the 240sx, it took me all of 30 minutes and i think it cleans up the intake a lot. especially after i grind down the linkage mounts.
got any pic's? I've been wanting to do that but not sure about cable length

I'll agree, I converted mine some time ago using a 200SX throttle cable.

When I drilled out the ball on the end of hte throttle pedal and bent it 90 degrees, it lined right up like it was made for the conversion.

I will have to take photos and post them on my cardomain site. The 200ZX cable

"pull clip" went right in the hole vacated by the old bellcrank pivot ball's stem! Just like on the 200SX pedal! I was amazed.

Have not converted the EFI car as of yet. No time.

I got to ask....

Did you bend the throttle lever IN the car? It sure looks like someone was up there with a blowtorch!

LOL

But yeah, that is about what mine looks like.

On a technical note, I read somewhere that the quadrant should have the throttle cable heading towards it tangentially so I try to set mine up like that and it worked O.K. how is tip-in with your setup, as it looks like the cable mount is a bit higher than it "should" be for the TB position.

I considered setting up like that, but with the quadrant on the TOP of the manifold... Gives you a few more alternatives for mounting that cable with the correct angle. Especially if you whack the stock linkage holders off the top of the manifold...

the cable position is definitely temporary, i havent even gotten MS running on my car yet, so it was pretty much impromptu. as soon as everythin is up and running i'll start cleaning up the intake, grinding down the stock linkage and ill probably weld a bracket for the cable to sit in.

my guess as to why the metal is so burnt looking right there, is probably because the old cammed and carburated engine would backfire through the carbs for the first ten or so minutes after startup and they were pretty close to that hole.

the tip in is not great and is something that ill have to get used to.

• 1 month later...

helo, i am using the 240sx throttle cable on the inside of the intake along with the spacer and and the 60mm tb, , welded the arm of the 240sx pedal to the to the 280z one , ( my first prototype) fed the cable through the linkage port in the firewall and used the cable mount for the cable end at the tb side attached to a mounting hole in the inake, positioned to the correct distance, on the 240sx tb itself i used the cruise control , half moon cable throttle piece and shortened the shaft to clear the intake , on the potientiometer side, i redrilled the 280z potientiometer to accept the new angle of the mounting screws. my first attempt and it works great, no more linkage i want to adapt it to the origanal tb , to use on the street model to avoid the decel exaust , i also need input on other ideas on clean low budget custom tricks