HybridZ

280z or zx diff in a 240 sx?

Guest Darkone

Guest Darkone

Can i put the 280z or zx diff in my 89 240sx becuse I heard the 280z/zx diff is stronger and is capable of handling 700hp or more? please help if u can.

The rear end is a R200 very much like the ones in Z32's. The carrier can be taken out and swaped for the R200 carrier in a 280Z but the side stubs need to be changed too. The side stubs are a diffrent in a S14 so it would be hard to make them match the 240SX CV joints.

Don

280zx diff holds 700hp??

I don't know about that.

Anyway, for the most part... R200 is R200. The ring and pinion shouldn't be all that much different.

If you put a nice Limited Slip unit inside a 240sx R200 housing, you will have a severely strong unit.

Making a Z diff fit a 240sx would be a bitch anyway... its a long nose and no bolts would line up... you'd need a custom driveshaft I bet, too.

240SX's came with long nose too. I don't know when the changeover to the short nose happened, but it's probably right around 89. 90 is the changeover to the short nose in the 300ZX IIRC.

So if the 240SX this guy has is a long nose R200, then he already has the 280ZX diff for all practical purposes.

Guest 81na ZX

Just keep the 240sx's R200 in there. Its still a R200 and there are more LSD options, and lots of junkyard LSDs to find too.

Or if you want to upgrade from the diff in there now, a R230 out of a z32 should be eaiser to install than a s130's R200. Still not at all easy though.