HybridZ

Instead of using a db37 pigtail connection, why cant i just do this?

ihatejoefitz

That is what I am doing on the TPI megasquirt install. I ordered a DB37 gender changer and just used it instead of builkding a cable. I will be mounting both the ECU and realy board in the same spot. I did verify on the gender changer that all signals were connected. It is working for me.

The relay box is set up for engine room usage, the MS is not.

Had my interconenct sensor cables been long enough I suppose I could have moved that into the kick panel also, but one way or the other you will have to make a harness longer. So either your sensor harnesses are longer, or the pigtail moves you remote.

Not everyone is installing these in Z's. A VW Bus would be better served with the ECU up front, where you can monitor it, hook up to it, smell it burining while the relays are all out back where they need to be.

Another thought would be that with a pigtail, it allows you flexibility in routing where stuff goes. The way I wired some stuff, that straight through connector would send some wierd signals to the box from what I did underneath the relay board conecrning power taps for the heated O2 sensor, CSV, etc!

Also, remember you will have to run your power wires to the relay board, meaning power wires through the firewall.

i bought the rs-autosport kit and the wires are long enough to make it to the car parked in front of mines engine bay if need be... i just didnt want all of those prongs soldered together because im not that great of a solderer.

im curious why your setup would send weird signals from the heated 02?

because the power source for the heated O2 is jumpered under the board to S1-5 on the Relay board, and if the straightthrough connector was used, the "jumpers" on the board, would feed back to the ECU...

I jumped wires from their "Assigned Spots" in the interconnect cable to other spots for the relay board attachments.

Hey, it's open arc, right?

• 3 years later...

The components on the relay board are fairly weather resistant - not 100% waterproof, but about as water resistant as most other underhood parts.

One thing Bowling & Grippo were concerned about with plugging the relay board into the MS directly was vibration damage from having the two PCBs directly connected through a rigid coupling.

• 3 weeks later...

I skip the relay board too. It is easy enough to build a harness with relays, then you have complete control over what signals get shielded and which don't. I keep the relays and fuses close to the MS inside the passenger compartment, everything else is sealed that ends up in the engine compartment.

Pete

This thread is ollllld. Haha, I definitely wasn't thinking too clearly when I came up with this idea. The way the gender changer plug (actually, was just a solder cup) works is basically a straight through, while the cable you need to actually make MS work needs to be the opposite, like a mirror image of each solder cup.

http://www.bgsoflex.com/mspower/relay-cable.html

:dupe:

The way the gender changer plug (actually, was just a solder cup) works is basically a straight through, while the cable you need to actually make MS work needs to be the opposite, like a mirror image of each solder cup

The gender changers I bought worked fine for connecting the relay board directly to the MS box. I measured them when they showed up, they do not just go straight through pin to pin.