HybridZ

Instead of using a db37 pigtail connection, why cant i just do this?

ihatejoefitz

I didn't use a relay board, either, I used the factory fuse box and relays on my 280z (which is no longer mine),

I'm also going to use the factory (relocated to the trunk) fusebox and relays on my MS-II, EDIS, VH41-powered 240sx, too. (so far have the fusebox relocated but not much else, too many projects. Pics will come along eventually. I don't understand why everybody doesn't just use the factory fuseboxes, esp. in more modern cars, it's there, it's engineered for automotive use, already has all the fuses and relays you need, and if you can wire up all this custom stuff the car's wiring is obviously no mystery to you. :)

Still admiring the cleanliness of your wiring, mr. cygnus. A lot!

If I actually get a few nice days where there isn't "something else to do" I'll get some pics of my 240's wiring mess and the eventual clean up...lol (the underhood area is much nicer, now, but the interior is spaghetti.....)

I still have to procure another megasquirt unit...and actually finish mounting the engine first.

Sorry to get a bit off topic.........

• 3 weeks later...

This is taken from the Megamanual, under the chapter on the relay board:

Q: Can I directly plug the Relay/Power box into the MegaSquirt® ECU without a cable?

A: No, not directly. Both the MegaSquirt® and the Relay/Power box use DB-37 male connectors, each with the same pins for the same function. You have to use a connecting cable, each with DB-37 female connectors on each end.

Q: Why are the connectors this way?

A: For many reasons - the main one is to prevent the temptation of just plugging the two units (MegaSquirt® and the Relay/Power board) physically together and mounting in this fashion. Fixed mounting in this arrangement of two boards thru a DB-37 connector will lead to board stresses during mounting / operation, and inevitable long term failure. In addition, the relay board is designed to be mounted under hood, near the engine and sensors, whereas the MegaSquirt ECU should be mounted in a temperature-controlled environment - this requires the use of a cable.