HybridZ

Anyone ever tried DIY individual throttle bodies?

PUSHER

Yeah you have a point' date=' that gets rid of using the set of 4 ITB setup. Any opinion on running 2 TB's with 3 runners? I'm really curious about converting the Triples to FI seems like it would require the least amount modification.

Tyson[/quote']

Well for one you would not be using ITB's in IMO. I've alway thought that ITB's are an atractive way to go because in my mind they are intended to be used an a true IR setup.

Why even bother using 2 TB's on 3 runners?? Why not just a single big one? It would be the least amount of work.

Isk

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The angles and lengths on the runners to get 3 into 1 throttle body would suck allot and wouldnt be that efficient, plus I dont know if a bike's diameter throttle body would be big enough. Whats wrong with buying 2 sets of ITBs and using 6?

Nothing is wrong with buying two sets, I might try it out. if it goes wrong I'll just install them on my POS Honda. So I've narrowed it down to the 2 sets of motorcycle or converting the Triple carbs for FI. Does anyone have any information on carbs converted to handle FI??

Tyson

The angles and lengths on the runners to get 3 into 1 throttle body would suck allot and wouldnt be that efficient,

Wouldn't they be remarkably similar to the factory OEM intake manifolds? Considering the factory parts work well until you start pushing past 250hp (67% hp more then stock) I think they are pretty well designed.

Yeah I saw that, but at $1450 for an upgrade that can only support up to 160hp (unless you upgrade injectors) and not including an ECU or wiring harness seems fairly expensive in comparison to what your are getting. Definately still think they are a very cool product.

Tyson

Guest Dorifto

Here's my idea on DIY - ITBs ...

Using 6 small Honda D-series [D15 used in most Civics] throttle bodies, mounted cleverly, and with an ingenious throttle actuation design, could prove quite gainful. The manifold itself would be designed around this TB setup idea.

Now, for the most descriptive way to relay this idea to you ... pictures. :D

hondaitb18mr.jpg

hondaitb26yc.jpg

Like it said in the first image, there will be a balance tube, which will most likely also house the MAP sensor to accurately monitor incoming air, unless I end up running an AFM or MAF setup [unlikely]. Also, the balance tube setup could be used as a vacuum source for power-assisted braking systems, or anything else that needs vacuum.

By pulling on the throttle linkage, all 6 TBs will open at the same time [the use of threaded shafts, knuckles and joints would be used for adjustability]. I'm actually not sure which direction Honda TBs open, so this is a VERY RUDIMENTARY sketch of how it will work. If they open opposite of the above, the setup will be reversed, so still pulling the throttle to the left [in the pics] will open the TBs. I hope that made sense. :D Then, only one TPS would need to be installed on one TB [most likely the furthest left TB in the pics]. Fuel injectors would be in he stock manifold's locations.

So far, I don't see any inherent flaws. Let me know what you guys think.

-Dave-O

It's been a while for me but that looks/sounds like what I was planning on. On thing I noticed in your posts is that you mentioned that you would be using an E31, E31's won't accept a N47 manifold W/ Injectors. You will need to use a FI head or do something about the injectors.

Why not use the injectors off the bike? I know on some of the newer CBR's they have some bad a$$ injection setups.

What is the size of the TB's? Oh, I see they are 54mm. That's BIG. Is that right? I would think 54mm on even a 3.1 would be too much. But on a SBC!!!

Isk

My system uses a Pot type 240sx TPS. My system also uses STOCK lingkage, so you can use your stock linkage bar, so NO modifying. ALL directy bolt on mechanicly anyways. This system has to be used with a MAP style based ECU, ie. Megasquirt, SDS, etc. TB's are 46mm, which will flow ALOT more than a DCOE 45, as there are no chokes :)